• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No other name but Jesus

InChrist

Free4ever
I have noticed that no other name, but the name of Jesus is used as a curse word. Well before I trusted Jesus Christ as God my Savior I lived overseas in Asia and I never heard anyone use the names of Buddha or Krishna as curse words. Over the years I've never heard the names of any religious figures or other gods used as curse words in the media or in peoples conversations...except the name of Jesus Christ. I definitely have my opinion as to why this is, but has anyone else thought about or noticed this?

Tristesse

I have noticed that no other name, but the name of Jesus is used as a curse word. Well before I trusted Jesus Christ as God my Savior I lived overseas in Asia and I never heard anyone use the names of Buddha or Krishna as curse words. Over the years I've never heard the names of any religious figures or other gods used as curse words in the media or in peoples conversations...except the name of Jesus Christ. I definitely have my opinion as to why this is, but has anyone else thought about or noticed this?

The name Jesus christ rolls off the tongue better. But jesus is an english translation, so, if they were really cursing that deity perhaps Yeshua would work better. Not really sure though, there are many memes in our culture that get passed along as the norm.

Enlighten

I have heard "oh for god sake" used to express anger too.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
"Holy Mother of God"
"Oh God"
"ALLAHU AKBAR!!!!!!" (Kinda like, "WHYYY???")
I sometimes say "Holy Skyfairy!"

terryboy

The muslim in Malaysia says lā ilāha illá l-Lāh, when they are surprised.

The chinese says "Tian A!" (oh heaven!),

In my tribal language we say "Tikong ma chokong" (Heaven, Gods and Ancestors)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Some G-Vaishnavas say 'Krishna!' when surprised, but it isn't meant as a curse.

Trey of Diamonds

Ok, I have no scholarly info to back this up but this is my best guess on the subject. Cursing in the name of Gods was a European pagan tradition that was absorbed when the Roman Empire spread Christianity through Europe. How's that sound?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I have no opinion as to why this is, but it absolutely infuriates me to hear someone use the name of my Savior as an epithet. I would rather hear the F-word, in all honesty. Jesus Christ's name is holy and should be spoken only in reverence.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I always thought it was because we are praying to god or jesus christ when something bad happened. "JC why is this happening?" I suppose throwing in the F word in there doesn't make much of a prayer which is why I throw in "H" instead. Kinda like a scapegoat thing like they blame god or jesus when something happens. Same thing when someone says "God damn it" or "damn you" etc.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I find the linguistics of “bad words” a fascinating topic. They tend to break down in to three basic categories 1. Religious references, 2. Sexual references, and 3. Bodily excretions. And what is amazing is that this pattern holds true across languages and cultures.

And I can sympathize with people who are upset when hearing these “sacred” words or names used this way, but the fact is that these words are used this way because they are “sacred”.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
finland_by_dvdsnsam-d34lxya.jpg

Perkele...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As this is under religious debates....we should consider....
Picture your last hour...and when it arrives....so too the angels....

They snatch you up and take you to your Prophet.
He turns to you...looks you in the eye, and would ask the angels that brought you...'What is this!...?'

They back away and excuse themselves...
'He used your Name as if it belonged to him. We thought he was one of Yours.'

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

Honestly, it just seems to flow easier. I am sure there is much more to it though. First of all, Buddha seems to hold much more respect than Christ does. What the actual history is, I have no idea. However, the Abrahamic God is the only one who says not to take his name in vain. Buddha, Krishna, and others (to my knowledge) were not super controlling or anything, allowing their followers to speak freely.

In short, I have no idea hahaha.

InChrist

Free4ever
My view is that because Jesus Christ is the name above all names, the name of the Savior through which eternal life comes it is hated by the enemy of God and humanity, the destroyer of life. Satan hates the name of Jesus and he inspires sinful humans to join in his hatred of this name...the one name which will bring his complete submission and defeat.

Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and
that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 1:9-11