• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Partners on a different path

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm wondering as of late what marriage is like when husband shares a different faith than wife or vice versa.

I could totally see a liberal Catholic with a Jew, Buddhist or Hindu, but wonder what a devout Christian and a devout Muslim Marriage would be like. For instance, who decides whether it will be a Christian Minister or Imam who celebrates the service or whether the liturgical rubrics will be Christian or Muslim? Then of course I wonder how a devout Muslim could put up with someone who believes in the Trinity, because the Koran condemns it as offensive to God.

I'd be more interested to see what a marriage between a hardcore Protestant Fundamentalist and a Pagan would look like. :D Because The Protestant Fundamentalist would always have the strong conviction that his wife is worshipping Satan and Demons because Fundamentalists (at least in my experience of them) are united in the belief that Pagan Deities are Demons or Satan in disguise. So the Fundamentalist Husband would always probably be wondering if all of the problems that arise within a marriage are the result of his Satanic wife worshipping Demons, summoning spirits, or whatever.

It just sounds like a total and complete deal breaker to me! The other partner is bringing Demons into the household afterall. :p Then, how does a fundamentalist raise kids to be Christian, when the Pagan should have just as much say so as to what spiritual practices the kids should be taught? I'm sure such marriages have happened before, but I don't see how they could endure unless one person eventually becomes less devout or converts.

Have you had a marriage or lived with a boyfriend/girlfriend of a different faith? What kind of problems arose?

Last edited by a moderator:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm wondering as of late what marriage is like when husband shares a different faith than wife or vice versa.

I could totally see a liberal Catholic with a Jew, Buddhist or Hindu, but wonder what a devout Christian and a devout Muslim Marriage would be like. For instance, who decides whether it will be a Christian Minister or Imam who celebrates the service or whether the liturgical rubrics will be Christian or Muslim? Then of course I wonder how a devout Muslim could put up with someone who believes in the Trinity, because the Koran condemns it as offensive to God.

I'd be more interested to see what a marriage between a hardcore Protestant Fundamentalist and a Pagan would look like. :D Because The Protestant Fundamentalist would always have the strong conviction that his wife is worshipping Satan and Demons because Fundamentalists (at least in my experience of them) are united in the belief that Pagan Deities are Demons or Satan in disguise. So the Fundamentalist Husband would always probably be wondering if all of the problems that arise within a marriage are the result of his Satanic wife worshipping Demons, summoning spirits, or whatever.

It just sounds like a total and complete deal breaker to me! The other partner is bringing Demons into the household afterall. :p Then, how does a fundamentalist raise kids to be Christian, when the Pagan should have just as much say so as to what spiritual practices the kids should be taught. I'm sure such marriages have happened before, but I don't see how they could endure unless one person eventually becomes less devout or converts.

Have you had a marriage or lived with a boyfriend/girlfriend of a different faith? What kind of problems arose?
Obviously the partners would need to have found they have a mutual respect for each others' traditions. This I imagine would be hard to achieve if a tribal extremist of any faith were to be involved.

But for those who are not tribal extremists, a modus vivendi might be possible.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Obviously the partners would need to have found they have a mutual respect for each others' traditions. This I imagine would be hard to achieve if a tribal extremist of any faith were to be involved.

But for those who are not tribal extremists, a modus vivendi might be possible.
In my experience with Fundamentalists, you have to hate and detest what is Satanic and Demonic. I couldn't see the Fundamentalists I have had discussions with ever respecting someone who worships Demons, therefore Hindus, Polytheists, pagans etc. are just a deal breaker. I just can't see the Fundies I've met in real life or on the Internet developing a respect for those "Satanic" traditions.

PureX

Veteran Member
Ideological elitists are not likely to marry anyone with whom they strongly disagree or disapprove. So the issue simply doesn't come up.

Sadly, however, it does happen that one partner already in a marriage will become so enamored with some ideologically elitist religion or social group that their association with that group will drive them into enmity with their own spouse (and/or with other family members). And the result is, more often then not, an unresolvable schism in the marriage and/or family.

Ideological elitism is a social toxin that can and often does destroy all associations not included within it's approved meme.

Last edited:

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall

It just sounds like a total and complete deal breaker to me! The other partner is bringing Demons into the household afterall. :p Then, how does a fundamentalist raise kids to be Christian, when the Pagan should have just as much say so as to what spiritual practices the kids should be taught? I'm sure such marriages have happened before, but I don't see how they could endure unless one person eventually becomes less devout or converts.

30 years in the Couples Coaching business and I would say that shared core values are essential. 'Two cant walk together unless their agreed"

Shushersbedamned

I imagine since the two x's ended up together in the first place it would be a more likely problem what the relatives of both think of it.

It was in the paper just the other day that now there are some offers for money paid for murder around here dUe to whattayacallit relations that somehow "humiliate" the rest of the family. Honor something...

Podo

I dated a woman who was very Catholic, for several years. It was difficult. Her religion was not the reason we separated, but it definitely contributed to our communication issues. Her faith influenced almost every decision she made, and faith is not something I can really relate to.

The Empress

The Christian scriptures do declare that all Gods of the Gentiles are Demons, so no that definitely wouldn't work out. I think it ultimately couldn't work out since the partners would have very different life goals and it's religiously taboo. The only man I'll ever love was Christian but that didn't work out. Its important in a serious partnership to have the same life goals or least similar purpose which differing belief systems usually don't have.