• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pack up your troubles: two tales

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm aware of an old Chasidic story which I thought I might share for no particular reason ...

It is told that the rabbi of one particular town instructed all its inhabitants to put their troubles in a sack, and then to leave that sack in the town square. And so it was done.​
Some time later, this rabbi told the inhabitants to return to the square and take whichever sack they wished.​
Each returned, searched, and took the sack that he or she had left.​

I spent a short bit of time searching for the source of this tale, only to stumble upon a much different story ...

We are sometimes find ourselves wedded to our own pain yet divorced from the pain of others.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm aware of an old Chasidic story which I thought I might share for no particular reason ...

It is told that the rabbi of one particular town instructed all its inhabitants to put their troubles in a sack, and then to leave that sack in the town square. And so it was done.​
Some time later, this rabbi told the inhabitants to return to the square and take whichever sack they wished.​
Each returned, searched, and took the sack that he or she had left.​

I spent a short bit of time searching for the source of this tale, only to stumble upon a much different story ...

We are sometimes find ourselves wedded to our own pain yet divorced from the pain of others.
I wonder how things would go if everyone picked a different bag.

We all have different ways of solving problems, different skills and resources. If everyone picked a different bag, perhaps some of the bags would get emptied...