• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New member who is concerend about anti-theism

Hello everyone, I'm a new member to these forums, just looking to make some connections with like minded people. My name is Chris and though I consider myself mostly agnostic, I have a strong feeling that faith and spirituality (Regardless of religion) is an important aspect of life. My beliefs are an eclectic mix of Christianity, Buddhism, magic, science and logic, and I enjoy chatting about pretty much any religious topic.

I'm deeply interested in supporting Spiritual / Religious freedom for all people, and am deeply against what I've come to see as anti-theism. I've actually been very concerned lately about a trend I've noticed around the internet, in which anti-religious arguments and opinions are being spread as dogmatic fact. These arguments are often emotionally compelling, but misleading or twisted versions of religion and faith.

Anyone else concerned by the spread of anti-religion / anti-theism, especially on the internet?

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for a community of people who believe that faith itself is a valid, rational choice for anyone to make.

Cheers!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello everyone, I'm a new member to these forums, just looking to make some connections with like minded people. My name is Chris and though I consider myself mostly agnostic, I have a strong feeling that faith and spirituality (Regardless of religion) is an important aspect of life. My beliefs are an eclectic mix of Christianity, Buddhism, magic, science and logic, and I enjoy chatting about pretty much any religious topic.

I'm deeply interested in supporting Spiritual / Religious freedom for all people, and am deeply against what I've come to see as anti-theism. I've actually been very concerned lately about a trend I've noticed around the internet, in which anti-religious arguments and opinions are being spread as dogmatic fact. These arguments are often emotionally compelling, but misleading or twisted versions of religion and faith.

Anyone else concerned by the spread of anti-religion / anti-theism, especially on the internet?

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for a community of people who believe that faith itself is a valid, rational choice for anyone to make.

Cheers!

Welcome Chris,

You'll find diversity of opinion here, and both those that agree and disagree with you. Personally, I find that stimulating, but I guess it depends what you're looking for...

In any case, enjoy.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

Cheers!
I followed the anti-theist movement for a while (and by follow I mean watch it evolve, I do not agree with it). Until I eventually grew too tired of the hate that is constantly thrown at us believers. But yeah, I know what your talking about. Although this topic has been quite taboo here on RF in the past. There hasn't been too many threads on it recently so that may have changed, but I could be wrong.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Personally, I don't think theism is very helpful to faith, generally speaking. Opinions will of course vary.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Although this topic has been quite taboo here on RF in the past. There hasn't been too many threads on it recently so that may have changed, but I could be wrong.

Really? Not doubting your sincerity, just never noticed that. I can see where it might get...erm...emotive.

Thanks for all the welcome posts! Nice to see such a busy community!

Yes, anti-theism does seem a bit hate filled at times, so I can see why it might be a bit of a taboo subject. I'm not really looking to argue with non-believers, just wondering what other people might think about the whole movement against religion.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I would be more concerned about anti-theists than anti-theism.

I am a panentheism myself, but I think ideas are fair game to attack and critisize to core if so is the will.

Then again, law should indeed not be anti-theism . Of course, it shouldnt be pro-theism either.

That's MHO though

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi SpiritualFreedom1, welcome to RF.

And don't listen to the gossip: truth is there are very few things that are taboo here.

I've started and participated in more than one thread addressing the anti-theist/anti-theism issue myself.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
You must not comment on youtube much. :(

I only "except" both sides in as much as the other person is willing to do the same. You can't really be "anti" anything and claim to do that. Can you?

Oh yes I have read many comments over a number of years, but my point is there is no real difference between both, it just depends on what side you are on, neither one is perfect.

The Neo Nerd

Whilst theists continue to act in the revolting ways they do, anti theists are going to voice their disgust at them (i know all theists aren't like that though).

That being said whilst I am atheistic and areligious and have followed the anti-religious groups, the constant negativity has turned me away from them.

That also being said if one preaches hatred and intolerance of their fellow man due to their religious beliefs they deserve everything they get.

also welcome to the forum.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Whilst theists continue to act in the revolting ways they do, anti theists are going to voice their disgust at them (i know all theists aren't like that though).

Indeed many of us theists feel the same way about them :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The power of anti-theists seems to be waning...the fall of the USSR, the PRC easing up on believers (except for Tibet). And in the west believers are able to worship pretty easily. The big threat I see is from fellow believers who want to impose their dogma & traditions upon others, especially in Islamic countries.