• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People I admire: Mahatma Gandhi.

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
Hello I am starting to name peope I admire every day or so in this thread to see what other people think of them. Also fun stories and facts and quotes about them.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Good thread. I admire Sir Thomas More. He was a loyal friend to Henry VIII but he wouldn't compromise his principles, even if it meant being put to death by his friend. Which happened.

He was one cool cucumber. When he walked up and put his head on the chopping block, he asked for a moment and he reached down and moved his beard out of the way of the axe. He told the executioner, "Please don't chop my beard - it has done no wrong and has served me well." (He had been imprisoned in a very cold cell in the tower of London and the beard had helped keep him warm.)

He was a champion of womens' rights and of education. He was a faithful and good husband. He had a brilliant mind but was very humble, even though he was in a position of power.

I admire him greatly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Richard Feynman is king of the nerds.

Smart as a whip, great sense of humor, with interesting things to say about his Picaresque adventures.

elmarna

I admire down syndrome people.
They are not boged down with the symptoms of a mind considering the social pressues or thoughts that come from a thought process that holds onto the social, political mainstream.
They do not hesitate to express exactly how they feel.
They love whole heartedly! They have a inate sense of compassion without needing to understand who or why the other is feeling "blue".
They look at life and it's wonders with a zest for life.
In their simplicity they go through life with trust pure (the 1s not abused).
I have yet to meet someone who was not willing to share and connect intimately with wanting to really get to know you.
In the foundations of them the heart is good and kind.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Gandhi was a douche. He did not allow his wife to receive medical treatment, which lead to his death. Yet when he found himself in the same situation he didn't hesitate to receive edical treatment. He also implored the British to surrender to Hitler and criticized the Jews for fleeing and/or resisting rather than taking their own lives as a display of defiance towards Hitler. He also disowned his own son over some trivial, arbitrary reason.

He, and the likes of John Lennon, Mother Terresia, etc. are overrated figures who never deserved the saint/messiah figure treatment they've been given.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Gandhi was a douche. He did not allow his wife to receive medical treatment, which lead to his death. Yet when he found himself in the same situation he didn't hesitate to receive edical treatment. He also implored the British to surrender to Hitler and criticized the Jews for fleeing and/or resisting rather than taking their own lives as a display of defiance towards Hitler. He also disowned his own son over some trivial, arbitrary reason.
He, and the likes of John Lennon, Mother Terresia, etc. are overrated figures who never deserved the saint/messiah figure treatment they've been given.
Gandhi was also a deluded fan of Soviet communism.
But he still had some admirable qualities.
Ain't none of us perfect.
Even Richard Feynman had bad hair days.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I admire my 19-year-old son. He has autism. At school, he is going to job sites- like Petco and Black Angus (a restaurant) to work. He is a happy young man with a wonderful sense of humor.

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
Nelson Mandela. He did a lot more for healing South Africa into the post-apartheid era than most people think.

Trey of Diamonds

Hello I am starting to name peope I admire every day or so in this thread to see what other people think of them. Also fun stories and facts and quotes about them.

I admire Gandhi but I don't totally agree with him. His tactics worked in the situation that he was in but in a different scenerio they would have been an Epic Fail. He told the jews to use his techniques on the Nazis and I find that totally irresponsible. Non-violent resistance can work, I think it would work now for the Palestinians, but it is not always the best solution and sometimes it is the absolute worst solution. Gandhi's biggest flaw was in not realising that.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Being one with everything [fleetingly atleast]
there can not be favorites.
Each one being a part of THAT *whole* is contributing to the evolutionary process of the WHOLE.
Each one does out of its own accord as is his karma!

Sorry if the post is against the spirit of the thread; but needed to share.

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend jojo,

Welcome to RF!
Best Wishes.

The OP here is about admiration of Mahatma Gandhi; however you may start another thread on Christopher Hitchens if you wish.

Love & rgds

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
Well actually this thread can be about anyone you admire, and a lot about people I admire. These people have been "canonized" in the "Church of hindupridemn" so to speak lol.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I admire myself. I display amazingly high levels of intelligence, creativity, charm, humor, and modesty. Basically, I'm the guy all the guys want to be, and all the girls want to be with, and I'm a nice guy to boot. I'm one helluva person.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I admire Mr. Rogers. He was such a humble, sweet man. Had faith but didn't proselytize or judge. Knew how to talk to children. When he died, it was a sad loss.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I admire myself. I display amazingly high levels of intelligence, creativity, charm, humor, and modesty. Basically, I'm the guy all the guys want to be, and all the girls want to be with, and I'm a nice guy to boot. I'm one helluva person.

Oh wait, I mispoke. I admire somebody else whom I imagine embodies the qualities I like to think I also have. So, I'm not really admiring myself, but rather a symbolic representation of who I like to think I am.