• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not respected?

Why is the video game medium not respected? Roger Ebert did not consider them art. There are people calling for their censorship. Some want them to be relegated to children's entertainment. Should there be massive campaigns to get them to be more accepted in our society? Will the game industry make works that rival the best novels, movies, and TV shows? Is Brothers in Arms our Saving Private Ryan? Is Mass Effect our Star Trek/BSG?

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
Unfortunately a lot of commentators see social/fb gaming as the new norm. Even the mighty Steam is getting inundated with way too many casual/social games

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Video gaming is sacred.

I can't live without video games.

They must be respected.

Just yesterday I was enjoying Need for Speed Rivals and I'm loving it.

I'm a video gamer and I'm proud of it :D

Kerr

Why is the video game medium not respected? Roger Ebert did not consider them art. There are people calling for their censorship. Some want them to be relegated to children's entertainment. Should there be massive campaigns to get them to be more accepted in our society? Will the game industry make works that rival the best novels, movies, and TV shows? Is Brothers in Arms our Saving Private Ryan? Is Mass Effect our Star Trek/BSG?
Video games can definatly be art. The Banner Saga comes to mind. Well, at least it was art to me, but I am very much into heavy story driven games like that, even if they consist of a LOT of text and reading :p. Not sure if I personally would participate in any campagins, though, since I am not that into gaming at this point in my life.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Video games can definatly be art. The Banner Saga comes to mind. Well, at least it was art to me, but I am very much into heavy story driven games like that, even if they consist of a LOT of text and reading :p. Not sure if I personally would participate in any campagins, though, since I am not that into gaming at this point in my life.
Not just art and great stories. Also a virtual punching bag letting frustration safely out via electronic medium. Shame some people don't see it that way. That is what happens when you have an agenda. One track mind stuck on stupid.

Anyway likely will result in more stringent labeling. Wouldnt be surprised if Id will eventually be required to purchase or rent. Oh vey....

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
To be honest, as a gamer, I think video games as they are, are pretty much where they're going to stay.

Some view them as art; others as mindless entertainment. Some games are art; while others are mindless entertainment. I think that's just how it is.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
With all due respect, I just don't think video games are all that important, and I am a gamer, somewhat (Final Fantasy, Age of Empires, Scrabble, Heroes of Might and Magic, etc.)

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't think Roger Ebert is the final boss of what does or doesn't get to be a respected artistic medium.

The numbers speak for themselves. It's a growing industry, and nearly everybody plays something or other at some point in their lives.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Like an accusing mob never happened before gaming. Heh. .

Are you suggesting this isn't a protest against Grand Theft Auto 6?

pitchforks-mob.png

dust1n

Zindīq
I don't think Roger Ebert is the final boss of what does or doesn't get to be a respected artistic medium.

The numbers speak for themselves. It's a growing industry, and nearly everybody plays something or other at some point in their lives.

Right, I think anyone who is just completely unwilling to recognize the potential in video games as a medium has been denial about how much money video games make in comparison to music and movies. Especially movies, where graphic innovations are made in video games before they in movies, by like 5 years at this point.

Some games suck, some don't. But I don't think anyone would ever see a story like the metal gear solid story told on any broadcast network.

Alceste

Vagabond
Right, I think anyone who is just completely unwilling to recognize the potential in video games as a medium has been denial about how much money video games make in comparison to music and movies. Especially movies, where graphic innovations are made in video games before they in movies, by like 5 years at this point.

Some games suck, some don't. But I don't think anyone would ever see a story like the metal gear solid story told on any broadcast network.

That's the truth. :)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Anyone interested in this topic ought to read "Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (MC).

As a brief summary, the "flow" state - as defined by MC - is one of the most rewarding and satisfying states that humans can experience. It occurs ONLY when the challenge of the task is aligned with the skill of the person. Good game designers understand this and as the player's skills improve, the game gets harder. This is why no one can maintain passion for tic-tac-toe. Tic-tac-toe does not allow for increasing challenge, so it gets boring.

In general people with deep skills are happier. At some level I don't have a problem with video games. But a much "safer" skill would be something like chess or the Asian game Go. The problem with video games is the "fast twitch" nature of these games leads to sub-optimal development of the brain. really! it's wild. Studies have shown that video gamers' brains develop physical characteristics similar to drug addicts. Advanced brain functions like spatial fluency rely on a strong hippocampus. Addictive responses tend to strengthen the striatum. Unfortunately video gamers tend to grow their striatums and and shrink their hippocampus-es.

But flow experiences have some health benefits, so video games are not all bad. But seriously, online chess or bridge or Go or even boggle have mostly upsides.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
One of the most violent games is chess, it's been around for hundreds of years but nobody says "ban it".
It's violent because once you move to take an opposing piece, it has no chance to retreat, unlike vid games where at least the enemy has got a sporting chance..:)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the most violent games is chess, it's been around for hundreds of years but nobody says "ban it".
It's violent because once you move to take an opposing piece, it has no chance to retreat, unlike vid games where at least the enemy has got a sporting chance..:)

Badminton is violent in the extreme.
Although apparently there is a version where a man-made object replaces the traditional bird...

$(KGrHqN,!hkE45yV0B8iBOVpVrj,qw~~48_35.JPG