• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outsourcing

Innominate

misanthrope
I realize that the outsourcing debate has been had on this forum time and again, but I ask that it be brought up once more. I have an assignment in economics to have just this debate, and what better community to go to than the people at ReligiousForums? I have a few questions that I must specifically go into to receive credit, but beyond that, let's have at it.

Required questions to answer (and consequently my answers and foundation for the thread):
Why are some people against outsourcing?
A great many people are against outsourcing for the simple proposition of keeping jobs in the country and being able to have better control over what the businesses do. This may sound like a scary proposition with the latter sentence, but, to me at least, it's a plus to be able to limit a business' ability to damage the environment, mistreat employees, etc.

Why do others support it?
Some people hold the view that businesses should be able to do whatever gets them more money, regardless of the consequences that come along with doing so. This viewpoint seems to grow out of the idea that the market will be the best when untouched and unaltered. (If you hold this latter view and I misrepresented your beliefs, by all means, correct me)

What industries or companies may have an interest in outsourcing to Japan or India?
IT jobs are probably one of the most known types of jobs to outsource to India.

What barriers to trade would prevent an American company outsourcing to one of those countries?
It would seem that any trade barrier would prevent outsourcing, such as enough taxation to punish businesses that seek outsourcing. Cutting some of the regulations could also make America more attractive, but again, there are plenty of regulations that cut into the bottom line that are necessary if we care about the world we live in.

And here is what will most likely make up the majority of the thread
Do you think outsourcing would promote or hinder a healthy American economy? Explain.
Outsourcing may seem appealing at first, but when it comes down to the effects, jobs will be lost in the United States. Jobs are lost often times due to actions within the country, but shipping skilled jobs overseas would have the undesirable effect of displacing these skilled workers with less opportunity to be of use to the market, and therefore they would be left with a lower paying job and potentially a lower standard of living.
I understand the principle of keeping freedom, but that should be on the individual level, not on the level of allowing business to do whatever they wish. If we are okay with the latter, it's our planet that is in trouble.