• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No one likes them anymore?

1960s-Star Trek
1970s-Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek: The Animated Series
1980s to 1990s-Star Trek The Next Generation
2000s-Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Firefly, Farscape, Stargate Universe
2010s-?

No one likes sci fi/space opera anymore? I think our generation needs a space adventure.

Why We Need More Space Adventures

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I think there are heaps of different tupes of scifi that has been happening, just maybe not as epic.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Been a closet 'trek'er for a long time.

We do need writers like the ones for Next Generation.
They repeatedly sneak theological and social commentary into the plot!

No doubt, many people are now well versed in spiritual commentary and never realized the lessons were dealt!.....even as they were watching!

Last edited:

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Does Breaking Bad count? It has chemistry and that's sciency.

HonestJoe

I don't think it's people not liking space opera and much as there just being natural cycles or fashion. If you strip out the endless Star Trek franchise and remember a few of the other 70s/80s space opera type shows, there is really two big lumps (not entirely coincidental to the two Star Wars trilogies).

I think there could be a technical/budgetary factor too. For action in space, you need lots of CGI. There was a period this was prohibitively expensive for TV but it got cheaper. Now though, I think there is a level of expectation of quality form TV viewers (somewhat spoiled by big-budget films) which pushes up the work and money a show would need to put in to that aspect. It’s not impossible but it makes shows set on Earth (or somewhere Earth can stand in for) more appealing to the money men who really run things.

Of course, if you want a real wasteland, try thinking of high-fantasy themed TV shows (or quality films for that matter) and you'll realise spaceships get have had more than their fair share of coverage.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I think there could be a technical/budgetary factor too. For action in space, you need lots of CGI. There was a period this was prohibitively expensive for TV but it got cheaper. Now though, I think there is a level of expectation of quality form TV viewers (somewhat spoiled by big-budget films) which pushes up the work and money a show would need to put in to that aspect. It’s not impossible but it makes shows set on Earth (or somewhere Earth can stand in for) more appealing to the money men who really run things.
I think a lot has to do with this actually. There has to be a huge expectation that the story line, the draw, everything about the show is going to be good enough to keep the influx of viewership and money coming for a while. So many scifi shows, placed here on Earth, seem to wither out with just one season. Sad to see them go. But a lot of times the money just isn't there to keep them going. Marketing is a huge thing. Plain and simple, it has to be good. Really really good.

But then, what do I know, I'm a walking billboard :p

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think there was some genre fatigue after some disappointments with the latest interactions of Stargate, Star Trek and Babylon 5. And a bit of a turnover towards superhero movies and series.