• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

eclectic23

eclectic23
hello everyone, and thankyou for the warm welcome. im here mostly for self education ,although im sure my opinions will be shared! as far as i can see so far this seems like a great place to be. im a mother of 4 (stepmom to 5) i am originally from nyc. I live in northern florida for about 2 years now. its a southern baptist community. No offense intended but i do not share the beliefs of most around here. it becomes difficult to avoid because everything in the community revolves around church. my children even pray in public school. i dont really have a problem with this, but i am facing a problem that im not sure how to deal with. i was not surprised when my oldest son (9) told me he wants to go to church. all of his friends do. every afterschool activity involves church. i knew it was comming. the only answer i could think of was that we would talk about the different beliefs of religion and when he desides what he believes we would pick a church. i must admit, im not pleased with my choices. i dont want my son to miss out, and yet i want him to be able to form his own opinions in life. so i figured i would take my own advise. id better educate myself. dont get me wrong, ive always been intersested and have read alot about different religions(not many other kids cut school to go to the library). all the different information on this site alone is enough to glue me to my laptop for the next 6 months! im hoping to get a better grasp on what i believe and maybe it will give me more tollerance along the way.

wish me luck all, i will need your help! :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
hello everyone, and thankyou for the warm welcome. im here mostly for self education ,although im sure my opinions will be shared! as far as i can see so far this seems like a great place to be. im a mother of 4 (stepmom to 5) i am originally from nyc. I live in northern florida for about 2 years now. its a southern baptist community. No offense intended but i do not share the beliefs of most around here. it becomes difficult to avoid because everything in the community revolves around church. my children even pray in public school. i dont really have a problem with this, but i am facing a problem that im not sure how to deal with. i was not surprised when my oldest son (9) told me he wants to go to church. all of his friends do. every afterschool activity involves church. i knew it was comming. the only answer i could think of was that we would talk about the different beliefs of religion and when he desides what he believes we would pick a church. i must admit, im not pleased with my choices. i dont want my son to miss out, and yet i want him to be able to form his own opinions in life. so i figured i would take my own advise. id better educate myself. dont get me wrong, ive always been intersested and have read alot about different religions(not many other kids cut school to go to the library). all the different information on this site alone is enough to glue me to my laptop for the next 6 months! im hoping to get a better grasp on what i believe and maybe it will give me more tollerance along the way.

That's rough. My advice would be to do your best to educate him, including why you don't believe Christianity (I'm assuming, correct me if I'm wrong), but let him go with his friends.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Welcome!
Sorry to hear about your predicament. I hope things sort themselves out soon for you!
I agree with Storm, that's probably the best thing you can do in your circumstances, hope to see more of you around! :)

Just_me_Mike

Hi...
Life will work itself out. Not to sound vague, but it always does. It is only through our own eyes do we perceive it to be correct or not.
Your children are now part of the same thing you are.
However, remember they're children. They only perceive an amount equal to their effort. In most cases they are concerned with socializing.
When your 9 year old comes home ask what was learned. I think you will find, they will mostly remember the fun they had with their friends and not what was being taught. If they do remember anything that was taught, flesh it out. Seeing that no one can prove or disprove the existence of God, you can only guide them to think for themselves and not follow blindly.
Then, maybe one day you will be comfortable to allow life to unfold for them knowing they can think for themselves, no matter where they are or what they are hearing.
Peace~

DadBurnett

Instigator

Welcome!
From a father of eight (six boys and tweo girls) my suggestion would be to let him go to church with his friends. After all, there are worse things he could do and the experience just may help him through his teen years.
My experience that a parent's opposition to something most often serves to stir up rebellion. Be honest with him about your feelings and beliefs but give him the freedom to make up his own mind about the stuff of life.
I don't wish you luck ... I wish you patience, understanding and wisdom ...

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Welcome. I hope you don't mind my commenting (being that I am childless as of yet).

In my opinion, the best thing you can do for your children is to give them an ethical and intellectual foundation. If you teach them to think and you teach them that they should remain ethical, then they will find their way with the foundations that you have given them.

Also, remember that whatever you tell them, you are the example they will look at. Do not tell them something is wrong and then go do it. Live what you believe, teach them what you believe, give them a solid foundation, and when they go out to find their own way, they won't go too far off the track of being intellectually and ethically honest.