• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Nontheists' Add 'Winter Solstice' Sign to Religious Displays

Pah

Uber all member
'Nontheists' Add 'Winter Solstice' Sign to Religious Displays
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Morning Editor
December 08, 2004

Complete article

(CNSNews.com) - As the Wisconsin State Capitol decks the halls with season's greetings, a "Winter Solstice" sign stands there to tell people, "There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell."

The Freedom From Religion Foundation said this marks the ninth year it has placed its "Winter Solstice" sign in the first-floor rotunda in Madison.
The Freedom From Religion Foundation said it posts its sign in an effort to balance the annual Nativity pageant and other "displays of religion" that fill the State Capitol in December.

"The nonreligious are 14 percent of the U.S. population," Annie Laurie Gaylor said in a message on her group's website. "If religious activities are going to take place in the Capitol, then there should be representation of the views of Wisconsin's nonreligious citizens as well."

The Freedom From Religion Foundation said its sign "reminds citizens of the real reason for the season" -- the Dec. 21 Winter Solstice, which is the shortest and darkest day of the year.

The group says the Winter Solstice has been celebrated in the Northern Hemisphere for a millenia by festivals of light, decorations of evergreens, gift exchanges, parties and feasts.

"Freethinkers don't mind sharing the season with Christians, but we think the natural origins of many of the customs of this time of year should be acknowledged," Gaylor said.

Pah

Uber all member
Mr_Spinkles said:
I think it's most likely the latter...seems kind of immature.
Perhaps so! Comeuppance is much more childish than arrogance.

Bob

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I really don't care either way...that fact tho that they are making a big stink about it is just silly:jiggy:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I liked the idea until I read this:
from article said:
"Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."
Well this certainly can be true, which we've all seen, I don't like absolutes, and this quote seems to invalidate all belief as wrong and unjustified.