• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Song Bumps Jason Aldean's Song

esmith

Veteran Member
Seems that an unknow artist has bumped "Try That In A Small Town" from the top of the country music chart.
Oliver Anthony’s “Rich Men North of Richmond” shot to the top of the U.S. Apple Music and iTunes Country charts and racked up more than 9 million views in five days.
Of course the "left" has labled this as a "conservative anthem and other sources say that it is a "blue color anthem".
Now it apperas to me that the song is lamenting working-class frustrations.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Should this be in the music forum?

Technically, a correct suggestion, but given the "legs" this song has grown in a few short days, it now easily falls under the heading of political debate, but upon re-reading the OP, @esmith what exactly are we debating? At least @fantome profane gave us a question to work from.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think the lyrics blaming "obese welfare recipients" do reflect certain right wing views concerning welfare.

Personally, I've worked insane hours for little pay before as well but never felt jealous over a bag of fudge rounds.

esmith

Veteran Member
Should this be in the music forum?

Technically, a correct suggestion, but given the "legs" this song has grown in a few short days, it now easily falls under the heading of political debate, but upon re-reading the OP, @esmith what exactly are we debating? At least @fantome profane gave us a question to work from.
Reference the subject "The Jason Aldean Controversy" in this forum
In a roundabout way I was attempting to show the political bias of NBC news, along with other liberal media outlets, in calling it a "Conservative Anthem"; whereas Fox News refered to it as a "Blue-Collor Anthem". I would hazzard to assume that blue-color workers could be on both sides of the political aisle. Or does the Left make the assumption that all blue collor workers are all conservatives? If so then the 2024 elections could be a rude awaking for Democrats.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
bias of NBC news, along with other liberal media outlets, in calling it a "Conservative Anthem"; whereas Fox News refered to it as a "Blue-Collor Anthem"
And I suppose you believe one of these descriptions is correct and one of them is wrong?

I don't think either should be covering these songs as if they are news. Report as part of the entertainment segment, but neither should be reporting this like it is news.

I would hazzard to assume that blue-color workers could be on both sides of the political aisle.
Maybe you should ask them.
1692136793822.jpeg

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
There's a long history of working blues songs, just depends who "the man" is.

This would be another in a long line of them, some better than others. Here are the lyrics to the song in the OP, and yeah - I can see why right-wingers would love it, considering the lyrics about people on welfare. Yeah, those lines do just hit that right-wing sweet spot!

I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day
Overtime hours for bull**** pay
So I can sit out here and waste my life away
Drag back home and drown my troubles away

It's a damn shame what the world's gotten to
For people like me and people like you
Wish I could just wake up and it not be true
But it is, oh, it is

Livin' in the new world
With an old soul
These rich men north of Richmond
Lord knows they all just wanna have total control
Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do
And they don't think you know, but I know that you do
'Cause your dollar ain't **** and it's taxed to no end
'Cause of rich men north of Richmond

I wish politicians would look out for miners
And not just minors on an island somewhere
Lord, we got folks in the street, ain't got nothin' to eat
And the obese milkin' welfare​

Well, God, if you're 5-foot-3 and you're 300 pounds
Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds
Young men are puttin' themselves six feet in the ground
'Cause all this damn country does is keep on kickin' them down

Lord, it's a damn shame what the world's gotten to
For people like me and people like you
Wish I could just wake up and it not be true
But it is, oh, it is

Livin' in the new world
With an old soul
These rich men north of Richmond
Lord knows they all just wanna have total control
Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do
And they don't think you know, but I know that you do
'Cause your dollar ain't **** and it's taxed to no end
'Cause of rich men north of Richmond

I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day
Overtime hours for bull**** pay​

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
In a roundabout way I was attempting to show the political bias of NBC news, along with other liberal media outlets, in calling it a "Conservative Anthem"; whereas Fox News refered to it as a "Blue-Collor Anthem". I would hazzard to assume that blue-color workers could be on both sides of the political aisle. Or does the Left make the assumption that all blue collor workers are all conservatives? If so then the 2024 elections could be a rude awaking for Democrats.

Did you read your NBC link? Third para:

The song's lyrics, a soulful expression of working-class frustrations while tearing into wealthy Washington elites, have made it an anti-establishment anthem, especially among blue-collar workers.

Yerda

Veteran Member
As a song, it is much better than it is a lot better than the Jason Aldean one. Good voice, sings it like he means it. Whining about people recieving benefits is a bit dim, imo, but can't fault the delivery.