• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinion on Christian Zionism?

Sultan Of Swing

Christian Zionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will start off by saying one benefit of Christian Zionism is that I've heard it brings more money into Israel from foreign Christian benefactors. Probably helps tourism as well. :p

Otherwise, what is your opinion of it? Y'know, the modern American Christian evangelical types that believe Israel is God's chosen people and all the prophecies are being fulfilled with the return to the land and some belief in an impending third temple on the way etc. going as far as John Hagee's own brand which says we mustn't preach to Jews because God will save them another way, etc.

Do you find all the evangelical love and affection for Israel a bit soppy, or is it admirable and mutual?

(Note: I am not a Christian Zionist myself)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I would suggest that any Christian that takes the Bible seriously would have an affinity for Zionism, even if they don't support all that Israel does. I don't support all that Israel does, nor do the vast majority of fellow Jews I know.

rosends

I am appreciative but leery. Some might be completely sincere but some, I fear, have an ulterior motive.

Levite

Higher and Higher
...what is your opinion of it? Y'know, the modern American Christian evangelical types that believe Israel is God's chosen people and all the prophecies are being fulfilled with the return to the land and some belief in an impending third temple on the way etc. going as far as John Hagee's own brand which says we mustn't preach to Jews because God will save them another way, etc.

Do you find all the evangelical love and affection for Israel a bit soppy, or is it admirable and mutual?

While in theory I am always glad when non-Jews find their way clear to support Jews living in a Jewish homeland in the ancestral territory of the Jewish People, I find that many Christian Zionist movements have unpleasant ulterior theological motivations.

The one I run into quite a bit is the notion that Christians must support the return of the Jewish exiles to the holy land because when enough of them get there, they will start an apocalyptic war with the Muslims, in which the bulk of both will be wiped out, signifying the impending return of Jesus and the ascension of Christianity to world domination. They don't usually phrase it quite so bluntly, but that's what it boils down to.

I have also occasionally run into the notion that Christians must support the return of the Jews to the holy land because that is where they are prophesized to gather when Jesus returns to judge them and throw them all into Hell. And the notion that Christians should support the return of the Jews to the holy land because it is only when they return to their homeland and are unable to find peace there that "they will truly understand their need for the salvation of Jesus."

To be fair, I do know some very nice Christians-- mostly ministers and priests who are collegial acquaintances of mine-- who are Zionist without apparent ulterior motive. They say they support the right of the State of Israel to exist because it's due justice to the Jewish People, and because there needs to be a Jewish State that can be an ultimate refuge for the Jewish People. And some of them acknowledge they support Israel in part because they understand that Christian persecution of Jews, historically, is in part responsible for the acute need of the Jews for a safe land of their own.

These kinds of Christian Zionists I have absolutely no problem with, and am grateful for their support. Unfortunately, though, they seem to be in the minority, and the majority of Christian Zionists seem...sketchy, at best.

Akivah

I will start off by saying one benefit of Christian Zionism is that I've heard it brings more money into Israel from foreign Christian benefactors. Probably helps tourism as well.

Otherwise, what is your opinion of it? Y'know, the modern American Christian evangelical types that believe Israel is God's chosen people and all the prophecies are being fulfilled with the return to the land and some belief in an impending third temple on the way etc. going as far as John Hagee's own brand which says we mustn't preach to Jews because God will save them another way, etc.

Israel doesn't have a lot of allies, so we can't afford to be choosy. I'd accept their help and support, while remaining alert to their motives. They usually include some sort of conversion component.

4consideration

Premium Member
***Mod Post***

A number of posts by non-members on this thread have been deleted as part of a thread cleanup. The responses to those posts have also been deleted.

This is the Judaism DIR. Please keep Rule 10 in mind when posting.

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums/Same Faith Debates/"Only Sections" The DIR subforums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

-For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored blue, non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts.

-For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored green, non-members of that area may make respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area. This includes questions, as well as knowledgeable comments.

The Same Faith Debates subforum is specifically for debate between members of the same faith. Members that are not part of a same faith debate thread's selected faith may not post at all in those threads. The Political "Only" subforums are also used specifically for that group and may not be posted in by members that do not correspond to the political position of the subforum. These two forums are colored purple.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of it.

I can understand Christians supporting Israel as a democratic nation in the Middle East, as a rich cultural and historical area, and as the central site for the beginning of their religion. But, unfortunately, that isn't what we often hear about; what we end up with is the desire to support Israel in order to bring about what they see as the end of the world.