• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One word challenge: “God is…”

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I present a challenge/exercise.

Finish the following phrase with a single word. Please have the phrase reflect your personal, genuine belief.

“God is…”

(if you need to add “a” “an”, or “the” before your answer, that is fine.)

Feel free to then elaborate on your answer.

Discussion around your answer will be welcome. This is posted in debates :):cool::D:eek::oops:

I’ll reply with my personal answer.

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
God is love

When I believe in things metaphysical, it is true to me that God is literally manifested and intertwined in the mechanism of “love”. I believe we can literally and physically transcend suffering as a whole through the mechanism of love.

If we all loved each other, there would be no war. Do you deny this? Then, we can go from there.

The most important truth there is is this: God is love is love is love.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Finish the following phrase with a single word. Please have the phrase reflect your personal, genuine belief.

“God is…”

(if you need to add “a” “an”, or “the” before your answer, that is fine.

Discussion around your answer will be welcome. This is posted in debates :):cool::D:eek::oops:

God is an expression of the believer's idea of perfection and virtue.

“God is…”

(if you need to add “a” “an”, or “the” before your answer, that is fine.)

fictitious

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
... a large set of ideas that don't correspond to anything in fact or observation.
. . . most gods throughout human history are literally derived from facts/observations of nature and the acknowledgement that these are higher powers or sacred, but okay. One is also supposed to use a single word for this thread.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I'm a polytheist. Am I permitted to replace this with "gods" for the purposes of this thread or is the intention for the response to only be for a monotheistic paradigm?
Good idea! Thanks for always keeping me in check on this department lol.

Please, use the word “gods” if you’d prefer!

F1fan

Veteran Member
. . . most gods throughout human history are literally derived from facts/observations of nature and the acknowledgement that these are higher powers or sacred, but okay. One is also supposed to use a single word for this thread.
I almost added "with a few exceptions", like Gaia. Gods can be symbolic. But we have more natural words.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Good idea! Thanks for always keeping me in check on this department lol.

Please, use the word “gods” if you’d prefer!
In some ways it makes it harder.

For me, "god" (singular) is irrelevant. But gods (plural)? It's complicated since we're now referencing many different things and somehow expecting a single word to capture that diversity. It can't be done. Maybe I could go with "gods are complicated" but that does a poor job at capturing much of relevance.

I think I will go with this, though.

Gods are fascinating.

Because curiosity about the world - which for me is the same as the gods themselves - is probably the core of what orients my life. Endless curiosity, endless wonder, endless desire to explore and learn and know the gods (aka, the world around me).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That’s more than one word o_Oo_Oo_O

I appreciate the response, but feel welcome to give another response of a single word for the phrase.
How about these:

God is projection.

(My thoughts on that were in my first post)

God is an anthropomorphism.

God is a way for people to put a relatable face on an impersonal universe.

God is multitudes.

There are as many versions of God as there are believers in God.

God is outsourcing.

God is a way for arrogant people to think of themselves as humble by attributing the arrogant parts of their personality to something external.

I may think of a few others.