• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Processional/Recessional at Mass- Why?

trinity2359

Hi!

I'm too lazy to research my own question and thought maybe someone here might have an answer.

I was just thinking (scary I know) about the Mass and how biblical it is and stumbled on the processional/recessional part, you know, where the priest/deacon/acolytes (sp) enter/exit the church at Mass. Also how it is considered rude to leave before the priest leaves. Where does this practice come from?

My take is since the priest is essentially a stand-in for Christ we should give him the respect we give Him (thinking of Christ's triumphant entry with palms waving and Hosanas). Granted the priest is not Christ but rather his representative. Am I on the right path here?

TIA

Scott1

I was just thinking (scary I know) about the Mass and how biblical it is and stumbled on the processional/recessional part, you know, where the priest/deacon/acolytes (sp) enter/exit the church at Mass. Also how it is considered rude to leave before the priest leaves. Where does this practice come from?
Although there was considerable liturgical uniformity in the first two centuries there was not absolute uniformity. Liturgical books were certainly being used by the middle of the 4th century, and possibly before the end of the third, but the earliest surviving texts date from the seventh century, and musical notation was not used in the west until the ninth century when the melodies of Gregorian chant were codified.

You can read about the history of the mass here: A Short History of the Roman Mass
The entrance song opens the celebration, intensifies the unity of the gathered people, lead their thoughts to the mystery of the season or feast and accompany the procession of priest and ministers.... or at least it is supposed to.... I'm sure you've noticed that in most Churches, that's the point where people stop chatting with their friends or race in from the car.... :rolleyes:
My take is since the priest is essentially a stand-in for Christ we should give him the respect we give Him (thinking of Christ's triumphant entry with palms waving and Hosanas). Granted the priest is not Christ but rather his representative. Am I on the right path here?
I don't think it is disrespectful to the priest/deacon to leave while the recessional is playing... technically, the Mass ends with the Concluding Rite (Dismissal) so the only people you may offend are people who might be singing or playing the music.

I personally don't consider the priest at all during Mass... he's completely fallible in all respects except for the Epiclesis, so I focus on Christ the whole time.

Peace,
S

Te Deum

Roman Catholic Seminarian

TIA

You are correct that the priest, in the person of Christ, deserves respect. For this reason, I make the sign of the Cross when the priest processes passed me before/during/after Mass in the procession.

For example, in this video of Mass, you can see the Faithful making a Sign of the Cross when the procession begins to walk by them.

A Catholic Life: Video: Tridentine Missa Cantata

Scott1

You are correct that the priest, in the person of Christ, deserves respect. For this reason, I make the sign of the Cross when the priest processes passed me before/during/after Mass in the procession.
You do this to show respect for the priest.... not the Cross of Christ in the procession?

Te Deum

Correction: I was typing too quickly. Sign of the Cross is a sign of respect for the Cross. I bow when the priest passes.

Scott1

Correction: I was typing too quickly. Sign of the Cross is a sign of respect for the Cross. I bow when the priest passes.
Ah, ok... thanks.

Do you bow in respect every time a priest passes you .... or just during the Mass?

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Ah, ok... thanks.

Do you bow in respect every time a priest passes you .... or just during the Mass?

little off topic here but this reminds me of something. After I take communion if I am in a church where the Tabernacle is in the back of the church (don't even get me started on how angry THAT makes me) I always turn around and make the sing of the cross towards the Tabernacle no matter where it is in the church. I also do this when I ginuflect; so if the Taberncale is in the back of the church I turn and bow before it. I think many Catholics think they are bowing to the Cross on the alter, not the Tabernacle.

Scott1

little off topic here but this reminds me of something. After I take communion if I am in a church where the Tabernacle is in the back of the church (don't even get me started on how angry THAT makes me) I always turn around and make the sing of the cross towards the Tabernacle no matter where it is in the church. I also do this when I ginuflect; so if the Taberncale is in the back of the church I turn and bow before it. I think many Catholics think they are bowing to the Cross on the alter, not the Tabernacle.
Just my opinion... but that's a clearly a mistake.... we show a sign of respect to the Tabernacle when the EUCHARIST is there... while you are taking Communion, it is EMPTY.

If the Tabernacle is empty, or if you are not sure if it contains consecrated hosts, reverance towards the ALTAR would be proper, IMO.... maybe Te Deum can help explain why the altar is given such respect.

Peace,
S

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
You know what, right after I typed that I started thinking about it. You're right. I do do it when I ginuflect though.

Scott1

You know what, right after I typed that I started thinking about it. You're right. I do do it when I ginuflect though.
I always wondered about stuff like this.... like when people bow to the altar (like when they go up for a reading) during Mass when the Tabernacle is still full... again... maybe Te Deum can offer some insight.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Well, I believe we are suppose to ginuflect to the Tabernacle. So, when it is not in sight (which again, upsets me) what are we bowing to?

Scott1

Well, I believe we are suppose to ginuflect to the Tabernacle. So, when it is not in sight (which again, upsets me) what are we bowing to?
Well... I guess the altar.... but I've never been to a church that the tabernacle is not clearly in sight... eeesh... that's contrary to the Church directives on this I believe. :eek:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I always thought it was done because the altar is the place where Christ's sacrifice is made present. Sort of like the ground that Moses stepped on in the burning bush. Even after the presence is gone or is not there, it leaves something to awe over.

The more complicated thing is when someone passes between the altar and the tabernacle, such as a deacon or priest going over to read the gospel or deliver the homily.

Te Deum

Ah, ok... thanks.

Only during a liturgical function - Mass, during the Praying of the Divine Office, etc. I also always kneel for the blessings during Mass and at any other time. If a bishop is at Mass, I genuflect as he walks past me.

Te Deum

General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM 2003):

274. A genuflection, made by bending the right knee to the ground, signifies adoration, and therefore it is reserved for the Most Blessed Sacrament, as well as for the Holy Cross from the solemn adoration during the liturgical celebration on Good Friday until the beginning of the Easter Vigil.

275. A bow signifies reverence and honor shown to the persons themselves or to the signs that represent them. There are two kinds of bows: a bow of the head and a bow of the body.

A) A bow of the head is made when the three Divine Persons are named together and at the names of Jesus, of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of the Saint in whose honor Mass is being celebrated.
B) A bow of the body, that is to say a profound bow, is made to the altar; during the prayers Munda cor meum (Almighty God, cleanse my heart) and In spiritu humilitatis (Lord God, we ask you to receive); in the Creed at the words Et incarnatus est (by the power of the Holy Spirit . . . made man); in the Roman Canon at the words Supplices te rogamus (Almighty God, we pray that your angel). The same kind of bow is made by the deacon when he asks for a blessing before the proclamation of the Gospel. In addition, the priest bows slightly as he speaks the words of the Lord at the consecration.

Also, please remember to genuflect by touching both knees to the ground before entering the pew when the Holy Eucharistic is visible on the altar in Adoration. This will also occur if you arrive at Mass after the Consecration. In these two cases touch both knees to the ground, make the sign of the Cross, and bow.