• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Name for UU?

EverChanging

Should Unitarian Universalism be re-named? Any suggestions as to new names?

It's a mouthful to say, but I haven't heard of any other names I would be comfortable with, especially since I think Unitarianism and Universalism are still important to the religion's history, no matter how much it has changed in some ways.

J Bryson

It's a mouthful, to be sure, but I don't think that a rebranding is in order. Despite the fact that it does seem to marginalize half of the history of the combined churches, I find "Unitarian" to be a convenient shorthand.

JamieA1A

Didn't the name come about upon the merger of the Ubitarians and Universalim churches? For short your UU seems to do very nicely.

keithnurse

I can't think of any good alternative names either. For now I just say I'm a UU and if a person doesn't know what that stands for they'll ask and I'll tell them "Unitarian Universalist" and they say "what's that again?". I don't like the idea of shortening it to Unitarian, at least not yet. I'd rather shorten it to Unversalist but I know too many people would object to that.

J Bryson

I can't think of any good alternative names either. For now I just say I'm a UU and if a person doesn't know what that stands for they'll ask and I'll tell them "Unitarian Universalist" and they say "what's that again?". I don't like the idea of shortening it to Unitarian, at least not yet. I'd rather shorten it to Unversalist but I know too many people would object to that.

I understand what you're saying there. I use "Unitarian" because it's a shorthand that more people will be familiar with. I don't think that "Universalist" would be as immediately understandable to the majority of people out there.

applewuud

Should Unitarian Universalism be re-named? Any suggestions as to new names?

It's a mouthful to say, but I haven't heard of any other names I would be comfortable with, especially since I think Unitarianism and Universalism are still important to the religion's history, no matter how much it has changed in some ways.

Absolutely the name of our movement needs to be changed...what our congregations are today has very little to do with the now-obscure 19th-century theological issues reflected in our name.

"Unitarian" is a label for Christians who felt the Trinity was not a biblically-based or provable doctrine, and that the oneness of God is absolute. "Universalist" regards a doctrine of heaven and hell, rejecting the idea of eternal damnation, preaching the eventual salvation of all souls by a loving God (hence "All Souls" as the name of many UU churches/fellowships/societies). Today's UUs aren't necessarily Christian, don't care much about biblical arguments, tend to not believe in an afterlife with punishments. I'm deeply interested in church history and the evolution of our theology myself, but have come to believe that the people we're reaching out to aren't into these issues.

Another issue is confusion with the Unity church, which is nice and liberal but much more "spiritual" and Christian, or with the Unification Church of Rev. Sun Myung Moon.

Think about it...in my lifetime, New England Telephone became Bell Atlantic, then NYNEX, now Verizon. Same old Bell telephones, but a whole different logo for a new time. Are we missing something?

I'd hold off on a "rebranding" until UUs actually go through a transformation justifying a rebranding...which I believe will happen in the next 25 years. However, note the "folder" our group is in here on Religious Forums: "Syncretic Religions". Syncretic means we're taking parts of other religions and putting them together, looking for the best of each. I'd never heard this term before coming to RF, but think it's much more about who we are than "Unitarian/Universalism".

In any case, this "mouthful" is holding us back. :D

applewuud

See also this old thread about Syncreticism...

So, what is Syncretic Religion? (ritual, tradition, contradiction, beliefs)