• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlog

Justin Thyme

Child of God
Does anyone care to take a crack at explaining "Orlog" to me? I think I understand the concept but I'm not sure.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Does anyone care to take a crack at explaining "Orlog" to me? I think I understand the concept but I'm not sure.
Orlog comes from Old Norse from the words or/ur meaning "primal" and log meaning "law". It was the foundation laid at the creation of all things. It predates all cycles to the very foundation of existence on any level. There is some interesting thoughts/believes concerning its origin and perhaps more importantly its creator, but basically it is "the plan" or rule by which each level of existence is controlled/guided in accordance to the will of the creator/designer of orlog. Some of the most obvious traits of orlog is found in natural science/philosophy. The concept of orlog is similar to the Tao and Rta (from the Rig Veda) and several others.
I hope this helps.

Justin Thyme

Child of God
It helps immensely. This is very close to the way I understood it and actually brings it closer to the concept that the Apostle John seems to be getting to in the very beginning of the Apostle of John.

I would love to hear your thoughts on its origin and creator.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Well the (very) quick/short version is that I believe that Orlog was the plan for the Creation and that the Creator (of all) was in fact its architect.
If I may ask: how familiar are you with the Sagas and of Ragnarok? The reason that I ask is I noticed your religion as being Christian and some of the first missionaries that when North on conversion missions had the greatest success with the approach that Interestingly enough did you know that some of the first successful Christian missionaries to the Norsemen argued that Ragnarok had happened already and Lif and Lifthrasir were who the missionaries/Bible knew of as Adam and Eve and Yggdrasil was the Tree of Life.

Justin Thyme

Child of God
Well the (very) quick/short version is that I believe that Orlog was the plan for the Creation and that the Creator (of all) was in fact its architect.

That is very close to the way that I view God the Creator and "The Word" that John spoke of. But I view the Word not only as the plan for the universe that God had for what has past but also for His plan for the present and for the future.

If I may ask: how familiar are you with the Sagas and of Ragnarok? The reason that I ask is I noticed your religion as being Christian and some of the first missionaries that when North on conversion missions had the greatest success with the approach that Interestingly enough did you know that some of the first successful Christian missionaries to the Norsemen argued that Ragnarok had happened already and Lif and Lifthrasir were who the missionaries/Bible knew of as Adam and Eve and Yggdrasil was the Tree of Life.

I've read some of the both Poetic and Prose Eddas I think I understand Ragnarok but I have a bit of trouble understanding if Ragnarok has happened or will happen or if it is a recurring event that just represents a cycle of death and rebirth.

I can see how the early missionaries would see the similarities between the two religions. The further past the mythology aspect I look at Heathenism and more into the religious/theological aspects of it the more and more similarities I see with many religions.

emptybe

Om Mani Padme Hum
I don't quite understand orlog. Is it like the way things are supposed to be and you can either go with the flow (of orlog) or against it?

And then is Wyrd basically just karma? :help::help: