• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olmert: Palestinians must give up the right of refugee return

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Olmert: Palestinians must give up the right of refugee return

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert laid out a far-reaching vision of peace on Thursday, reaffirming that Israel would be willing to withdraw from a great deal of territory in return for a true peace.

"I am extending my hand in peace to our Palestinian neighbors in the hope that it will not be returned empty," Olmert said in a major policy address at the grave of David Ben-Gurion in Sde Boker, during a ceremony commemorating the death of Israel's first prime minister, David Ben Gurion.

"We, the state of Israel, will agree to withdraw from a large amount of territory, and from the settlements that we established there -something that is very difficult for us, [equivalent to] a parting of the Red Sea - but we will do that in exchange for real peace," he said, directly addressing the Palestinians.
"You must end the violence and terrorism, and the desire to harm Israeli citizens in the south, north and center, recognize our right to live in peace alongside you, and give up your demand for the right of refugee return'," he said.

Olmert told the Palestinians that "the terror, the violence, the acts of murder and unending attacks on Israeli citizens are liable to lead to us a new painful wave of horrible violence."

He called on them to reject the "uncompromising extremism of your terrorist organizations" and choose a new path.
Referring to Saturday night's declaration of a cease-fire in Gaza, Olmert said that a new path was begun. "We started on a path that I hope will bring us to the goal that we all want to achieve: peace, quiet, and mutual trust," he said.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?apage=1&cid=1162378492106&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull