• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Shared Theology

Chattan

For the record, I am not a UU theologian nor a UU minister. There are many others in UUism that are much better qualified than I to discuss a topic such as a shared theology or more specifically a UU theology. There are those that are researching such a subject and writing about it. They go into greater detail than I will here and are probably much more correct than I will be.

My goal is simply to offer up the idea that we do indeed have a shared theology as UUs and that this is part of what unites us. Certainly, we are united by our principles and we are united by the common threads that all faith traditions have. However, I believe that we are united by something much simpler and much more subtle than most realize.

I contend that we are united in the sacred. Sacred is a word that has broad meaning and and means something different to all of us. Essentially we define the sacred in our own perosnal ways but at the same time we all believe in the sacred.

As a Deist, the sacred has many meanings for me. It can mean God, Consciousness, process, being, nature and humanity. The list goes on and on. Ultimately, for me, it means God which I define as Consciousness and play around with being and process. However, that is not what is important when it comes to UUism.

We all have personal opinions and concepts of what the sacred is. For an atheist it could be humanity and/or nature. For theists, it is God but there are numerous concepts under that umbrella. Some believe in a personal God while I believe in a transpersonal God. Regardless, our personal concepts are really our personal expressions of the sacred.

We unite under a belief in the sacred and our desire to have a sense of astonishment and connection with the sacred. The sacred is that which is beyond ourselves that we want a sense of and want to experience. It may be presumptous and arrogant for me to try and state that we all believe in the sacred and that is not my intention.

In fact, the word "sacred" may be the wrong choice for such a word. I have been defining UUism in this way for only a short time but I have found that people respond to it and seem to understand what I am trying to convey. So many like to claim that we believe in anything theologically. In a way they are right but also very wrong.

What they don't understand is that these are our personal conceptions and we realize that these conceptions are our own and that we can be united by the fact that we believe in the sacred itself. They don't understand because they state that not all beliefs regarding God can be right. They say only one is the real God and the others are imposters.

We say that ideas of right and wrong in regards to God have no place because we all believe by faith. Faith cannot be right or wrong because it is beyond the realm of evidence. Therefore, we can come together and learn from each others faiths because we realize that faith by its very definition cannot be wrong. My conception of God is really no better or worse than yours (if you have a conception that is).

We transcend such problems that produce religious problems and conflicts in the world and recognize that we are united by the belief in the sacred. As such, we realize that the our conception of the sacred is less important than our common belief in the sacred and how that unites us. The 7 principles are an expression of this covenant (as David likes to say) and we live our lives by these principles.

So here is how I define my view of our shared theology:

"UU's have a shared faith and belief in the sacred which they define as individuals based on their own reason, personal experiences and conscience. UU's desire to experience the sacred and have a sense of connection and astonishment for it. It is this belief in the sacred that unites UU's into a convental community and inspires them towards liberty and equality."
If I have overstepped my bounds with this little exposition then please let me know. Also, this may have been stated by another and I am sorry if I stole anothers idea. Finally, I may have been too long winded with my definition and lost my initial intention. It is just that I feel we have a shared theology but it is not easy to define. We cannot all say that we believe in Jesus Christ as our saviour like Christians but I believe that we do share a theology.

Please let me know what you think.

Yours in Reason,

Joe

Davidium

"UU's have a shared faith and belief in the sacred which they define as individuals based on their own reason, personal experiences and conscience. UU's desire to experience the sacred and have a sense of connection and astonishment for it. It is this belief in the sacred that unites UU's into a convental community and inspires them towards liberty and equality."
What a great elevator speach, Joe!

I will have to ponder your post in a bit more detail... but I like it alot. In fact, I may borrow it and use it in the newsletter article that I am writing. I will give you credit, of course.

I think one of my weaknesses is that I keep thinking of UU Theology in exclusionary terms... as to what we are not, not what we are. Your message of unity in the sacred is the opposite.

Good work!

Yours in Faith,

David

Davidium

I thought as a way to continue this converation, I would throw Rev. David Rankins "Ten Belief" into this discussion. This is one of the few "We Believes" that I think most UU's can agree with.

David Rankin's Ten Beliefs

(David O. Rankin is a long time Unitarian Universalist Minister, Free lance writer, and activist from Moscow, Idaho. His "Ten Beliefs" are considered one of the great starting points in understanding Unitarian Universalism.)

We believe in the freedom of religious expression. All individuals should be encouraged to develop a personal theology, and to openly present their religious opinions without fear of censure or reprisal.​

We believe in tolerance of religious ideas. The religions of every age and culture have something to teach those who listen.​

We believe in the authority of reason and conscience. The ultimate arbiter in religion is not a church, a document, or an official, but the personal choice and decision of the individual.​

We believe in the search for truth. With an open mind and heart, there is no end to the fruitful and exciting revelations that the human spirit can find.​

We believe in the unity of experience. There is no fundamental conflict between faith and knowledge; religion and the world; the sacred and the secular.​

We believe in the worth and dignity of each human being. All people on earth have an equal claim to life., liberty and justice; no idea, ideal, or philosophy is superior to a single human life.​

We believe in the ethical application of religion. Inner grace and faith find completion in social and community involvement.​

We believe in the force of love, that the governing, principle in human relationships is the principle of love, which seeks to help and heal, never to hurt or destroy.​

We believe in the necessity of the democratic process. Records are open to scrutiny, elections are open to members, and ideas are open to criticism, so that people might govern themselves.​

We believe in the importance of a religious community. Peers confirm and validate experience, and provide a critical platform, as well as a network of mutual support.