• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Arabic Translation

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
So I started reading Muhammad Asad's classic English translation and explanation of the Qur'an. Interestingly, there are some Muslims that do not consider Non-Arabic Translations the Qur'an anymore. This was new to me.

On the same token it was surprising to read that very few people actually understand Arabic.

Any insight that can help me on this?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
As far as I'm aware, most Muslims believe to truly appreciate the Quran you must read it in Arabic. Arabic is an ancient language and its very complex and translating it into European-origin languages is as dangerous as translating the scriptures of the Bible into English.

It's certainly not a sin to read the Quran in another language, but most Muslims would feel - I believe - that it is not as good or as accurate as reading it in Arabic.

Now, my personal beliefs and the beliefs, I know, of most Muslims in the Balkans are different. The Bosnian translation of the Koran from the 1600s is the most common Koran in the country, followed closely by a modern, literal translation of the Koran from Arabic into Bosnian. Very few Bosnians can read Arabic, and most of those who can have a reading level that would make Afghan schoolchildren laugh.

I believe, personally, that is possible to express the meaning of the Koran's every passage in most any language - if enough time and care is taken.

Mujahid Mohammed

Victor said:
So I started reading Muhammad Asad's classic English translation and explanation of the Qur'an. Interestingly, there are some Muslims that do not consider Non-Arabic Translations the Qur'an anymore. This was new to me.
Yes this is true. The Quran was revealed in Arabic so the true Quran is in arabic. For example. Jesus pbuh is not his name. he was originally called Esau in hebrew this is his name. If your name is George. Your name is George. Why translate someones name. If that is what his mother called him then that is what we should call him. A translation is just what it is a translation. The Quran means the recitation. there are many sites where you can actually hear the verses of the quran recited here's one. Aswat Al-Islam.net (www.aswatalislam.net) - Quran - Saad Ghamdi

On the same token it was surprising to read that very few people actually understand Arabic.
In america yes but many people read and understand it. It is the same as any foreign language. But due to all the publicity muslims have been getting there is an increase in the number of people learning or trying to learn. I sincerely appreciate your interest in learning the truth of Islam. Read the tafsir of Ibn Kathir when you read the Quran. The Tafsir means explanation and exegesis. It will give you the correct understanding of the verses. This is how we understand our religion through the words Allah in the Quran and what Muhammed says and what the companions took from him. I hope this helps.

Quiddity

Djamila said:
As far as I'm aware, most Muslims believe to truly appreciate the Quran you must read it in Arabic. Arabic is an ancient language and its very complex and translating it into European-origin languages is as dangerous as translating the scriptures of the Bible into English.

It's certainly not a sin to read the Quran in another language, but most Muslims would feel - I believe - that it is not as good or as accurate as reading it in Arabic.

Now, my personal beliefs and the beliefs, I know, of most Muslims in the Balkans are different. The Bosnian translation of the Koran from the 1600s is the most common Koran in the country, followed closely by a modern, literal translation of the Koran from Arabic into Bosnian. Very few Bosnians can read Arabic, and most of those who can have a reading level that would make Afghan schoolchildren laugh.

I believe, personally, that is possible to express the meaning of the Koran's every passage in most any language - if enough time and care is taken.

That's sorta what I thought too. Muhammed Asad seems to have done one of the best job's in grabbing the message and meaning of the text. He is highly spoken of by others.

Quiddity

Mujahid Mohammed said:
Yes this is true. The Quran was revealed in Arabic so the true Quran is in arabic. For example. Jesus pbuh is not his name. he was originally called Esau in hebrew this is his name. If your name is George. Your name is George. Why translate someones name. If that is what his mother called him then that is what we should call him. A translation is just what it is a translation. The Quran means the recitation. there are many sites where you can actually hear the verses of the quran recited here's one. Aswat Al-Islam.net (www.aswatalislam.net) - Quran - Saad Ghamdi
So you would consider my English Translation as inaccurate or not true?

1904510000.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is the actual book that was shipped to me.

Mujahid Mohammed said:
In america yes but many people read and understand it. It is the same as any foreign language. But due to all the publicity muslims have been getting there is an increase in the number of people learning or trying to learn. I sincerely appreciate your interest in learning the truth of Islam. Read the tafsir of Ibn Kathir when you read the Quran. The Tafsir means explanation and exegesis. It will give you the correct understanding of the verses. This is how we understand our religion through the words Allah in the Quran and what Muhammed says and what the companions took from him. I hope this helps.

The one that was sent to me already has explanations at the bottom. To the right it has the original Arabic text. It's layout is pretty nice and helpful.

Mujahid Mohammed

Victor said:
So you would consider my English Translation as inaccurate or not true?

1904510000.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is the actual book that was shipped to me.

The one that was sent to me already has explanations at the bottom. To the right it has the original Arabic text. It's layout is pretty nice and helpful.
It is as accurate as the translators knowledge of both Quran, history of Islam, and Arabic. There are many factors involved but It should be sufficient but always check with an arabic speaking muslim who is "KNOWLEDGEABLE". Perhaps someone at a mosque in your area. Please remember people in translation still can make mistakes. But at least we give you the actual verse so you can go and ask. I wish the Christians would do that to their many versions. I learn from a sheikh in a actual class studying the religion and we are currently now going through every verse in the Quran. I would like to be able to post some of the lectures but i do not know how. Go to the site Arees Institute

That is the school I go to. check it out. There are book of reference in there to as far as our curriculum. I hope this helps.

Quiddity

Mujahid Mohammed said:
It is as accurate as the translators knowledge of both Quran, history of Islam, and Arabic. There are many factors involved but It should be sufficient but always check with an arabic speaking muslim who is "KNOWLEDGEABLE". Perhaps someone at a mosque in your area. Please remember people in translation still can make mistakes. But at least we give you the actual verse so you can go and ask. I wish the Christians would do that to their many versions. I learn from a sheikh in a actual class studying the religion and we are currently now going through every verse in the Quran. I would like to be able to post some of the lectures but i do not know how. Go to the site Arees Institute

That is the school I go to. check it out. There are book of reference in there to as far as our curriculum. I hope this helps.

I usually ask the same of anyone reading the Bible.

If I remember correctly Muhammed Asad understands Arabic and is occampanied by scholar footnotes and the whole bit. I'll take baby steps at a time.

I have no interest in misrepresenting the Muslim faith. Their is enough people doing that already. :)

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Victor said:

It's great to know you've started reading the English translation of the Quran Victor. It's something normal that a non speaking Arabic seeks a translated copy of the Quran in order to understand it. But one should be careful to choose a good translation of the Quran. The difference between the Arabic copy of the Quran and the English copy of the Quran is that the former is the original, it is the Arabic language that Allah revealed it to Prophet Mohammed peace be upon him through Angel Gabriel (may peace be on him), it is the same one that we read now with no change whatever not even a single letter. The difference is also in the fact that the Arabic Quran is miraculous, no man can ever come up with a book such as the Quran. Also the worship, I mean while praying one must recite the Quran in Arabic and not in English even for the non-speaking Muslims.
Hope this makes sense to you.
Good luck!!!

Peace:)

Quiddity

Peace said:
It's great to know you've started reading the English translation of the Quran Victor. It's something normal that a non speaking Arabic seeks a translated copy of the Quran in order to understand it. But one should be careful to choose a good translation of the Quran. The difference between the Arabic copy of the Quran and the English copy of the Quran is that the former is the original, it is the Arabic language that Allah revealed it to Prophet Mohammed peace be upon him through Angel Gabriel (may peace be on him), it is the same one that we read now with no change whatever not even a single letter. The difference is also in the fact that the Arabic Quran is miraculous, no man can ever come up with a book such as the Quran. Also the worship, I mean while praying one must recite the Quran in Arabic and not in English even for the non-speaking Muslims.
Hope this makes sense to you.
Good luck!!!

Peace:)

I understand. We have something similar in Latin. Hardly anyone speaks it but people in my Church can sing and recite prayers in Latin. Thanks...

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Moon Woman said:
Thank you Victor for posting this thread, it is of great interest to me as well.

For anyone who can answer, is this a good source online?
http://quran.islamicnetwork.com/

Happy that you are interested in reading the Quran dear Moon Woman. But I recommend you to try the following link, it is better and more accurate :
http://www.harunyahya.com/Quran_translation/Quran_translation_index.php

The most accurate translation of the meaning of the Quran is done by Yusuf Ali, and it is in the link above.
Good luck!!!

Peace :)

anders

Peace said:
Happy that you are interested in reading the Quran dear Moon Woman. But I recommend you to try the following link, it is better and more accurate :

The most accurate translation of the meaning of the Quran is done by Yusuf Ali, and it is in the link above.
Good luck!!!

I never thought I would agree with a choice that Harun Yahya made. For those who don't know him,
talkorigins said:
The Science Research Foundation is a translation of Bilim Arastirma Vakfi(BAV). (Note that s in "Arastirma" should have a cedilla accent.) It is an Islamic creationist group from Turkey that has much influence in Turkey. Many of the books and articles it promotes are translations of the author that goes by the pen name of Harun Yahya who has a web site in English, Turkish, and many other languages. Possibly the most well-known book of his is Evolution Deceit. Other BAV web sites on creation/evolution include the Creation of the Universe and The collapse of Darwinism. Harun Yahya has also had at least one article posted on a U.S. creationist site and is the author of a Holocaust-denying book. A past BAV page listed a book called The Holocaust Hoax as being written by Harun Yahya.
But my favourite interpretation of the Qur'an is the one by Yusuf Ali. It is old, but the notes (which unfortunately are not included in the Internet version) make up for it.

A.R. Kidwai wrote in an earlier version of his comments on English translations,
Kidwai said:
Muhammad Asad, The Message of The Qur'an (Gibraltar, 1980). 1 edn. Translated in chaste, idiomatic English by a convert from Judaism to Islam. However, it contains some serious departures from the orthodox viewpoint on a number of Qur'anic statements. Asad appears to be reluctant to accept the literal meaning of some Qur'anic verses. For example, he doubts the throwing of Ibrahim into fire, Jesus speaking in the cradle; refers to Khidr and Dhulqarnain as mythical figures and expresses unconventional views on abrogation (Naskh) theory.
I don't believe in Jesus talking in the cradle (or, for that matter, in the Jesus of the Bible), but Dhulqarnain (He with two horns) is a common name for the clearly non-mythical Alexander the Great.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Peace said:

Good luck!!!

Thank you for the link Peace, I have spent the last hour there reading; there are many many articles and books as well and the site is very clean and easy to navigate.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
anders said:
But my favourite interpretation of the Qur'an is the one by Yusuf Ali.

And the the English translation of the Holy Quran that I provided a link for is that done by Yusuf Ali.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Moon Woman said:
Thank you for the link Peace, I have spent the last hour there reading; there are many many articles and books as well and the site is very clean and easy to navigate.

You are welcome dear MW. Yes indeed the site is interesting :)

Peace

Mujahid Mohammed

Victor said:
I usually ask the same of anyone reading the Bible.

If I remember correctly Muhammed Asad understands Arabic and is occampanied by scholar footnotes and the whole bit. I'll take baby steps at a time.

I have no interest in misrepresenting the Muslim faith. Their is enough people doing that already. :)
it helps to know the life of Muhammed and who his companions were as well because the Quran was revealed over a series of events in his life and the companions witnessed it. And why they were revealed talking to who is very important.
Kudos to you for learning to truth any questions you may have, I am a student and have a teacher who is fluent in the 10 different recitations and is working on his PHD in Fiqh, Islamic Jurisprudence. ask anytime