• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psyched by Trump

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I'm betting the repeated taunts by Donald Trump made the Biden debate team coach Pres. Biden to be calm and cool at the debate. I'll bet they didn't mic-check Biden before the debate. I couldn't hear him, in particular, at the beginning of the debate. Some assistant probably did the mic-check.

At many rallies, Trump kept ranting about Biden will be all juiced up just like at the State of the Union address. Trump said Biden will be on drugs for the debate. I think the Biden team out-smarted themselves. President Biden was weighed down with too much information. Biden won't throw his team under the bus and blame the team for his poor showing. Trump needs very little prep time for debates. He needs no help whatsoever to lie his way through any debate, interview, or press conference. .......I don't think there is a workable plan B....Time for Joe to get his FOUR MORE..!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm betting the repeated taunts by Donald Trump made the Biden debate team coach Pres. Biden to be calm and cool at the debate. I'll bet they didn't mic-check Biden before the debate. I couldn't hear him, in particular, at the beginning of the debate. Some assistant probably did the mic-check.

At many rallies, Trump kept ranting about Biden will be all juiced up just like at the State of the Union address. Trump said Biden will be on drugs for the debate. I think the Biden team out-smarted themselves. President Biden was weighed down with too much information. Biden won't throw his team under the bus and blame the team for his poor showing. Trump needs very little prep time for debates. He needs no help whatsoever to lie his way through any debate, interview, or press conference. .......I don't think there is a workable plan B....Time for Joe to get his FOUR MORE..!
There's something to what you say, and also something against.

In my view, Biden was "over-coached." He was burdened with too many facts, too much information. Data gets in the way of immediacy of response. I don't think the mic was the problem -- we heard him later in the debate. He was genuinely hoarse, and at some moments genuinely confused and unable to articulate.

When I say he was "over-coached," I honestly think that contributed to what I saw as an amygdala hijack -- when panic overtakes the amygdala in his brain,, and it takes precedence over the pre-frontal cortex, where reason is processed. That is a fault of his team -- and he should replace them (as Obama did, after he too had a very bad debate experience). That's not throwing them under the bus, but if they can't do the job, then it's time to go.

And in the end, as I've said before, it is very, very difficult to take down someone in a debate who constantly lies. What do you do? Say, "you're lying?" To say that, you have to give evidence, and you have to do it in the moment. I'm reminded of the old Groucho Marx question: "do you still beat your wife?" Wouldn't that stop you? What do you say in that moment that doesn't make you look guilty?

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member

In my view, Biden was "over-coached." He was burdened with too many facts, too much information. Data gets in the way of immediacy of response. I don't think the mic was the problem -- we heard him later in the debate. He was genuinely hoarse, and at some moments genuinely confused and unable to articulate.

When I say he was "over-coached," I honestly think that contributed to what I saw as an amygdala hijack -- when panic overtakes the amygdala in his brain,, and it takes precedence over the pre-frontal cortex, where reason is processed. That is a fault of his team -- and he should replace them (as Obama did, after he too had a very bad debate experience). That's not throwing them under the bus, but if they can't do the job, then it's time to go.

And in the end, as I've said before, it is very, very difficult to take down someone in a debate who constantly lies. What do you do? Say, "you're lying?" To say that, you have to give evidence, and you have to do it in the moment. I'm reminded of the old Groucho Marx question: "do you still beat your wife?" Wouldn't that stop you? What do you say in that moment that doesn't make you look guilty?
I can accept your analysis of the Biden - Trump debate without any disagreement. I also understand replacing the debate team. When I used the phrase, "Won't throw them under the bus ", I meant Biden would not publicly ridicule his team, unlike his debate opponent who often publicly blames failures on his subordinates.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Ronald Reagan made good use of the phrase, "There he goes again!" when he wanted to imply his opponent was making falsehoods...but was really just stating a different point of view. Biden could have/should have used it in every response he gave.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Ronald Reagan made good use of the phrase, "There he goes again!" when he wanted to imply his opponent was making falsehoods...but was really just stating a different point of view. Biden could have/should have used it in every response he gave.
I don't disagree with you, there's much that Biden "could have/should have" done. But he didn't. As I've said, I think that he was seriously over-prepped, which is a real danger, and I can testify for that myself. I also think that, combined with his cold and his own life-long speech impediment (mostly under control) combined to overwhelm his amygdala, which is not only responsible control of emotion and behaviour, but also memory function AND manages the processing of information between prefrontal-temporal association cortices and the hypothalamus. Thus, I think that he underwent a series of "amygdala hijacks." These have happened to me (they happen to most of us, at one time or another -- you'll know when somebody turns red and says "I...I....I....I" and can't seem to get any further).

Thus, while I might say there are things he "should have" done, I don't there were always times when he "could have."

Ebionite

You drill for more information rather than defending - "why do you think that I have ever beaten my wife?"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You drill for more information rather than defending - "why do you think that I have ever beaten my wife?"
And any Trump-like responder would have zero difficulty responding, "we've all heard the rumours, haven't we?" And his supporters will be more than satisfied. And if you think insisting he then say where he heard such rumours, you don't understand the dynamics of a live debate.

Ebionite

And any Trump-like responder would have zero difficulty responding, "we've all heard the rumours, haven't we?" And his supporters will be more than satisfied. And if you think insisting he then say where he heard such rumours, you don't understand the dynamics of a live debate.
That one is easy to deny - in this example I haven't heard the rumours. The dynamics of a live debate are much the same as in a live argument. If you can keep it simple then it becomes obvious that your opponent is either repeating hearsay or is making **** up on the fly.

wellwisher

One problem for Biden was the debate format. It was done in isolation and in a sterile way, to give what was thought be a disadvantage to Trump. Trump has a tendency to speak off the cuff, out of turn, and even engage the crowd. Biden has been kept in isolation, behind a firewall, and this format may have been felt was more conducive to Biden.

But that format backfired and made Biden look confused with nobody sympathetic to look at in an audience, to help him relax. A trick of public speaking is to speak to someone in the crowd. Trump knows how to work the camera in a studio situation, being a former TV celebrity. When Biden was speaking, Trump's facial expressions looked like a fair person who was engaged. Biden would drift off, listening, but with nobody to look at, to smile and wink, he appeared confused and not someone focusing on his opponents words and audience reaction. The DNC should have done more camera practice in the mirror.

Then again, the DNC strategy is all negativity against Trump. While Trump presents a vision of hope and change; successful past, and was able to bring up the all things the DNC wished to avoid. The DNC does not wish to discuss immigration, for example, since that went to crap and there cannot hide how it still impacts voters, even in Democrat run cities like NYC. Inflation is not bad, if you are rich and upper class, due to the stock market. But the classic DNC base of the working lower and middle class is still reeling, because of a vengeful partisan energy policy that took sides to benefit the rich.

The poor and lower middle class have to pay an extra fee on their electric bills to supplement electric cars and charging station, which they cannot afford, even they want them. While their used gas car and gas stove is a target. It is double stab in the back from the party, they used to trust. At least Trump believes in all forms of energy, including the default of the poor and lower middle class; cheaper fossil fuel plus alternate energy sources that work for the rich. Even the Kangaroo Court the DNC has set up, which is falling apart, is obvious to any person from both sides. It makes the black man empathize with Trump, since they used to be the victims of that same tactic during segregation; DEI=KKK 2.0. It is more diverse KKK but still designed for injustice and corruption, now destroying iconic working class brands like Bud Light and Disney.