• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Open Pulpit programme

The Churches Together organisation in my area organises, in January of each year, an open pulpit programme, where ministers of different denominations will for one Sunday exchange pulpits – so, an Anglican vicar might find themselves in a Methodist Church, a Catholic priest in a Pentecostal Church, and a Quaker in a Baptist Church.

Does this sort of thing happen anywhere else?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Churches Together organisation in my area organises, in January of each year, an open pulpit programme, where ministers of different denominations will for one Sunday exchange pulpits – so, an Anglican vicar might find themselves in a Methodist Church, a Catholic priest in a Pentecostal Church, and a Quaker in a Baptist Church.

I've never seen it happen, but it does sound interesting. I wouldn't necessarily be in favor of it as a part of regular worship services, but I would welcome the opportunity to hear a wide variety of ministers preach at a single venue. I think it would be quite interesting.

ZooGirl02

I see no problem with this so long as they only allow Catholic priests at Catholic parishes. Only a Catholic priest or deacon can give a homily at Mass. Only a Catholic priest or bishop can perform the Mass.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Unitarian Universalist does this often, hosting clergy from other religious organizations.

Tom