• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice site for poetry, sumbel toasts and more

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I stumbled on this and thought I'd share it. This guy is apparently an accomplished skald. There are invocations, sumbel toasts, and poems.

Eirik Westcoat, Skald | Asatru Poet and Writer — Bringing the Mead to Midgard

You really have to tool around on the site.

Here are just some samples. I think I am going to use these in my regular toasts:

A Toast to Thor

Hail Thor,
thunder’s wielder,
Asgard’s chosen champion;
that bane of etins,
and best of warriors
is father to Modi and Magni.

He slew Hrungnir
and hammered Thrym
with peerless might and main.
For warding well
this world of Midgard,
Hail to thunderous Thor!

To the Gods and Goddesses

Hail to the Gods
and Goddesses all,
our awesome elder kin.
Their bright blessings
are a benefit here
to the men and women of Midgard.

Through words and works,
our worth we grow,
and our offerings are filled with honor;
their gifts with gifts
we gladly repay!
Hail to the Gods and Goddesses!

To the Ancestors

Hail to our Ancestors
of elder times,
for their mighty words and works.
That Folk endured
with fame undying
preserved in legend and lore.

Our efforts today
honor them anew
with further words and works.
For the bright blessings
in the bonds we share,
Hail to our Holy Ancestors!

To the Landvaettir

Hail the Landvættir,
the holy spirits
who ward both land and life.
You roam and rest
in rocks and trees
and live on might and main.
From forest and field,
fare to our stead,
arrive at our garth in grith.
Hear our call,
come today:
share in our brightest blessing.

My own addition:
From the Gods to the Earth to us;
From us to the Earth to the Gods;
A gift for a gift, hail!

[Now pour a little in a small container, guzzle down the rest of the horn :D]

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Nice!

I may have to adapt some of these into more Anglic forms for my own personal use.

EDIT: Gah! The link doesn't work!

EDIT2: There it goes. Stupid internet.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I like these, always inspiration all around from so many people, so many sources. :)

One of the great things when it comes to inspiration - we don't have any last prophet, last seer, last whatever that would separate the vigor of these traditions' essence and power from today. I think some folks get that misconception about any forms of religion deemed reconstructionist, yet it is often non-reconstructionist traditions are more stagnant and stuck in the past. It all has to be alive.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I like these, always inspiration all around from so many people, so many sources. :)

One of the great things when it comes to inspiration - we don't have any last prophet, last seer, last whatever that would separate the vigor of these traditions' essence and power from today. I think some folks get that misconception about any forms of religion deemed reconstructionist, yet it is often non-reconstructionist traditions are more stagnant and stuck in the past. It all has to be alive.

There's a reason I title my religion here as "Old Way Made New". I'm not seeking to emulate the long past. I'm seeking to bring the old spirit and way of thinking into a form that is compatible with, and even complementary of, the modern world. That can't happen if I limit myself to 1,000 year old texts that were written in a cultural context that we have so little knowledge of.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
For sure... it's not like the book is closed on creating new texts. Most of the lore and mythology is poetic, none of it divinely inspired or handed down such that it's a "done deal". If there were skalds in 11th century Scandinavia, why can't there be modern day skalds? Granted it's a pretty much lost art form, but here we have at least one person doing it. I think the person who would take the time to learn the craft would also work within certain accepted boundaries. That is, I don't think someone is going to write a skaldic poem about Thor and his Harley. Oh wait... that's Marvel Comics. :p