• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal News

J Bryson

A couple of weeks ago, my minister called me to ask if it would be okay for him to submit my name for nomination as a candidate for the Board of Trustees of the church. I told him to go ahead, thinking that nothing would come of it due to the fact that there are any number of people who have been at that church for longer.

Today, I found out right before the elections that there were two other candidates for the board, and three openings. The floor was opened to other nominations. Nobody had any.

We were elected by general acclimation.

So I've gone from "Well, I'm not really a churchgoing person." at this time last year to a member of the Board of Trustees of my church. I'm ready for the responsibility, but a bit overwhelmed at the trust that has been placed in me, and the suddenness of the change in my life.

J Bryson

Thanks. I hope so. Definitely feeling up to the responsibility.

I couldn't put my finger on what seemed odd about the situation until a few minutes ago, when I was messaging an old friend of mine. It's this: I'm not just growing up, I'm becoming a respectable member of society. That's okay, though. My disreputable days were fun for a while, but eventually grew boring.

Trey of Diamonds

So I've gone from "Well, I'm not really a churchgoing person." at this time last year to a member of the Board of Trustees of my church.

Welcome to the club my friend, and congrats. What position did you get? I somehow ended up being the secretary of our Board and I'm still not sure how it happened. I know I was promised beer at the meetings and only found out later that it was after the meetings instead of during. Always remember to check the fine print. :D

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
funny-pictures-bravo-bunny.jpg

J Bryson

Welcome to the club my friend, and congrats. What position did you get? I somehow ended up being the secretary of our Board and I'm still not sure how it happened. I know I was promised beer at the meetings and only found out later that it was after the meetings instead of during. Always remember to check the fine print. :D

I seem to be a minister-without-portfolio at the moment. However, I'm sure that they'll think of something. When I mentioned my interest in homelessness issues, Rev. Clyde said that he was part of an interfaith council that worked on those issues, but hadn't been making the meetings lately, or paying the dues. He mentioned that he might send me as a representative instead. First, though, I want to see exactly what issues the church is facing, exactly what issues the community is facing, and figure out in conjunction with the other board members what we should be looking at.

At the last general meeting of the membership, there was some minor controversy as to how to make up the same fundraising shortfall that every church is experiencing. That was resolved. Now we have to figure out where the money is going....

This is going to be fascinating.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend J Bryson,

One always gets what one asks for; deep down.

AM sure, you will do your best.

Best Wishes.
Love & rgds

Karl R

my minister called me to ask if it would be okay for him to submit my name for nomination as a candidate for the Board of Trustees of the church. I told him to go ahead, thinking that nothing would come of it due to the fact that there are any number of people who have been at that church for longer.
Sucker!

J Bryson

Spent the past four days offline, helping my girlfriend move. Since she has no car, this involved a lot of lifting things onto buses and taking them back to her apartment from places all over L.A. Also, since her bed isn't in yet, we slept on the floor, meaning that I've had no sleep. This meant that when I woke up at seven in the morning today, it was a test of my devotion to the church when I was considering skipping services.

I showed up completely exhausted, but managed to do my greeter duties and helped out with the opening reading from the stage. After the service, we had a meeting to prepare for the post-Prop 8 California Supreme Court decision, as we seem to be the only people in Pasadena preparing some sort of immediate protest if it gets upheld. I was flipping through the minutes from the last Trustee's meeting while the protest meeting was happening and trying to figure out if I could do both that and the homeless work we're involved in, when one of the attendees said "Yes, but I don't have any days free to do that". Without thinking, I automatically said "My days are free."

At that point, I was named liaison to City Hall regarding security and permits.

Oy.

applewuud

I'm a little concerned...don't burn out! Being on a board can be a little bit like learning how sausages are made...you might not want to eat them after you see what goes into them! ;)

Joking aside, I wish that people could enjoy their new community for a few years before they're drafted for this kind of work. It can be a spiritual challenge...but hey, that's why religious community can be better than going it alone. Have fun, :bow: and ask for support when you need it.

J Bryson

You know, I was concerned as to the possibility of burnout. However, after attending the successful rally and march today, reading an inspirational passage to almost two hundred people, and realizing that my liaison with the police department (along with some last minute heroism from my roommate when I was out of touch) helped to bring it all about, I realized that whatever I've been drafted into, it's all worth it.

Trey of Diamonds

You know, I was concerned as to the possibility of burnout. However, after attending the successful rally and march today, reading an inspirational passage to almost two hundred people, and realizing that my liaison with the police department (along with some last minute heroism from my roommate when I was out of touch) helped to bring it all about, I realized that whatever I've been drafted into, it's all worth it.

Great to hear! And great to have you in the ranks.