• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plane Crash in Toronto

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Was God the Copilot?

A plane crashed in Toronto, and all of the almost 300 on board survived. Many religious people will say, "It's a mirace...thank God!" If no one had survived, would those same people have blamed God?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
retrorich said:
A plane crashed in Toronto and all of the almost 300 on board survived. Many religious people will say, "It's a mirace...thank God!" If no one had survived would these same people have blamed God?
I must admit, I used those words "It's a miracle....Thank God!" - but that is more a 'turn of phrase' than a deliberate belief that God miraculously saved the passengers - which I don't believe. Therefore I would'nt blame God had they died.

To me, God doesn't 'manipulate us' from day to day in our actions..... Does that make sense?:)

P.S Nice to see you back!

may

retrorich said:
Was God the Copilot?

A plane crashed in Toronto, and all of the almost 300 on board survived. Many religious people will say, "It's a mirace...thank God!" If no one had survived, would those same people have blamed God?
seems that it was right place right time the emergency service were there at the time so that made a difference to lives being saved

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
may said:
seems that it was right place right time the emergency service were there at the time so that made a difference to lives being saved
Can I assume from your reply that you do not believe God had anything to do with the fact that everyone aboard the plane survived the crash?

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Had they some screaming down from 30,000 feet in a burning crash and no one was hurt at all...then we can talk miracles.

When a plane overshoots a runway due to bad conditions and all safety measures worked...I think you can chalk it up to people pretty easily.

may

retrorich said:
Can I assume from your reply that you do not believe God had anything to do with the fact that everyone aboard the plane survived the crash?
thats correct,i dont think it did have any thing to do with it ,good and bad happen all the time its just the circumstanse that made this a bit different, if the emergency were not around at the time ,then many would have lost their lives i would think

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
may said:
thats correct,i dont think it did have any thing to do with it ,good and bad happen all the time its just the circumstanse that made this a bit different, if the emergency were not around at the time ,then many would have lost their lives i would think
I read - and saw that cars were stopping on the motorway just to the side of the field, and ordinary people were rushing up to help - makes you realize humanity isn't as bad as it is sometimes painted.:)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I do not know if God had his hands in this. I no longer ask this question. Whether he does or not is a matter of His will. Christ made it clear that we should not dwell on these. A response (faith) is what he hopes in us. Do not rely your faith on signs. This is an ancient habit people have.

The Least
~Victor

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I really don't care if God or Satan or the Invisible Pink Unicorn had a hand in it... what matters is that people survived. :) I'd feel the same if they all died... the important thing would be picking up and moving on.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Doesn't the Bible say somewhere that not one sparrow falls that God is not aware of?

People always thank God that disasters don't have worse outcomes, while conveniently ignoring the fact that God allowed, if not ordained them in the first place.

Isn't this something like thanking someone who's just shot out your kneecaps for not shooting you in the head?

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Seyorni said:
Doesn't the Bible say somewhere that not one sparrow falls that God is not aware of?

People always thank God that disasters don't have worse outcomes, while conveniently ignoring the fact that God allowed, if not ordained them in the first place.

Isn't this something like thanking someone who's just shot out your kneecaps for not shooting you in the head?
Great post! Frubals to you!

Quiddity

Seyorni said:

God never wills moral evil to anyone. He may will/allow physical evil (pain, hunger, sickness, death) when it will serve to achieve a greater good (e.g., repentance, avoidance of danger). What exactly that is I have no idea....I just trust in Him.

If God allows you to shoot out my kneecaps and that makes you repent and turn to him. I'll take that pain for you. It was worth it. ....;)
Millions of examples.

~Victor

Apotheosis

Did God sav them, perhaps, although my first guess would be that it was a combination of saftey procedures working, and maybe a little luck.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I respect your opinions Victor & Michel, but couldn't such Panglossian sophistry excuse just about any atrocity? The Jewish holocaust comes to mind.....

Aren't you starting from "best of all possible worlds," and " God works in mysterious ways" axioms and building explanations/excuses upon them?

Please understand that I'm not entirely in disagreement with you. I'm just curious about your reasoning in this matter. ;)

Quiddity

Seyorni said:
I respect your opinions Victor & Michel, but couldn't such Panglossian sophistry excuse just about any atrocity? The Jewish holocaust comes to mind.....

Aren't you starting from "best of all possible worlds," and " God works in mysterious ways" axioms and building explanations/excuses upon them?

Please understand that I'm not entirely in disagreement with you. I'm just curious about your reasoning in this matter. ;)
I'm certain many people do in fact use this as an excuse. I for one, am not one of them. I hold to my "I don't know" and still believe that God is all good. God said to trust Him and I'm trying my darnest to do just that.

I think I heard a story once in which a father sat back in pain watching his son cry at the top of his lungs because some man was trying to shove electronic devices down his mouth. The man was a dentist, but no explaination could ever justify the atrocity in the little boys eyes. Even when the father tried the boy would not understand and yell out for him. The Father was heart broken.

This may not be an answer that many like, but it's the best I got.

The Least
~Victor

Jensen

Wouldn't you say that if God does a miracle for some people and not others that that is favoritism? Or interference in this system of things? Isn't that what is meant by that God lets it rain on the just and the unjust? That he doesn't interfer?

Jensen

may

Jensen said:
Wouldn't you say that if God does a miracle for some people and not others that that is favoritism? Or interference in this system of things? Isn't that what is meant by that God lets it rain on the just and the unjust? That he doesn't interfer?

Jensen
yes i think so ,but saying that, when it comes to accomplishing his will regarding devine rulership, i think the bible says that God will manouver things to accomplish his purpose on the earth .but as you say ,as a general rule unforeseen accurance does happen
I returned to see under the sun that the swift do not have the race, nor the mighty ones the battle, nor do the wise also have the food, nor do the understanding ones also have the riches, nor do even those having knowledge have the favor; because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all....Ecclesiastes 9;11

greatcalgarian

Attribute everything good to God, and everything bad to Satan. That is how Christianity dogma works. It makes those believers feel good when something good happened, and feel good as well when something bad happened. This according to a Chinese great writer, is known as the spirit of Ah-Q.