• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part of being Privileged is not having to think about being Privileged

Alceste

Vagabond
Right, aren't we all "Mutts" at the end of the day?

Yeah, we are, but due to our conditioning we (white people) tend to be fairly blind to our own mixed heritage and too acutely aware of the mixed heritage of others. How many times have you heard the story of someone asking a non-white person of ambiguous heritage "where are you from?" and refusing to accept "I was born right here" for an answer? There are always follow-up questions - where are your PARENTS from? What's your 'ethnicity', etc. It's really awkward, but I have to admit I even do it myself sometimes. I assume all the white people were born here and are fully 100% "Canadian" unless they have some kind of accent. Anybody who doesn't look European, I find myself wondering about their heritage. I'm not such an ******* I'm going to start one of those retarded "Where are you from" conversations myself - I just force myself to assume everybody is 100% Canadian unless they have an accent, regardless of their physical appearance. We're all immigrants here anyway except for the natives.

Going to be honest right now, I kind of hate it when people say that because I think it erases the experience of mixed people, we still have different experiences then white people when it comes to race.

I hear you.

Aquitaine

Going to be honest right now, I kind of hate it when people say that because I think it erases the experience of mixed people, we still have different experiences then white people when it comes to race.

Aye, I'm not denying that. What I'm saying is I find it daft that such barriers and differences in experience even exist in the first place, when we're all from the same one Race, and that we all originated from the same source.

Ultimately what I'm saying is, we're all Human so why discriminate in the first place?

Alceste

Vagabond
Aye, I'm not denying that. What I'm saying is I find it daft that such barriers and differences in experience even exist in the first place, when we're all from the same one Race, and that we all originated from the same source.

Ultimately what I'm saying is, we're all Human so why discriminate in the first place?

I hear you too. We're all African. Some of us just left home a little sooner than others. Genetic drift is such a trouble-maker.

Wherenextcolumbus

I actually don't mind when people ask me where I'm from, I prefer people ask me what my ethnic background is, then assume what my ethnic background is.
(I realise that others may be uncomfortable with that question)
I honestly don't feel I need to live in a colourblind world, for a lot of people their ethnic background is apart of their identity. I just don't want a hierarchy based on race and colourism, that is all.

Aquitaine

I actually don't mind when people ask me where I'm from, I prefer people ask me what my ethnic background is, then assume what my ethnic background is.
I honestly don't feel I need to live in a colourblind world, for a lot of people their ethnic background is apart of their identity. I just don't want a hierarchy based on race and colourism, that is all.

Indeed. We should recognise and be able to indulge in Ethnic heritage, but not discriminate based off it.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Well,.I'm as white as a sheet.Basically a mutant .I'm white with a pink hue...If I get in the sun I turn "red" and get brown dots.

I have to be in a cave to survive.I do not "tan".I get "radioactive burn".So I'm pretty much useless.

Wherenextcolumbus

And for those that say race/skin colour doesn't matter, only class, why did my niece turn around and say to me when she was 3/4 years old that she wishes she was light skinned she wishes she was "peach." Even children recognise that there is a white beauty standard.
This thread made me really angry I must say.

Aquitaine

And for those that say race/skin colour doesn't matter, only class, why did my niece turn around and say to me when she was 3/4 years old that she wishes she was light skinned she wishes she was "peach." Even children recognise that there is a white beauty standard.
This thread made me really angry I must say.

Funnily enough, most white people I know wish they were darker lol.

I will admit though, there does appear to be a white beauty standard, in some parts of the world you can buy skin products that literally bleach your skin to be lighter.

Wherenextcolumbus

Funnily enough, most white people I know wish they were darker lol.

I will admit though, there does appear to be a white beauty standard, in some parts of the world you can buy skin products that literally bleach your skin to be lighter.

White people wish they were tanned but still perceived as white, but that is because being tanned is now a status symbol, because it symbolises that you have the money to go on holiday and be lazy and get a tan. It used to be that being really pale was the standard because it meant you had the money to stay inside and be lazy.

Alceste

Vagabond

Sure, I'm proud of my Russian ancestry and fascinated by the history of Ireland and the UK. I play Celtic folk music. But "where are you from" is never among the first questions I have to get into when I meet new people unless I'm in a foreign country and my accent tips people off. My Canadian friend whose parents immigrated from Trinidad gets it all the time. I guess I just find it embarrassing more than anything else. Likewise, my ex was usually referred to as "Guatemalan" even though he was born in Canada, because his parents immigrated from Guatemala. It just strikes me as a double standard. They're no less Canadian than I am, but they are always being asked how they came to be here, basically, just because their complexion is different from mine.

Wherenextcolumbus

And anyone that thinks I'm trying to make anyone feel awful for being white, and accepting white privilege exists is being anti-white, can I just say get over yourself and stop making this about you!

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Yeah, we are, but due to our conditioning we (white people) tend to be fairly blind to our own mixed heritage and too acutely aware of the mixed heritage of others. How many times have you heard the story of someone asking a non-white person of ambiguous heritage "where are you from?" and refusing to accept "I was born right here" for an answer? There are always follow-up questions - where are your PARENTS from? What's your 'ethnicity', etc. It's really awkward, but I have to admit I even do it myself sometimes. I assume all the white people were born here and are fully 100% "Canadian" unless they have some kind of accent. Anybody who doesn't look European, I find myself wondering about their heritage. I'm not such an ******* I'm going to start one of those retarded "Where are you from" conversations myself - I just force myself to assume everybody is 100% Canadian unless they have an accent, regardless of their physical appearance. We're all immigrants here anyway except for the natives.

I hear you.

Ah, that's why you're awesome--you're Canadian!

Alceste

Vagabond
And anyone that thinks I'm trying to make anyone feel awful for being white, and accepting white privilege exists is being anti-white, can I just say get over yourself and stop making this about you!

Actually, it is about being privileged and thinking about what that means, or not. ;)

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

I hear you.

LOL I get that all too often. Stranger:"Where are you from?" Me: "Boston." Stranger:"Come on, you know what I mean..."

Me Myself

Back to my username
LOL I get that all too often. Stranger:"Where are you from?" Me: "Boston." Stranger:"Come on, you know what I mean..."

Its more or less why I think "african american" or "african ecuadorian" is such an idiotically stupid term.

AFAIK, We all come from friggin africa. If you wanna say black, say black.