• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One small reason I Believe - I know I'm goinna get blasted....

stars

On a morning in 1998, I was getting ready to take my 7 yrs old daughter to school. I put a large pot of water full of eggs on the stove (had to make potato salad later) and turned the gas burner on high. So, we left, I dropped her off, came home, finished getting ready for work, and out the door I ran – forgetting about the pot. I would not be back home again until 2:30 that day.

The day came and went. I got home; walked into the house (I had totally forgotten about the pot on the stove). Everything was normal.

Later, while fixing dinner, the phone rang. It was my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law is probably one of the most religious people I know. She knows every saint, quotes scriptures, has an enormous amount of patience, you know, I’m sure you all have one somewhere in your family. She started asking general questions, “How was your day?”, “How are the kids”, etc. Then she said, “You don’t remember, do you?” I asked what she was talking about and she mentioned the pot of water. All of a sudden, the entire events of the morning flooded my mind. I looked around the kitchen, but everything was fine and I saw the pot, which was perfectly clean, sitting on the sink drainer. I asked her, how did you know? And she told me this: She had just gotten downstairs at around 8:30 a.m. that morning. She was in the kitchen and something started to say to her “Go to Maria’s house” It wasn’t a “voice” it was a feeling. This happened off and on for about 1 hour. My mother-in-law did not drop over our house just for the heck of it, especially not during the day when we weren’t home. Finally, she couldn’t take it anymore, got dressed and drove over to my house at 10:00 a.m.. Using her key, she walked into a smoky house, and when she walked into the kitchen, the empty pot was sparking, hard-boiled eggs where all over the ceiling, walls, and stove... She cleaned the whole thing up to the point that I didn’t see or even smell anything when I had gotten home. I’m not really sure what would have happened had the pot been left there like that until 2:30 – do you? She said St. Jude told her to go to my house.

I can hear many of you laughing and saying what does this prove, it was a coincidence, etc. For me, I feel like someone, somewhere always watched out for me and continues to do so. There have been so many little incidents like this in my life. This is one small reason I believe in God. I believe he cares for each and every one of us even when we sin, even when we stray, even when we say we don’t believe. . And I believe there are many people like me in the Christian faith that believe ALL people are equal and should be treated that way (we do all live under one Constitution, don’t we?)
Just thought I’d share my view – please don’t blast me.

To love a person is to learn the song that is in their heart, and to sing it to them when they have forgotten." – Anonymous

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Sounds like one of you has a fully functioning Gardian Angel.
Perhaps it was yours, and you were not listening, so he went that extra mile and called up your mother in law.

cottage

On a morning in 1998, I was getting ready to take my 7 yrs old daughter to school. I put a large pot of water full of eggs on the stove (had to make potato salad later) and turned the gas burner on high. So, we left, I dropped her off, came home, finished getting ready for work, and out the door I ran – forgetting about the pot. I would not be back home again until 2:30 that day.

The day came and went. I got home; walked into the house (I had totally forgotten about the pot on the stove). Everything was normal.

Later, while fixing dinner, the phone rang. It was my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law is probably one of the most religious people I know. She knows every saint, quotes scriptures, has an enormous amount of patience, you know, I’m sure you all have one somewhere in your family. She started asking general questions, “How was your day?”, “How are the kids”, etc. Then she said, “You don’t remember, do you?” I asked what she was talking about and she mentioned the pot of water. All of a sudden, the entire events of the morning flooded my mind. I looked around the kitchen, but everything was fine and I saw the pot, which was perfectly clean, sitting on the sink drainer. I asked her, how did you know? And she told me this: She had just gotten downstairs at around 8:30 a.m. that morning. She was in the kitchen and something started to say to her “Go to Maria’s house” It wasn’t a “voice” it was a feeling. This happened off and on for about 1 hour. My mother-in-law did not drop over our house just for the heck of it, especially not during the day when we weren’t home. Finally, she couldn’t take it anymore, got dressed and drove over to my house at 10:00 a.m.. Using her key, she walked into a smoky house, and when she walked into the kitchen, the empty pot was sparking, hard-boiled eggs where all over the ceiling, walls, and stove... She cleaned the whole thing up to the point that I didn’t see or even smell anything when I had gotten home. I’m not really sure what would have happened had the pot been left there like that until 2:30 – do you? She said St. Jude told her to go to my house.

I can hear many of you laughing and saying what does this prove, it was a coincidence, etc. For me, I feel like someone, somewhere always watched out for me and continues to do so. There have been so many little incidents like this in my life. This is one small reason I believe in God. I believe he cares for each and every one of us even when we sin, even when we stray, even when we say we don’t believe. . And I believe there are many people like me in the Christian faith that believe ALL people are equal and should be treated that way (we do all live under one Constitution, don’t we?)
Just thought I’d share my view – please don’t blast me.

To love a person is to learn the song that is in their heart, and to sing it to them when they have forgotten." – Anonymous

I think we all share your relief that a stove left unattended on a high burner setting didn't destroy your home. (I always worry about pets trapped inside the house). We've all read of similar anecdotes concerning these unexplained events or mini-miracles. However, for me, belief in a benevolent God would have more credibility if, rather than the little instances of supposed divine intervention that you mention, there were no instances of great suffering. But that's just my view, that pain and suffering in the world can never be reconciled with an all-powerful, loving, creator God. Cottage

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the story, Stars, and welcome to RF. :yes:

I've had plenty of things just like this happen in my own life (will try to post one or two here if I have time later).

Of course you realize; if God were 100% benevolent He would have gotten in touch with your best friend rather than your Mother-in-law. :p
(just kidding)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There are many mysteries. One must be very careful, I think, in ascribing them to this or that agent.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I have had my own little "miracles" that reaffirm my faith in my own religion too. If I listed just the things that have happened in the past month or so I'd be accused of Heresy and being a liar. It makes one feel special when they are singled out and a Deity makes them feel like they went the extra mile. I am really glad that worked out. By the way, did she let the eggs finish boiling or were they half cooked when you got home? :D

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Mball1297 sometimes coincidence is itself a very incongruous assumption, especially when the coincidence occurs many times.

Several years ago I became disappointed in the character judgement of a woman I knew and was mildly romantically interested in. She'd met a stranger at a fairground, kissed him and had agreed to date him. I happened to know the man involved, Alex, and he was trouble. It was going to end in tears (actually ended in a restraining order and an attempted suicide, but tears was close enough a prediction).

When I phoned her to complain she asked how I knew what had happened. I wasn't there in person at the fairground and no reason to think either of them had gone there. I simply knew it was occuring while it was occuring for no clear reason. It had popped into my head as a complete thought moving before moving on to the mild irritation with her impulsiveness.

Coincidence? Its possible. Improbable but possible. The trouble is I've experienced knowledge of events in the lives of people I'm close to without being present many times and have been able to firmly rule out faulty memory in several of these cases because of emails or phonecalls made at the time. That all these are mere coincidence becomes extremely improbable and so one heck of an assumption.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Mball1297 sometimes coincidence is itself a very incongruous assumption, especially when the coincidence occurs many times.

Several years ago I became disappointed in the character judgement of a woman I knew and was mildly romantically interested in. She'd met a stranger at a fairground, kissed him and had agreed to date him. I happened to know the man involved, Alex, and he was trouble. It was going to end in tears (actually ended in a restraining order and an attempted suicide, but tears was close enough a prediction).

When I phoned her to complain she asked how I knew what had happened. I wasn't there in person at the fairground and no reason to think either of them had gone there. I simply knew it was occuring while it was occuring for no clear reason. It had popped into my head as a complete thought moving before moving on to the mild irritation with her impulsiveness.

Coincidence? Its possible. Improbable but possible. The trouble is I've experienced knowledge of events in the lives of people I'm close to without being present many times and have been able to firmly rule out faulty memory in several of these cases because of emails or phonecalls made at the time. That all these are mere coincidence becomes extremely improbable and so one heck of an assumption.

Yes, but ascribing an agent as the cause of it all is extremely problematic. It might have been due to Zeus rather than to YAWHAH, or to some law of nature we don't yet understand, rather than to YAWHAH.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Interesting story stars; I appreciate you sharing it with us. :)

Though I'd like to quickly point out that no, we don't all live under one constitution. ;)

There are many mysteries. One must be very careful, I think, in ascribing them to this or that agent.

Right! Labels can be surprisingly difficult to take back. At least, unless you use those special sticky-notes, but even those tend to leave a residue... (And having weird white stains dotted around your flat makes for unfortunate conversation topics, I've found)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I'm glad things worked out for you stars :) I've had my own experiences like that, I probably wouldn't be here typing this if I hadn't had them.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
One of the most difficult things in the world is to take something as it is, without interpreting it, without labeling it, without diluting it. To say, "Saint Jude spoke to me" is to speculate.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Yes, but ascribing an agent as the cause of it all is extremely problematic. It might have been due to Zeus rather than to YAWHAH, or to some law of nature we don't yet understand, rather than to YAWHAH.
Well, it could be a trick but I think its due to Zeus. Whenever I have one of my strange turns it ends with the thought, "Brought to you by Zeus Instant Messaging".

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

Why incongruous? Yes, when it occurs many times, you have to wonder about it. If something similar to this had happened several times before, and every time the mother-in-law got that feeling, it turned out to be right, I would wonder a bit.

I guess, but then what explanation do you ascribe to these things? Sure, maybe something weird is going on, but it's still a bit of a stretch to take the explanation to certain lengths.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, it could be a trick but I think its due to Zeus. Whenever I have one of my strange turns it ends with the thought, "Brought to you by Zeus Instant Messaging".

LOL! Good point! I just meant that fads change, gods changes, causes change.

Alceste

Vagabond
I get messages like that too (for example, an irresistible impulse to "get up now and walk that way", which led me to a chance encounter with someone I needed to talk to), but I don't believe in any gods, saints, or guardian angels and never have.

To me, a likelier hypothesis is that consciousness is not temporally or spacially limited to the present moment or the inside of the cranium. By what mechanism I am able to gain remote knowledge and foresight of things I could not possibly know, I will leave it to scientists to discover. Physics is making some progress in proposing a model of the universe that better accommodates non-linear insights.

I'm not attached to my musings on the subject, though. It's pure conjecture. The fact that these things happen isn't enough to suggest a specific explanation. If I were in your shoes, attributing these things to a specific religion, I'd be greatly challenged to account for the fact they happen to believers of every religion, and none.