• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Open House?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
There is a UU congregation that's in the area that I want to move in the very near future (starting a family, and establishing a career and all that), and I saw on their site that this coming Sunday they'll be having an Open House. I assume that this is a "come in and find out what UU is all about" type of event, but is there anything that's common in all of these? As in, what should I expect? Is there a sermon, or is this more like a meet and greet over coffee and cookies sort of thing? Or, is it more if a community outreach/political seminar?
It won't really matter to me either way, I just like to be prepared when entering new situations =D

applewuud

If it's at the same time as their usual Sunday service, I'd assume it's a sermon that would be user-friendly to non-UUs. But I'm not aware of any common open house traditions, and I've attended about 5 different UU churches/fellowships. If it's not at the Sunday service time, it may be a political/community event.

In any case, things can be very different from week to week depending on who the worship leader is.

Good luck, and I hope you find a community that will be good for you.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
You'd think I'd know more about this sort of thing, having grown up UU, but alas, I've only attended one open house before, and it was a simple meet and greet with coffee and finger foods. Like applewuud said, I doubt there are any common traditions, aside from the coffee, of course, and as UUs are generally a laid back bunch, I wouldn't worry about it. If the site lists a number to call for more information, you may want to try that.