• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more space operas?

Back in the early 2000s we had awesome epic space operas like Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5. I used to see a lot of commercials promoting the Battlestar Galactica TV series back in 2004-05. Unfortunately I did not get into the genre until earlier this year when I played the first Mass Effect under the recommendation of one of my friends. I thought the Battle for the Citadel scene was epic.

[youtube]bNnd6oUEQ2I[/youtube]
Mass Effect - Battle for the Citadel - Paragon - 1080p - YouTube

Why don't we see shows like Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5 anymore? Did the network execs decide the genre was dead? I miss epic space battles.

Halo is one of the most popular video games and they got Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg to produce their own Halo series. Could Halo be the last hope to bring space operas back?

Halo_Nightfall.JPG

[youtube]4-WLfwv2zIk[/youtube]
Xbox One - Halo TV Series Announcement - YouTube

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
When they cancelled the original Battlestar Galactica back in the late 70s, they did it because it was too expensive to make. That might be the reason they're not making shows like that now. Unfortunately, reality shows are much cheaper: People seem to like those, although I can't figure out why.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
When they cancelled the original Battlestar Galactica back in the late 70s, they did it because it was too expensive to make. That might be the reason they're not making shows like that now. Unfortunately, reality shows are much cheaper: People seem to like those, although I can't figure out why.
Price is certainly an objection, Christine, but one cannot overlook how abysmal much of the space programs have been. You have great special effects, generally poor acting and predictable, boring story-lines.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Price is certainly an objection, Christine, but one cannot overlook how abysmal much of the space programs have been. You have great special effects, generally poor acting and predictable, boring story-lines.
Aye, Star Trek seemed at times to be a soap opera, but without Calculon.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Unfortunately, reality shows are much cheaper: People seem to like those, although I can't figure out why.
It's likely it's the only thing to watch. I don't know anybody that actually likes those shows. It's tiring to see suburbanites pretending to be real hillbillys and redneck s ad nausiem or idiot shows with towtrucks or investigating "ghosts" with silly gadgets and calling it a science.