• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nuclear power, clearly out. Now natural gas too. What to rely on; who knows?

jbg

Natural gas has long been considered a good,cleaner transitional fuel until wind and solar ready for "prime time." Yesterdays New York Times shows that along with nuclear, natural gas is "out." See
Leaks Can Make Natural Gas as Bad for the Climate as Coal, a Study Says. Apparently, we're in for our life styles being slashed to appease John Kerry. Oh, did I mention that he's saving the planet with the help of private jet travel. See John Kerry scorched for misleading on private jet use.
He plausibly denies literally owning a private jet. But he doesn't deny traveling on one. Link, excerpt below.
Kerry has been widely criticized for advocating for drastic climate change rules while also traveling to events on a private jet that was owned by Flying Squirrel LLC, a charter company owned by Kerry's wife, Teresa Heinz-Kerry, and in which Kerry reported owning a more than $1 million stake on a financial disclosure.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I've just read that fairly under utilised "white hydrogen" deposits have been found to be abundant, possibly enough to replace fossil fuels for the foreseeable future

Ella S.

Our power grids are being destroyed by climate change, anyway, so it doesn't really matter what we switch to. In a little while, we won't have the infrastructure to use it.

EconGuy

Nuclear is clearly the best option in my opinion, especially MSR reactors that can be made much smaller with much less risk.

Add to that the fact there are techniques using the same drills that are used in fracking to bury waste safely mile/s underground away from any source of water or other kinds of contamination that can be done in some instances right on site.

jbg

People just don't get it. The target is affluence and living well, not cow farts. The West's affluence has been in their sights as a target for the longest of time. Many of politically liberal views are ashamed of affluence. Jimmy Carter, in his "Crisis of Confidence" speech of July 15, 1979, often called the "Malaise" speech, stated in part (link):
Jimmy Carter said:
In a nation that was proud of hard work, strong families, close-knit communities, and our faith in God, too many of us now tend to worship self-indulgence and consumption. Human identity is no longer defined by what one does, but by what one owns. But we've discovered that owning things and consuming things does not satisfy our longing for meaning. We've learned that piling up material goods cannot fill the emptiness of lives which have no confidence or purpose.
Earlier examples are the "sumptuary laws" from Elizabethan England. I came across this from Friends Divided: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson by Gordon S. Wood. The word "sumptuary" means "relating to personal expenditures and especially to prevent extravagance and luxury" and sumptuary laws means laws "designed to regulate extravagant expenditures or habits especially on moral or religious grounds." (link to source).

There is a strain that goes back before the start of European civilization in America that sees a positive value in self-abnegation. I did not realize that this went back beyone the days of John Adams and further, to Puritan times. I had thought that this philosophy of life seeped into the U.S. via books such as the 1950's classic by John Kenneth Galbraith, The Affluent Society. This foreshadowed by other authors and thinkers, such as Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck. In Travels Steinbeck rails against conspicuous consumption and other signs of affluence. Going back to ancient Greek time, there was a philosopher named Epicuris, who believed (link to source) that was decidedly the opposite from Puritanism, for convenience called epicurean-ism.

I did not think of any modern connections in thought, Indeed, I had thought that this line of thinking was recent.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nuclear is clearly the best option in my opinion, especially MSR reactors that can be made much smaller with much less risk.

Add to that the fact there are techniques using the same drills that are used in fracking to bury waste safely mile/s underground away from any source of water or other kinds of contamination that can be done in some instances right on site.
Nuclear has come a long way. It's the greenest tech to date and definitely on par with fossil if not exceeded.

If they make a nuclear powered car , it's a tremendous win for the eco crowd.

Unfortunately it's a loss for the tax people to death crowd who would absolutely love to find more ways to steal people's hard earned money and make things unaffordable as usual.