• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orthodox Questions...

Doktormartini

小虎
Ok sorry if these have been asked before, but I am curious! I work in the kitchen of this Jewish camp and I find it very interesting to learn about their faith! So, I know that Orthodox Jews are the most strict and they follow all the rules and scriptures...correct?

Here is my question: Since Jews believe in the Old Testament and follow it's rules and guidlines, do they really stone their kids if they misbehave? Do they sacrifice animals to G-d to repent for their sins? Do they get killed if they work on the Sabbath? G-d says in the Old Testament that these things must happen, and I find them really obsurd and since Orthodox Jews are strict, just wondering if they follow these.
Thank you!

Avi

Orthodox Judaism doesn't only rely on the "Written Torah," as you described; they also rely on the extensive rabbinical commentary on the Torah covering the past 2000 years. Many of what you have described are not taken literally within the Orthodox Jewish community, and interpret it according to the time they live in.

evearael

do they really stone their kids if they misbehave?
No. Details of how this law is to be followed is in the Talmud...
http://www.artscroll.com/Talmud1.htm
Do they sacrifice animals to G-d to repent for their sins?
The Temple is not yet rebuilt to be able to perform sacrifices. Instead, there is repentance, prayer and charity (I believe I got that right... Alan, Jay, Huff, please feel free to correct me :) ).
Do they get killed if they work on the Sabbath?
No. Again see the Talmud...
I find them really obsurd
That is because you are studying only part of the picture. The Written Torah was handed down at Sinai along with the Oral Torah. The Oral Torah (The Mishneh) and the Rabinical Commentary (The Gemera) together make the Talmud and that is what explains how to follow the laws laid down in the Written Torah.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Doktormartini said:
Ok sorry if these have been asked before, but I am curious! I work in the kitchen of this Jewish camp and I find it very interesting to learn about their faith! So, I know that Orthodox Jews are the most strict and they follow all the rules and scriptures...correct?

Here is my question: Since Jews believe in the Old Testament and follow it's rules and guidlines, do they really stone their kids if they misbehave? Do they sacrifice animals to G-d to repent for their sins? Do they get killed if they work on the Sabbath? G-d says in the Old Testament that these things must happen, and I find them really obsurd and since Orthodox Jews are strict, just wondering if they follow these.
Thank you!

the question really is...when you worked at this camp did you ever see them performing any of these acts?

i'll take a risk and say, no, you didn't.

as has been pointed out so much of Judaism is not contained in the Written Torah.

Deut 13:1

Doktormartini said:

Thank you!

first of all, we try and follow all the rules and scriptures, but we're not perfect, nor do we claim to be.

second, no where does it say to stone your kid if they misbehave. Look it up and we can talk about what it does infact say.

third, HaShem tells us to do animal sacrifices only where He shows us. I don't think HaShem told me to do them in my backyard (Which is why I don't do them in my backyard, did HaShem tell you to do them in your backyard??). However, HaShem did tell us to perform korbanot inside the Beis HaMikdash. Another problem I have - I'm not a Kohen. Let's not forget that the council of Yavne in 70 CE substituded the Shemonah Esrei as a result of the Beis HaMikdash being destroyed. It's currently recited during the time that the sacrifice would have taken place.

fourth, we don't get killed for working the sabbath for several reasons. one of which, the death penalty has very strict rules in order to be used. This article goes in depth about your misconceptions of the death penalty from the Jewish standpoint. What it fails to mention is that the proper court that is required for an execution to take place, no longer exists today, and won't until Elijah returns.

P.S. Don't visit Mea Shearim.

Deut 13:1 said:
What it fails to mention is that the proper court that is required for an execution to take place, no longer exists today, and won't until Elijah returns.

The proper court is a group of 71 distinguished men of the Children of Israel who sit as judges in what is called a Sanhedrin. All 71 have to agree on the death penalty for any crime described in the Torah as punishable by death. If even one disagrees it can not be carried out. Just keep that in mind while reading the torah and you'll have a better understanding about what you're reading.

jvbrentjr

That is very interesting and I did not know that. I am not of the Jewish faith but am very interested in the beliefs of your faith. Is there a leader of a church out there who would be willing to answer a few questions?

ssrt

jvbrentjr said:
In what ways does your church beleive God has revealed Himself to mandkind?

I suggest you create a new thread in the general Judaism forum (instead of the Orthodox), where you will likely get several answers to your questions.

Harmonious

In what ways does your church beleive God has revealed Himself to mandkind?
There are lots of ways that we believe that God revealed Himself to mankind.

He created and spoke to the first Man and Woman. That is a start.

Seven generations later, He spoke to and protected and rescued Noah.

And a few generations after that, Abraham rediscovered God, and God spoke to Abraham. And to Isaac, and to Jacob, and to Jacob's children.

Between all of this talk, and miracles, and a back-and-forth relationship people have with God, we know that God has revealed Himself. Some miracles that exist in today's world are not quite as open as splitting the Red Sea, but people who are perceptive can find all kinds of miracles.

God reveals Himself in many ways, all the time.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
*['Orthodox Judaism doesn't only rely on the "Written Torah," as you described; they also rely on the extensive rabbinical commentary on the Torah covering the past 2000 years..."]

***Traditional [i.e., Rabbinic] Judaism as we know it today is NOT so much the religion of Moses and the prophets as it is the religion of the rabbis who lived and taught over 1500 years LATER. Instead of being the religion of sacrifice and blood atonement as prescribed by the Torah...it is a religion WITHOUT sacrifice and blood atonement, in spite of the Torah.

Some of Judaism's most sacred books did not even exist before the late Middle Ages. Christopher Columbus had already discovered America before the Code of the Jewish Law used by Orthodox Jews today reached its final forms. And the "traditions" keep on growing...and growing....and growing to this very day.

Kefa

I can't decide if your post is more pretentious (for answering for Orthodox Judaism) or just plain ignorant (for the numerous theological and historical mistakes).