• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nicotine patches and weird dreams

We Never Know

No Slack
I've smoked for 40 years. Its just as much a habit as a nicotine addiction. Well last week I decided to quit(with my daughters requesting) so I got those nicotine patches.
They do knock the crave away but I have to keep my hands busy to avoid the habit and I chew on a plastic straw or stick.
What I found out is I have to take them off before I go to bed because they cause restlessness and crazy dreams for me.

For example one dream...I was somewhere on a bike with a basket, had a baby wrapped up in a blanket and in the basket. Stopped and walked over to a vendor to get a bottle of water and someone took the baby. By standers pointed out it was in a white 4 door car and pointed at it as its was getting on the highway. I stoled a truck, chased them down, got them pinned by forcing them off the road and to my surprise it was my father, my mother and my brother.
I pretty much woke up after that. The thing is my father died in Vietnam in 1965, my mother died in 2010 and my brother died in 2011. So yeah. I quit wearing them to bed lol

Has anyone else tried them and had weird dreams or such?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When I quit, I used the gum. Of course it was quite a while ago and I don't remember the patch being available.

I too had to substitute activities from the hand-to-mouth repetition so that is familiar.

I don't remember weird dreams at the time but I might have had some and just forgot them over the years.

The destination is worth the journey - that I do know.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It sometimes takes more than one time. I quit originally with the gum. But then a high stress event occurred and I got sucked back in. About 12 years ago I quit for good. I weaned myself down to a third of a pack of a day and then jumped to no smoking at all. I got a massive asthma attack that sent me to the hospital for three days. Possibly related to no longer hacking up crud on a regular basis. The hospital kept offering me the patch. I had to keep saying no since I was done for good. And I was good to my word. The urge was still there for quite some time but it went down a little bit more each day. Nicotine patches etc. can help, but one needs to wean oneself off of them too. The good thing about patches is that they have different dosages which means one can do it systematically.

Good luck. You can do it.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've smoked for 40 years. Its just as much a habit as a nicotine addiction. Well last week I decided to quit(with my daughters requesting) so I got those nicotine patches.
They do knock the crave away but I have to keep my hands busy to avoid the habit and I chew on a plastic straw or stick.
What I found out is I have to take them off before I go to bed because they cause restlessness and crazy dreams for me.

For example one dream...I was somewhere on a bike with a basket, had a baby wrapped up in a blanket and in the basket. Stopped and walked over to a vendor to get a bottle of water and someone took the baby. By standers pointed out it was in a white 4 door car and pointed at it as its was getting on the highway. I stoled a truck, chased them down, got them pinned by forcing them off the road and to my surprise it was my father, my mother and my brother.
I pretty much woke up after that. The thing is my father died in Vietnam in 1965, my mother died in 2010 and my brother died in 2011. So yeah. I quit wearing them to bed lol

I used them to finally quit, and I mostly followed the directions. I started with the strong patches, then went to the light patches. Then quit. In my experience I was like you still wanting a cig, but the patch helped me not to be grouchy.

I typically don't remember my dreams. I think I did have one dream but nothing related to the patch.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When I quit, I used the gum. Of course it was quite a while ago and I don't remember the patch being available.

I too had to substitute activities from the hand-to-mouth repetition so that is familiar.

I don't remember weird dreams at the time but I might have had some and just forgot them over the years.

The destination is worth the journey - that I do know.
Does the gum burn your mouth?

Poisonshady313

I got my uncle to stop smoking by having him read a book called The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr.

Actually, based on my recommendation, a few people here on RF have read the book and successfully stopped smoking.

It uses elements of cognitive behavioral therapy to get your mind prepared to stop without nicotine replacement. It's unlikely that you will experience cravings and it's unlikely that you will start smoking again for any reason.

I think it's worth giving it a shot.

We Never Know

No Slack
I used them to finally quit, and I mostly followed the directions. I started with the strong patches, then went to the light patches. Then quit. In my experience I was like you still wanting a cig, but the patch helped me not to be grouchy.

I typically don't remember my dreams. I think I did have one dream but nothing related to the patch.

That's my plan. Start with the stronger patches then taper down to lower ones over time.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I've never used the patch before. I have used the gum before when in the hospital and it was useless so I ended up smoking cigs that another patient gave me (vaping was banned for some stupid reason). The only viable smoking cessation method that works for me is vaping, really. It works better than nicotine and patches. Too bad the government in cahoots with the tobacco corps are trying to destroy it.