• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Persecution of Christians in Sunni Pakistan.

stevecanuck

As you can see by the link, this story was carried by the Daily Mail in the U.K., but nowhere else that I can find other than in Christian blogs and publications. I fail to see how this is not worthy of mention elsewhere in the collective West. Persecution of religious and/or ethnic minorities is always big news, so why not in this case? To cynically answer my own question - persecution of Christians in Pakistan is ignored for two reasons: One - the victims are Christian, and two - the perpetrator is an 'ally' Sunni Muslim government. Any story that challenges the myth that Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance simply fails the test of political expediency and is elbowed into the dust bin. Actual news and human rights be damned.

Christian mechanic is sentenced to death for blasphemy in Pakistan after he argued with a customer | Daily Mail Online

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
One possible explanation of why other organizations might not run the story could be because they have been unable to verify some or all of the reported details published by the Mail.

Another possible reason could be that the story in the Mail might be a rehash of an older story, and not be related to any current events.

The website https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-mail/ rates the Daily Mail as of low reliability and high bias.

MBFCLow.png

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
One possible explanation of why other organizations might not run the story could be because they have been unable to verify some or all of the reported details published by the Mail.

Another possible reason could be that the story in the Mail might be a rehash of an older story, and not be related to any current events.

The website https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-mail/ rates the Daily Mail as of low reliability and high bias.

MBFCLow.png
But the cited facts seems to be all over many websites. Like this:

Christian mechanic in Pakistan gets death for ‘blasphemy’. His said ‘Jesus is supreme’ (msn.com)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As you can see by the link, this story was carried by the Daily Mail in the U.K., but nowhere else that I can find other than in Christian blogs and publications. I fail to see how this is not worthy of mention elsewhere in the collective West. Persecution of religious and/or ethnic minorities is always big news, so why not in this case? To cynically answer my own question - persecution of Christians in Pakistan is ignored for two reasons: One - the victims are Christian, and two - the perpetrator is an 'ally' Sunni Muslim government. Any story that challenges the myth that Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance simply fails the test of political expediency and is elbowed into the dust bin. Actual news and human rights be damned.

Christian mechanic is sentenced to death for blasphemy in Pakistan after he argued with a customer | Daily Mail Online

I wouldn't trust the daily mail on anything without fact checking it first. The paper has a lousy reputation for bias sensationalism and fake news.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
When I read into this it isn't about persecution of a Christian for being Christian. It's hard to sell it as such when more Muslims and even Ahmadis are sentenced. This is really about Pakistan's blasphemy law. Albeit, a very barbaric law. It's not my country. All I can do is have my disapproval be noted, however it falls on deaf ears over there.

danieldemol

Premium Member

I used to relay such stories when I could find them from reliable sources, but I would typically be told of for sharing them.

It didn't bother me that Muslims told me off, what got to me was all the people who were non-Muslim who said words to the effect of, "this is what we expect from Pakistan so what's the point of sharing it?"

If non-Muslims prefer to remain uninformed of what's going on in Pakistan I wasn't sure there was a point to keeping up what I personally saw as useful information given the energy it took to find reliable articles.

In my opinion.

stvdv

Veteran Member
I used to relay such stories when I could find them from reliable sources, but I would typically be told of for sharing them.

It didn't bother me that Muslims told me off, what got to me was all the people who were non-Muslim who said words to the effect of, "this is what we expect from Pakistan so what's the point of sharing it?"

If non-Muslims prefer to remain uninformed of what's going on in Pakistan I wasn't sure there was a point to keeping up what I personally saw as useful information given the energy it took to find reliable articles.

In my opinion.
I understand

I always appreciated your posts

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It's possible that the Western press doesn't want to alienate Pakistan, due to geopolitics and their position in the world. For similar reasons, Saudi Arabia's medieval system also gets a pass from the West.

If you're trying to discern a consistent set of moral and political principles from Western governments and media, you'll never find it. There is no consistency.

The only real consistency you'll find is that, if it makes money for Western corporations and banks, then they'll approve of it. If it doesn't, then they'll find every possible excuse to condemn it.

stevecanuck

It's possible that the Western press doesn't want to alienate Pakistan, due to geopolitics and their position in the world. For similar reasons, Saudi Arabia's medieval system also gets a pass from the West.

If you're trying to discern a consistent set of moral and political principles from Western governments and media, you'll never find it. There is no consistency.

The only real consistency you'll find is that, if it makes money for Western corporations and banks, then they'll approve of it. If it doesn't, then they'll find every possible excuse to condemn it.

Yes, geopolitics and the world economy leave no room for altruism. In fact, it has to be the first casualty. If the collective 'West' were to base policy on doing the right thing and standing up for the oppressed, it would have to break economic ties with the likes of China, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Venezuela. Anyone who supports doing so better be prepared to pay unbelievable prices for every single item they buy.

But they do. Atheists in Muslim countries, for example. Those who draw the prophet etc. It's not like Christians are being singled out here.

Most of the non-Muslims charged with blasphemy probably didn't commit blasphemy though, they just annoyed someone who then said they committed blasphemy.

(Happy Birthday btw :birthdaycake:)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Even if true, the blasphemy laws apply equally to Muslims, too.

Not at all, since a Christian or atheist is disproportionately more likely than a follower of mainstream Islam to run afoul of blasphemy laws grounded in fundamentalist Islamic doctrine. Merely stating some of their beliefs publicly or preaching them could result in persecution in some Islamic countries.

But they do. Atheists in Muslim countries, for example. Those who draw the prophet etc. It's not like Christians are being singled out here.

That's true, but I don't think the fact that Christians aren't the only ones targeted by draconian blasphemy laws makes said laws any more acceptable or any less abusive.

Also, Happy Birthday!

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
When I read into this it isn't about persecution of a Christian for being Christian. It's hard to sell it as such when more Muslims and even Ahmadis are sentenced. This is really about Pakistan's blasphemy law. Albeit, a very barbaric law. It's not my country. All I can do is have my disapproval be noted, however it falls on deaf ears over there.

It is indeed about being Christian--or non-Muslim, more specifically. It is true that Christians aren't singled out for persecution by Pakistan's blasphemy laws, but that doesn't mean their status as Christians doesn't result in severe legal and social restrictions due to the fact that they don't belong to the ruling denomination of the majority religion.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It is indeed about being Christian--or non-Muslim, more specifically. It is true that Christians aren't singled out for persecution by Pakistan's blasphemy laws, but that doesn't mean their status as Christians doesn't result in severe legal and social restrictions due to the fact that they don't belong to the ruling denomination of the majority religion.

I think Christianity is seen as worse than atheism. I read that somewhere in the past. Probably because atheists don't generally get vocal about their non-belief, whereas Christians often mention Jesus in passing.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think Christianity is seen as worse than atheism. I read that somewhere in the past. Probably because atheists don't generally get vocal about their non-belief, whereas Christians often mention Jesus in passing.

It depends: when it comes to preaching in, say, Pakistan or Saudi Arabia, both Christians and atheists are persecuted equally, more or less. But when it comes to stating one's beliefs or identification with a specific worldview, many Islamic countries tolerate Christianity far more than atheism--especially when the atheists also happen to be ex-Muslims/"apostates," which is typically the case considering that Islam is the majority religion in those countries.

Christians and Jews are considered People of the Book in mainstream Islam, after all, so multiple Islamic countries give them more legal and/or social recognition than other religions or atheism.