• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pantheists: Are You Monotheistic or Polytheistic Lenient?

Is the universe itself One-God?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I was just thinking about this today. Would you say each thing is a god itself, a different form of divine? Or would you say that the whole universe, everything inside of it is one big god? Are there different types of divinity?

For example - Is a tree a different "god" than a mountain? etc. Or is everything all just one?

If my question makes sense of course.

Also another question - If you think it is a One-God, do you believe it is conscious/animate or not?

Last edited:

Kalidas

I have stated this before lol. The universe is God in physical form. Yet there is still a soul and each living creature is but a piece of the physical and each living creatures could is but a piece of THE soul.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to confuse you.

Would I say that each thing is a god itself? Yes.
Would I say the whole universe is one big god? Yes.
Is everything all just one? No.

Kalidas

Oh lord the suspense is killing me. Mind elaborating to sate my curiosity?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

So, from how I read it, your pantheism is (little gods all = 1 big god)?

mycorrhiza

Voted other, because to me God is just a metaphor. Both leanings work well, because the Universe exists both as it's parts and as a whole.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So, from how I read it, your pantheism is (little gods all = 1 big god)?

I'm a hard polytheist who recognizes that we exist in an interconnected reality that can be described with many levels of organization.

On a philosophical level, I see slicing up the gods is a numbers game and a human construct. It's a map of the territory. One might ask: is this text here a paragraph or a bunch of individual letters? To claim it is one or the other is silly. It is also silly to say that the paragraph and the letters are the same, because they're not (something a soft polytheist would disagree with). The letters are "one" with the paragraph insofar as they have a relationship with each other to form something bigger than themselves, but I do not see them as a seamless unity or interchangeable equivalents.

The whole universe can be described as Universe Spirit - a singular concept. Just like Gaea can be described as a singular concept. But within that there's a bunch of multiplicity. And the multiplicity is not interchangeable with the overarching level of organization that encompasses it. Gaea is not Universe, Ocean is not Gaea, Fish is not Ocean. If I'm making sense.

idav

Being
Premium Member
With the sum of its parts it is one system. Parts of it may have individual awareness while supporting the system as a whole. Similar to the concept of a multicellular organism.

Everything can be seen as divine and sacred but not necessarily godlike. Though anything within the system is a part of God as it shares in the power within existence.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I figure that if god is the universe, then it's like The Zerg from Starcraft. The universe/god as a whole is like the Overmind...but there might be lesser divine creatures like Cerebrates that correspond to god's organs. Perhaps there's a hierarchy of sentient beings and we're like the creep or larvae or something.

Perhaps there is a god and this is it's symbol:

images

idav

Being
Premium Member
I figure that if god is the universe, then it's like The Zerg from Starcraft. The universe/god as a whole is like the Overmind...but there might be lesser divine creatures like Cerebrates that correspond to god's organs. Perhaps there's a hierarchy of sentient beings and we're like the creep or larvae or something.

images

Kinda like that maybe. I believe the connection to be more in a spiritual sense, emanations of the basic substance(common building blocks). Alot of it is empty space but science has shown it isnt really empty.

Almustafa

energy is likened to clay; a mountain & a tree are different but in truth they are really the same substance...

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I voted other. God/dess is many things and all things. From trees and individual animals, to mountains and oceans. Each thing individually is a part of God, but also a god/spirit in itself. All the parts stars, waters, bodies, make up the whole which is god. You can pay homage to both the whole of creation as god, or the individual parts as god equally.
I hope that makes a little bit of sense. I am not always good at putting my personal philosophies into words.

Kalidas

images

The zerg? Oh you mean those Tyranid rip offs :D

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Voted other more monistic then monotheistic, with an anamistic polythestic mask.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
The zerg? Oh you mean those Tyranid rip offs :D

I'm not sure, but I heard Starcraft was originally supposed to be made by the company that makes the games with Tyranids in it, but that Blizzard bought the idea and tweaked it slightly. I prefer the zerg personally. Already there's a denominational split lol.