• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: being awake or being asleep?

Which is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Which is better?

Being awake or being asleep?

I prefer being asleep

Much more peaceful, no worries, interesting dreams

I don't much like reality so it is nice to be oblivious to it for quite a few hours out of each day
I have episodic dreams, which means that for all intents and purposes I have a fully formed additional life that I live when I'm asleep.

I've asked myself several times if I'm more or less satisfied in my dream life than I am in my waking life, and all in all I think it's pretty much the same.

The landscape in my dream life is definitely more interesting though.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
My dreams can be very troubling, and I've never been a great sleeper, anyway. I've been caregiver to a couple of dying people, and now my life partner who 6 years ago suffered very severe Guillaine-Barre Syndrome, so I'm quite used to being instantly alert at the slightest out sound.

Besides, when I'm awake, I can spend time reading, learning, listening and musing.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
My dreams can be very troubling, and I've never been a great sleeper, anyway. I've been caregiver to a couple of dying people, and now my life partner who 6 years ago suffered very severe Guillaine-Barre Syndrome, so I'm quite used to being instantly alert at the slightest out sound.
I know how that is...

We had a friend stay over a few nights ago. As soon as she got up the stairs to use the bathroom the next morning, and I was instantly up... "Sorry, I'm trained to wake up for foot steps." I startled her, but I can't help it...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What exactly do you mean by that?
It's like different episodes of the same tv show: the setting is the same, I'm pretty sure I'm the same person all the time, but different things happen in every episode.

Not radically different things usually, but just different in about the same way that our waking lives are different each day.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
It's like different episodes of the same tv show: the setting is the same, I'm pretty sure I'm the same person all the time, but different things happen in every episode.

Not radically different things usually, but just different in about the same way that are waking lives are different each day.
I sometimes have them

For the past few years I have been clearing out and doing up a basement that only exists in my dreams

I have made a lot of progress on it and I often return to it when I go to sleep

I like that basement it used to be dark and full of clutter but now it is nice

On one occasion it had a highway running through it though

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
When one gets older I think the likelihood of dreams occurring will probably be less - my experience - such that a good night's sleep is more preferred. And where sleep is essentially not being conscious so much like death. Hence being awake is where much more happens, so why would I ever prefer sleep - even if the waking moments might not be filled with joy and happiness all the time. Such still counts as being alive - but where sleeping tales away from this available time - i.e. being robbed of about one third of our lives. :oops:

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Which is better?

Being awake or being asleep?

I prefer being asleep

Much more peaceful, no worries, interesting dreams

I don't much like reality so it is nice to be oblivious to it for quite a few hours out of each day

Being awake. My dreams are generally tense. Even when nothing in particular happens, I am always feeling out of my comfort zone, having to deal with uncomfortable situations.