• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politics and Power

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
The aim of going into politics is to get as much power as possible for as long as possible

Discuss

Erebus

The aim of going into politics is to get as much power as possible for as long as possible

Discuss

I'd say this is a common motivator. For some politicians it seems to be the primary motivator.

However, I don't think it's the sole reason people get into politics. I'd say most people have at least a rough idea of how they want society to be and going into politics is one way you can attempt to achieve that vision. That isn't simply a case of acquiring power for its own sake, it implies a desire to change what one sees as problematic and to preserve what one sees as beneficial.

Note that this doesn't mean the politician in question has everybody's best interests at heart. It's entirely possible for somebody's ideal society to entail tremendous harm to some groups of people.

Alternatively some people might just get into politics for no greater reason than acquiring a sizeable pension and some lucrative speaking gigs.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I'd say this is a common motivator. For some politicians it seems to be the primary motivator.

However, I don't think it's the sole reason people get into politics. I'd say most people have at least a rough idea of how they want society to be and going into politics is one way you can attempt to achieve that vision. That isn't simply a case of acquiring power for its own sake, it implies a desire to change what one sees as problematic and to preserve what one sees as beneficial.

Note that this doesn't mean the politician in question has everybody's best interests at heart. It's entirely possible for somebody's ideal society to entail tremendous harm to some groups of people.

Alternatively some people might just get into politics for no greater reason than acquiring a sizeable pension and some lucrative speaking gigs.
I agree

Another motivation is to become rich and famous

I think another factor is to advance their own sectional interests

One thing's for sure, it's a dirty business that seems to attract scoundrels