• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Practical vs. Impractical Spirituality

Aldrnari

There are some spiritual practices that are generally beneficial no matter who you are, or what your walk in life may be. Yoga comes to mind, and many Heathens I know view self empowerment through exercise and education to not only be an essential aspect of their life, but also as an expression of their faith.

Then, there are spiritual practices that seem to not improve one's own life (at least, not at first glance). High Magick comes to mind for me, as I can't fathom how it's practice does more than to just screw with one's mind (though I will admit that it seems interesting).

Then there are practices that some might find useful, while others would dismiss. Practices such as prayer, working with crystals, runes, etc etc.

For those who have tried different forms of spirituality, what draws you to them? Why do you think it worked, or didn't work for you? Ultimately, what makes a spiritual practice worthwhile, or even worth pursuing in your eyes?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As an irreligious person my spirituality tends to go more towards the lay use of 'spirit', as in 'in good spirit' rather than soul stuff or metaphysical qualities of self. So my spiritual practices are all about promoting physical and psychological well being. I find yoga, meditation, ritualized food practices and getting out into nature very effective to that end. I think it's so effective that it can cross just about every non/belief border.

socharlie

There are some spiritual practices that are generally beneficial no matter who you are, or what your walk in life may be. Yoga comes to mind, and many Heathens I know view self empowerment through exercise and education to not only be an essential aspect of their life, but also as an expression of their faith.

Then, there are spiritual practices that seem to not improve one's own life (at least, not at first glance). High Magick comes to mind for me, as I can't fathom how it's practice does more than to just screw with one's mind (though I will admit that it seems interesting).

Then there are practices that some might find useful, while others would dismiss. Practices such as prayer, working with crystals, runes, etc etc.

For those who have tried different forms of spirituality, what draws you to them? Why do you think it worked, or didn't work for you? Ultimately, what makes a spiritual practice worthwhile, or even worth pursuing in your eyes?
what spirituality means for me is freedom. I know what I am.

Aldrnari

Spirit/Mind is what is. Practical is learning to walk.

I'll disagree with you that they have to be two separate things.

My work can get exhausting, and sometimes I need to stop and clear my mind. Saying a quick mantra (or at least thinking it) not only helps me to focus better on the task at hand, but it also gives me a quick shot of adrenaline as well. I care about doing my job right, and mantras are one spiritual practice that have a very practical application- at least for me.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

Meditation has definitely helped me become a kinder & more compassionate human being.

That's when I remember to actually do it :)

Enjoy your day!

Rational Agnostic

If it makes a person happy, and they don't try to impose it on others, I'm perfectly fine with it.

Rational Agnostic

As an irreligious person my spirituality tends to go more towards the lay use of 'spirit', as in 'in good spirit' rather than soul stuff or metaphysical qualities of self. So my spiritual practices are all about promoting physical and psychological well being. I find yoga, meditation, ritualized food practices and getting out into nature very effective to that end. I think it's so effective that it can cross just about every non/belief border.

What are "ritualized food practices?"

David T

Premium Member

Impractical, it starts with what all the ancient texts work to overcome.
mountain-of-books-clipart-5.jpg

Practical. Follow the trail long enough and the ancient texts are all there, in the landscape, inspiring into text. Go to the source.
2015-09-06_pisgah-mills-river_laurel-mountain-trail-green-moss.jpg

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Magic helped me connect with my family. Mother used to practice it. Her step father. My grandmother in part but she was christian so she didn't call it magic as we use the word these days. That and I didn't know a lot the magic terms we use is European. My family isn't from Europe.

All spiritual practices help if you dont abuse them.