• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neo-deism

Straw Dog

It would be interesting to hear from some modern deists. How do you conceptualize your theology? How do you think it compares to classical deism? Do you find it useful in daily life? Thanks.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
My theology consists of reason first, faith second.
Rather than strain at faulty ontological arguments for the existence of a deity, I accept a First Cause on faith alone.
Classical Deism reasoned that their must be a First Cause. As a modern deist, I can accept that the First Cause cannot be shown to be necessary.
In my daily life, I find the natural wonders of the world and universe fill me with a sense of awe that all of this, according to my faith, came about as the result of actions of the Prime Mover.
Because of this, I embrace nature and a humanistic philosophy as my own form of "worship", as I do not believe God requires, or is aware of, any supplications or worship of itself.

Straw Dog

Thanks for explaining some of the differences between the classical and modern. I never found prayers of supplication to be consistent with faith in a divine plan or process. Can prayers of gratitude fit within the modern deist perspective?

I have a notion of a postmodern deism, although I don't know if it even qualifies as theology. It involves using "God" as a metaphor or personification of that which transcends all comprehension and yet represents the basic foundation and flow of all existence. It would function as a useful focal point for focusing the mind on a symbol for absolute reality while also acknowledging it isn't meant to be a technical explaination of phenomenon.

It works by raising consciousness from the level of the isolated individual to an understanding of oneself as an extension of existence while invoking a sense of awe and reverence. The personification would also be useful for utilizing an Ideal Observer reasoning for approaching moral situations and considerations. Again, it doesn't actually require the existence of a physical entity since it would function more like a useful mental construct, symbol, or representation for consciousness raising and gaining a better moral perspective. Any advice?

Ideal observer theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia