• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Practicing prayer

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If you practice prayer, what is your goal?

To stay in touch with God, ask for advice, guidance, forgiveness, worship.

How do you practice prayer?

Just talking and thinking mentally, some formulaic prayers, Vedic mantras.

When do you practice prayer?

For talking to God, anytime and anyplace. Certain times at home at my shrine for Vedic mantras and prayers.

It is known that a perfect learning is : the learning that brings into action !-
so every deed we do in the physical world and the spiritual world including prayer !
should be aimed to Individualize and bind together the lower world to the upper world and bind everything in light , the focus of the practice is being able to use the "work of faith" in order to Connect yourself to the inside of your soul . to examine your devotion and your ability to be abnegate in God, to be included in the light .
to be abnegate in god means that you can release every wish you have to the hands of god ! Release it and have big faith that god is taking care of it .
then you witness miracles !!!
abnegate in God means bringing yourself into the understanding that all reality as we see it, is all made by the will of the god (thy will be done ) and that even your adhesion to being in faith is the revelation of the will of god.
And that is NOT by forcing a change in nature but by being abnegate in God , then you bring everything in harmony to the source and to the divine root.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I'm the praying type...I've always liked this from "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

Farewell, farewell! but this I tell
To thee, thou Wedding-Guest!
He prayeth well, who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast.

He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth all.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I pray three times a day (at least on most days), and follow a set liturgy with allowances for personal prayers. I do have say that shacharit, said in the morning, is my favorite; I haven't bought tefillin yet, but wrapping my tallit around me and then praying is a very comforting feeling. Most mornings it gives me a high that lasts the rest of the say.

Of course, the harder question is what my goal is. Ultimately, it is to worship God. But some days my focus just isn't there; sometimes I become totally engrossed in the prayer, and other days I just can't keep my mind on task. And other times my mind wanders, and I start thinking about how the specific prayers developed, the poetry involved, or the history of it all.

Levite

Higher and Higher

To praise and thank God, to talk to Him, to introspect, to increase spiritual awareness, to improve spiritual harmony, to increase my connectedness to the Source.

I use the traditional liturgy of the Jewish tradition, and I also write liturgical poems, and I pray spontaneously. I sing my prayer aloud, for the most part, or chant it, chiefly in Hebrew, some in Aramaic, occasionally in Yiddish or Ladino. Sometimes I will meditate before or after praying, using Kabbalistic visualization techniques and certain verses or phrases from Tanach or Rabbinic text as a mantra.

By rights I ought to be praying three times a day. I personally find it difficult to do so, and usually end up praying once or twice a day, save for Shabbat and Festivals, when I find more frequent prayer much easier. And of course I also pray less formally as needed: moments of turmoil, or difficult circumstances, or moments of joy, or circumstances of celebration.

Harmonious

To praise and thank God, to talk to Him, to introspect, to increase spiritual awareness, to improve spiritual harmony, to increase my connectedness to the Source.

I use the traditional liturgy of the Jewish tradition, and I also write liturgical poems, and I pray spontaneously. I sing my prayer aloud, for the most part, or chant it, chiefly in Hebrew, some in Aramaic, occasionally in Yiddish or Ladino. Sometimes I will meditate before or after praying, using Kabbalistic visualization techniques and certain verses or phrases from Tanach or Rabbinic text as a mantra.

By rights I ought to be praying three times a day. I personally find it difficult to do so, and usually end up praying once or twice a day, save for Shabbat and Festivals, when I find more frequent prayer much easier. And of course I also pray less formally as needed: moments of turmoil, or difficult circumstances, or moments of joy, or circumstances of celebration.
Me, too.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
.. I sing my prayer aloud, for the most part, or chant it, chiefly in Hebrew, some in Aramaic, occasionally in Yiddish or Ladino....

Hi Levite,

Thank you for posting this. I was once fortunate enough to spend a week in a rented holiday apartment in a Swiss building that was mostly occupied for the summer by Jewish people. Forgive my ignorance - but I don't know how to describe their appearance properly. The men wore long black coats and a sort of Russian looking fur hat.
In the building there was a prayer room, every evening we could hear the sound of chanted prayer drift up the stairwell. It was one of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard. There was something truly holy about it. Your post brought it to mind. Thank you :)

Levite

Higher and Higher
Hi Levite,

Thank you for posting this. I was once fortunate enough to spend a week in a rented holiday apartment in a Swiss building that was mostly occupied for the summer by Jewish people. Forgive my ignorance - but I don't know how to describe their appearance properly. The men wore long black coats and a sort of Russian looking fur hat.
In the building there was a prayer room, every evening we could hear the sound of chanted prayer drift up the stairwell. It was one of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard. There was something truly holy about it. Your post brought it to mind. Thank you

Ah, those are Hasidim. Long black coats are worn by many Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) Jews, but those fur hats (called streimels, mostly worn on special occasions) are only common to Hasidim.

And while I've been told before by non-Jews that Jewish prayer being chanted is beautiful even to those who don't know the language, I confess I never tire of hearing it! I really do love our prayer. :eek:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I pray five times a day. The goal is mentioned in Fatihah-the first chapter of Quran, a very short chapter consisting of only five short verses; and these are the most oft-repeated verses , several times in our prayer. I give it hereunder:

[1:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[1:2] All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
[1:3] The Gracious, the Merciful,
[1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment.
[1:5] Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
[1:6] Guide us in the right path —
[1:7] The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray.
The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

The goal is to become a good human beings as were all those persons who received good rewards from the one true attributive creator God from amongst all nations and regions of the world in all times.

We can pray together in the mosque jointly while an Imam leads the prayers or if not possible we can pray privately in homes individually; praying in the mosque at the fixed five times is preferred; it helps a social bond.

The timings are Fajar- before sunrise, Zuhar- just after the sun tilts towards West at noon, Asar- about an hour before the sun-set, Maghrab- when the sun-sets, Isha- after about 1 1/2 hour after sunset.