• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Only God Can Set You Free"

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
There is something I would like to share:

When I was in my first-year at Warwick University in the 2002-2003 academic year there was an event held on every Monday evening at the Students' Union called "Top Banana" - it ran from 8pm until midnight

It was a popular night, they played the exact same songs every week, classic bangers like Livin' On a Prayer and Summer of '69 - that sort of stuff

I'd go with some of my friends from the corridor I lived on, we went every week

Every night they would play Set You Free by N-Trance

We would stand in the middle of the dance floor huddled in a circle, drinking booze and smoking ciggies and we would put our hands in the air for the euphoric chorus of Set You Free

The main lyric is "only love can set you free"

Just hearing that track brings me back to those days, a much simpler and happier time

I was re-listening to this a few days ago and it occurred to me:

Only God Can Set You Free

If you substitute the word "love" for "God" (and don't some people say "God is love"???) then it works as a song about God!

In John 8:31-23 it says that Jesus said:

“If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

I think that to "know the truth" is to know that God exists

When I was in my first-year at University I was unhappy and unfulfilled, I wanted to be someone else and I was a total and utter atheist

In my second year at University I had a mental breakdown that (long long story short) eventually lead me to believe in God

When I came to believe in God I felt free from my limitations and inadequacies and I developed into a much more confident person, although this took many years to happen

I am now the person I wanted to be when I was a first-year undergraduate, God set me free

Set You Free by N-Trance is a song that I sometimes play to remind me of this

Knowing God set me free