• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Debt, U.S.A.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
The national debt of the U.S.A. is (as of January 12 2005):

$7,605,505,275,026.67

http://brillig.com/debt_clock/

t3gah

I'm so confused with politics.

Why doesn't the government just print up some more money and pay off efveryone with it?

I mean, what's the harm?

What could this do?

What could making the value of the dollar go down worse than making everyone pay more taxes to pay it off instead?!

I guess one would have to be a politician to understand their mentality.:banghead3

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
If every American was to donate to the cause of removing the debt, each one would have to pay around $25,000. :rolleyes:

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
... I'm not even going to touch the issue of just printing money at whim.

Can someone with more patience than me address that?

t3gah

The whole problem with government is that they are allowed to take out financial loans based on the collatoral of upcoming taxes. Not a problem if someone is keeping track of the loans. But this isn't the case. The government is allowed to continually borrow and borrow and borrow until the debt reachs a google I suppose. But in the business sector one can file chapter 7 and then chapter 11 to ward off paying back the debt. The recourse of the US government is always raise taxes to pay it off but they never make a law stating that government can't take out any more loans.

The deficit is an imaginary number because it never gets paid off, the country is never in peril because of it and taxes never meet the goal of paying it off. It's just a selling point for re-election. And of course something for everyone else to debate over.:149:

Ceridwen018

The danger of the US dollor going down in value, is that it causes inflation, and eventually the whole economy collapses. Not good.

No*s

Captain Obvious
T3gah, because money is worthless. You are on the righ track when you consider things imaginary, but it isn't the debt. It's the dollar bill. The dollar bill is a piece of paper we ascribe value to. It has none. Real value lies in metals, wood, stone, food, etc. Money is what we use to regulate this and trade it stably. The national debt measures how much of this material we owe in dollar values. We owe the money, and while the number is measured in an artificial measurement, it is quite real.

Why not print more money? Well, if we did that, then we drive down the force of the dollar. If we print 30% more money than normal, then for a while we're in hog heaven, but after a while, the dollar weakens correspondingly, because the material and production backing it hasn't increased correspondingly. The effect of that makes it harder for us to buy when other currencies remain stable. Taking that route would weaken our bartering power and destroy us economically...

anders

And guess who has been kind enough to finance that deficit...

Just you wait until China gets tired of supporting you, and switches to, for example, supporting the Indian Rupee or strengthening the Euro, and you'll find the US of A up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

huajiro

You can't just print money without anything to back it up....the US is living on borrowed time. The only thing that keeps us going is that we generate money, we just don't pay anything.

Why don't we learn to live with less?

We could continue our mass production and feed the world. No, we only care about ourselves.

Capitalism is the cancer of the planet.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Quite right, Anders. The US has a huge investment in China. If China switched to the Euro as its fundamental currency the Us would be in deep S**t!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
America has indeed entered the "Bush League".

Let's not beat around the "Bush"... there is only one man that has engineered this castastrophe.

In short, we have been amBushed.

They give Bushels of money to the rich.

They continually Buschwack the economy.

We shouldn't need a burning Bush to figure this out.

But then maybe we might.

I'm feeling Bushed.

t3gah

truthseekingsoul said:
The USA is also coincidentally owed more money than any other nation on Earth.
Al Gore said he invented the Internet.

They, the US, print more money than anyone else too. First run, conterfeiters take over the run. Second run, new design, it will work this time.

I could envision a third run that they discover after the debt magically goes down on paper but not publically. They can say it was a Director's cut.:D

No*s

Captain Obvious
huajiro said:
You can't just print money without anything to back it up....the US is living on borrowed time. The only thing that keeps us going is that we generate money, we just don't pay anything.

Why don't we learn to live with less?

We could continue our mass production and feed the world. No, we only care about ourselves.

Capitalism is the cancer of the planet.

We can't print money to solve the problem. We agree wholeheartedly. Living with less? I like that idea quite a bit, though that makes me a hypocrite in more than one area.

Now, in reference to capitalism being a cancer, no, I don't like that idea. Humans are inherently greedy. Capitalism capitalizes on that. It drives technology, and thus produces wealth. As the tech becomes more readily available, other nations will be able to use it. The members of those nations lives will be enriched in turn, and the wealthy will be able to give and help the others.

This same greed that fuels capitalism, though, has a strong capacity to turn practically anything into a nightmare. At least in capitalism, the government isn't often enforcing that power...it's control of the market, which is more fickle.

Of course, capitalism in its pure form is nightmarish, but a mixed economy with a strong lean towards capitalism won't see children working in sweatshops and can break up monopolies. With the US' national debt, I actually think deregulating some of the stuff we regulate is going to be our best answer :(.

Melody

If I ran my finances, or even the finances of my business, like the government, they'd throw me in jail and throw away the key. Someone explain to me how you can rationally explain loaning money (or giving money) when you're already in debt?

I can just see me trying to explain to the bank that I would like a $1,000 loan to give to my neighbor to fix his roof when I owe $50,000 that I am already having trouble paying back.

:biglaugh:

Pah

Uber all member
t3gah said:
The deficit is an imaginary number because it never gets paid off, the country is never in peril because of it and taxes never meet the goal of paying it off. It's just a selling point for re-election. And of course something for everyone else to debate over.:149:
It is a burden on your children - paying off the debt and accumulating interest means less money for needed improvements. Financial failure of the United States would mean the economic colapse of the world.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Melody, I agree. Someone needs to give George W. an economics lesson there (he and many, many other politicians both Dem and Rep).