• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Other Religions

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
As a follower of a Dharmic religion, what is your view on other religions? They can be other Dharmic religions, or Abrahamic religions, or any other kinds of religions. Perhaps you don’t have a particular view on other religions?

My views on other religions are currently evolving. At the moment, I think that Abrahamic religions can lead one to the supreme goal of life insofar as one is practicing a mystic tradition within an Abrahamic religion. As well, I believe that Kejawèn, the indigenous Javanese religion, can also lead to the supreme goal. Lastly, a person who practices Neoplatonism could probably realize Brahman within the context of that philosophy. There are some religions that I don’t feel the same way about.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As a follower of a Dharmic religion, what is your view on other religions? They can be other Dharmic religions, or Abrahamic religions, or any other kinds of religions. Perhaps you don’t have a particular view on other religions?

My views on other religions are currently evolving. At the moment, I think that Abrahamic religions can lead one to the supreme goal of life insofar as one is practicing a mystic tradition within an Abrahamic religion. As well, I believe that Kejawèn, the indigenous Javanese religion, can also lead to the supreme goal. Lastly, a person who practices Neoplatonism could probably realize Brahman within the context of that philosophy. There are some religions that I don’t feel the same way about.
I'm neutral mostly. It's not applicable to my life. If I have a necessary encounter with a person of another faith whose faith is part of that interaction, then I do what seems best at the time. It's a vast and diverse planet, and I think it functions with more wisdom when religion isn't at the forefront.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I believe if a religion is serving a person well, its for the greater good and can lead a person to moksha(or whatever that religion's equivalent is). If the religion is not serving the person(such as they're using it to justify hateful behavior), it cannot lead them anywhere good. Its more about the person, not the religion.

With the religions you don't feel can lead to Realization, why do you feel that they can't lead there?

rocala

My spiritual life is pretty simple. I meditate, I try to do good to my fellow creatures and I strive to live in tune with the environment. I try to follow the Noble Eightfold path and I also try to live by the eleven commitments of Modern Druidry.

I am interested in religions, so I read quite a lot. I think you may be right about the mystical side of the Abrahamic faiths. I have been very impressed by Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee's Sufi videos. I was fascinated too by Matthew Fox's book on Meister Eckhart. Quakers also, have something to offer IMO. I am an admirer of the late John Shelby Spong who was an Episcopalian Bishop.

Yazata

As a follower of a Dharmic religion, what is your view on other religions? They can be other Dharmic religions

I'm quite positive towards some of the more philosophical varieties of Hinduism. Advaita for example, which has ideas that attract me. The more theistic and devotional varieties of Hinduism don't speak to me the same way. I just don't conceive of the (perhaps hypothetical) ultimate principle of reality as a personified deity. But I can easily understand how that can be emotionally attractive to some people and I have no objection to it.

, or Abrahamic religions,

I'm less attracted by the Abrahamic religions. They all have elements that put me off. I'm put off by Judaism's emphasis on Jewish ethnicity. I'm put off by all of their emphasis on scripture and by their seeming exclusiveness. All of them believe that they are in a special position as recipients of a special revelation and all religions not based on their revelation must be false somehow.

But that being said, there are strands in each that I find congenial. I'm most familiar with Christianity, and I'm attracted by its contemplative traditions and its more Neoplatonic theologies. I like the Pseudo-Dionysus and John Scotus Eriugena. There are aspects of today's Eastern Orthodox theology that I like, such as its essence-energies distinction. Some versions of Islamic Sufism are attractive to me. And I often find myself thinking in what might be called a 'Deistic' manner, since I take natural theology very seriously, while rejecting revealed theology. I could perhaps be called a 'Deist' in a sense.

or any other kinds of religions. Perhaps you don’t have a particular view on other religions?

Generally speaking, I am a huge supporter of freedom of religion and freedom of thought. I have no problem with other people believing whatever they choose to believe. We are all on our own personal paths, I guess. I am happy to accept that, as long as others stay out of my face with it. So I oppose militant evangelism and the missionary impulse. (Another thing that I don't like about Christianity and Islam.)

I'm not sure what the supreme goal is, how it is to be reached, or whether it's the same for everyone. I certainly don't want to rule any religion out or declare that it's worthless as a path for some individuals. I'm willing to accord all of them value, provided that they dial back some of the more intolerant aspects towards those that don't believe precisely as they do.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Some of the Abrahamic religions are, as per my knowledge, pretty 'modern' religions. As per Hinduism, they came into being only in the Kali-yuga.
Therefore because of my staunch faith in god's workings, I believe these Kali-yuga religions came into existence because in some way, they are suited to the mindset of the mankind of this age. Not to say they are better therefore for redeeming man, but just saying that for some folks I believe that these Abrahamic religions might offer the right prescription when followed properly for quicker spiritual ascension.

But that said, I also believe that while Hinduism helps men reach the summit, Abrahamic religions in my view, take him or her only halfway above. I therefore believe that an Abrahamic who has followed his religion faithfully and has evolved to some extent, is made to be born in Hinduism to reach the ultimate summit.

This is my belief.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am a follower of what is known as 'Sanatan Dharma' with strong 'Advaita' views. I have strong views on religions. I love Buddhism, can tolerate Sikhism, Jainism and pagan religions. I consider Christianity and Islam as evil. No comment on Daoism and Confusianism. I do not know them well, but perhaps do not have anything strong against them. Of course, I can live with other people.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I only have negative views regarding religions and ideologies where people are punished for abandoning it (everything from social ostracism to actual imprisonment and death) and where group members are told to avoid social and family relationships with people of other religions or ideologies.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I've taken a couple of days to ponder this question.

I think in order to answer the question, one needs to look at the purpose of religion.

As I see it, the purpose of religion is to understand the nature of one's being and the reality that in which one lives.

In that capacity, I see most, if not all religions to be useful. Unfortunately, there are those fundamentalists that hinder their own path by misinterpreting a religion's teachings and go off on a tangent to create their own sects of hate and violence. Yet I still don't think that such paths won't ultimately lead to such an understanding as described above, but it will be a much longer path...one of duhkha...to such a realization.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
If the religion is not serving the person(such as they're using it to justify hateful behavior), it cannot lead them anywhere good

I agree. To add to what you say, if a person uses a religion to justify greed and lust, that person is not walking toward the supreme goal.

Its more about the person, not the religion.

This sounds right to me. A person could live in Nepal or India and follow Hinduism, yet the same person could use it to justify detrimental deeds. For example, artha is a legitimate pursuit, and I'm sure there is somebody out there who uses that to justify greed and adharmic choices in their business.

With the religions you don't feel can lead to Realization, why do you feel that they can't lead there?

I think that a religion cannot lead to realization if it teaches selfishness, hatred, greed, lust, etc.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
But that said, I also believe that while Hinduism helps men reach the summit, Abrahamic religions in my view, take him or her only halfway above.

I like this view. I have heard that the inhabitants of Svargaloka wish to be born in Bharat in order that they may attain the supreme goal. I cannot imagine them wishing to be born in Arabia or Israel or Italy in order to work toward liberation. The main religions there would not directly lead them to moksha. (Although the inhabitants of Svargaloka wish to be born in Bharat in order to reach liberation, I don't think it's the only land where one can reach liberation. Nepal is obviously a suitable place. What makes them suitable, I think, is the prevalence of Sanatana Dharma. Moreover, Sanatana Dharma anywhere is conducive to liberation.)

I love Buddhism, can tolerate Sikhism, Jainism and pagan religions.

I also think Buddhism is wonderful.

I consider Christianity and Islam as evil. No comment on Daoism and Confusianism. I do not know them well, but perhaps do not have anything strong against them.

From my perspective, if these religions advocate the murder of cows and the elimination of Sanatana Dharma, they are definitely evil. With respect to Confucianism, Confucian values have shaped Korea, and the people here are wonderful socially.

I only have negative views regarding religions and ideologies where people are punished for abandoning it (everything from social ostracism to actual imprisonment and death) and where group members are told to avoid social and family relationships with people of other religions or ideologies.

This is perfectly reasonable.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
@mangalavara, you are kind-hearted. I like that. My experience and environment makes me harder on some people. :(

If it helps, I have harsh thoughts about Westerners who look down on Nepal and Bharat, who have the audacity to tell Hindus there what not to do and what to permit even though it is contrary to the Hindu conscience. These people call their pet dogs and cats their children yet they laugh at us for calling cows Mātā. I have seen that they have a problem with a ban on cow slaughter somewhere yet they cry about dogs becoming food in East Asia. These Westerners need to get some perspective for once.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I've been reading a bit about Ramakrishna's teachings lately. The way I understood him, he seemed to believe that all religions lead to the same goal. However, even if I assumed Ramakrishna was true, I do find the Gaudiya Vaishnava concept of "rasa" more helpful. Christianity only allows one rasa, being "children of God". Moreover, I don't think that practicing a religion for only three days with a "return ticket" to Hinduism doesn't give you a good idea of what the religion is about. But maybe I shouldn't complain too loudly about it, having been a religious seeker for myself for 20 years.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
These people call their pet dogs and cats their children yet they laugh at us for calling cows Mātā.

Well, you probably wouldn't let your cow sleep in your bed. :sunglasses:

I know that most Westerners are not heroes as far as animal welfare is concerned, but I never understood why cows are so sacred yet condemned to "homelessness". If people are so serious about holiness, IMHO "homes" for stray cows probably should be built everywhere, and they should be taken care of for the rest of their lives.

BTW, calling a girl or a woman a "stupid cow" is a pretty strong insult to women in German.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, you probably wouldn't let your cow sleep in your bed. :sunglasses:

I know that most Westerners are not heroes as far as animal welfare is concerned, but I never understood why cows are so sacred yet condemned to "homelessness". If people are so serious about holiness, IMHO "homes" for stray cows probably should be built everywhere, and they should be taken care of for the rest of their lives.

BTW, calling a girl or a woman a "stupid cow" is a pretty strong insult to women in German.
Pretty strong insult in a lot of places, I think.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
What about a thoughtful, lovely, and intelligent coW?

'Stupid' seems to be a problem.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A sincere enough heart can attain good fruits under much any social environment, although some will definitely help or hinder.

Compatibility with individual predispositions is a factor. Sometimes learned doctrines are seriously flawed, but their actual effects on specific people don't necessarily translate those flaws because they just happen to be fortunate enough not to express those flaws easily or seriously.

There are people that will naturally rebel against and improve on the inherent flaws and limitations of what they are taught. Living in an environment that can understand that and work with that reality is very helpful indeed.

For those reasons, I do see the Dharmic approach (hereby defined in a very loose way) as inherently superior to the dogmatic one. Christianity and particularly Islam have burned out nearly all the good will I could ever have towards them.

But other than that, wisdom exists where it will. It can be very surprising and disconcerting. And I sincerely believe that religious validity is created and recreated anew by people everywhere all the time, even if they are not necessarily aware of so doing.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
but I never understood why cows are so sacred yet condemned to "homelessness". If people are so serious about holiness, IMHO "homes" for stray cows probably should be built everywhere, and they should be taken care of for the rest of their lives.

Regarding the sanctity of cows, a lot of Hindus are apparently unaware that it is a Vedic perspective that cows are sacred beings. Atharvaveda Book 10, Hymn 10 is all about the Cow.