• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose of life in Your religion

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
To experience and grow as an individual.

To try and leave the world at least a little better than it was when I arrived.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I regard the "purpose" of all things to do what they must, by virtue of their intrinsic nature (or spirit/essence/soul if you want to put those words to it). Perhaps in a fashion, this is similar to the concept of dharma, but I am not familiar enough with that idea to say if the comparison holds well. Any thoughts from those who know more about dharma than I do?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To try and leave the world at least a little better than it was when I arrived.

I often think similarly. As a Hindu, I just think it's fine if I've moved ahead one inch on the path. I just don't want to go backward, or stall. Just so long as 'it' keeps moving ahead in some way.

But our belief in reincarnation ties into this. If we (Hindus) didn't believe we had more chances, the purpose may well be substantially different.

Last edited:

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I don't believe there is any real purpose, it just does what it does. Energy is neither created, nor destroyed, it only changes form. Is there any real purpose to this change? Is there any real purpose to life? No, it just is what it is and does what it does.

Like that phrase.... "Do without doing and everything gets done."

---

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I don't believe there is any real purpose, it just does what it does. Energy is neither created, nor destroyed, it only changes form. Is there any real purpose to this change? Is there any real purpose to life? No, it just is what it is and does what it does.

Like that phrase.... "Do without doing and everything gets done."

---

Doesn't make sense.as if you are talking about chaos.

I may agree with you if i can see the world unstable.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Doesn't make sense.as if you are talking about chaos.

I may agree with you if i can see the world unstable.

Basically, from a physical standpoint everything that exists, all matter, is unstable. Whether we like it or not, everything changes and we can do nothing to stop it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've found it's usually best to find purposes in life that accord with your nature. I also believe those purposes need to allow for one to exercise social and environmental responsibility in fulfilling them. It seems to me that happiness most often lies in purposes that come natural to us and which we can pursue responsibly.

Kalidas

Well in the orginal thread I placed i. the Hindu DIR I said the purpose of life is to live.

As in I don't believe in an instrinsic purpose. Life is created and really has no purpose for its being created. I DO believe there is a GOAL but a goal is not the same as a purpose. Much like a marathon to reach the end of the race is the goal, but that is not the purpose.

So life has a goal that it is constantly moving towards, but the purpose is something discovered along the way. That purpose will never be found nor fulfilled if one does not live, so life must live...

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Basically, from a physical standpoint everything that exists, all matter, is unstable. Whether we like it or not, everything changes and we can do nothing to stop it.

How not stable ?

i can see the sun rising every morning and set every night
i can see the moon and stars every night
i can see the same seas,the same mountains
the same air that i breathe and the same water that i drink.
I don't know what you mean that the world is unstable.
Do you mean politics and social life ..etc ?

Last edited:

Sabour

Thread started ... feel free to post away. :)

Hello.

The purpose of life is to believe in God an worship Him only so that we can work by his commandments. We also need to have good deeds. We are being watched all the time.

This is the test given for us to go to heaven. :)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The purpose of life in my worldview is to maintain or achieve well-being for sentient creatures, especially humans, in any ways I can while also maintaining and protecting the environment as much as possible.

to do my best to do God's will... if one cherishes the relationships with God he is afraid to lose them. moreover each day you find positive sides of your personality ,getting better day after day.
in my country people say: "hope dies the last". but there is a hope which will never perish-there is nothing better than to have excellent future on earth .

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
How not stable ?

i can the sun rising every morning and set every night
i can see the moon and stars every night
i can see the same seas,the same mountains
the same air that i breathe and the same water that i drink.
I don't know what you mean that the world is unstable.
Do you mean politics and social life ..etc ?

Unstable as in constantly changing. The changes may be great or they may be subtle, but with every passing moment everything changes in some way shape or form. The Sun you seen yesterday is not exactly the same as you see it today. There are changes which are so subtle that our brains do not even recognize them as changes. There are some things which take long periods of time to show any noticeable change, but they do in fact change. Nothing is permanent. Is it possible within our short lifespan to notice the changes which take place that cause a mountain grow into a mountain? We are for the most part oblivious to this change, but we do know it happens. Change isn't necessarily chaotic, but it is continual.

---

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
No reason for being here, just a rhyme. But certainly it is an enjoyable experience (to most), with or without out a purpose.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Unstable as in constantly changing. The changes may be great or they may be subtle, but with every passing moment everything changes in some way shape or form. The Sun you seen yesterday is not exactly the same as you see it today. There are changes which are so subtle that our brains do not even recognize them as changes. There are some things which take long periods of time to show any noticeable change, but they do in fact change. Nothing is permanent. Is it possible within our short lifespan to notice the changes which take place that cause a mountain grow into a mountain? We are for the most part oblivious to this change, but we do know it happens. Change isn't necessarily chaotic, but it is continual.

---

It doesn't make sense to think for a second that the universe works arbitrary, without any prior plan and design.

Because only we don't know,then the easy answer is "it built itself"

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
It doesn't make sense to think for a second that the universe works arbitrary, without any prior plan and design.

Because only we don't know,then the easy answer is "it built itself"

Sure it does. It makes perfect sense. No need for a God. Imperfection, chaos, change, and instability...all those things people view as "bad" are what brought us to where we are now.