• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose of life in Your religion

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Religion is interesting to learn about and understand, but it has no purpose in my life. Relationship with God on the other hand is very important to me and I see it as a necessity to be in relationship with my Creator. In my perspective religion and relationship are diametrically opposed.

How are you defining "religion"? Do you think Jesus directed his followers to just do their "own thing" based on their own intuitions? Where did your information dealing with Jesus come from? If it's from the Bible, how do you think the Bible got compiled?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
How are you defining "religion"? Do you think Jesus directed his followers to just do their "own thing" based on their own intuitions? Where did your information dealing with Jesus come from? If it's from the Bible, how do you think the Bible got compiled?

Actually, she's right. 'Religion' is not what Xians follow.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Actually, she's right. 'Religion' is not what Xians follow.

Of course they follow a religion. I'm tired of some people playing semantic games. Christianity IS a religion. That "it's not a religion, it's a relationship" nonsense can be saved for those more gullible.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Of course they follow a religion. I'm tired of some people playing semantic games. Christianity IS a religion. That "it's not a religion, it's a relationship" nonsense can be saved for those more gullible.

I didn't say Xianity can't be classed as 'religion'.

I said, 'religion' is not what Xians follow.
The fact that you seem to have no clue about this leads me to believe you actually don't have an informed opinion on it.
but, off topic..
cheers

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

The fact that you seem to have no clue about this leads me to believe you actually don't have an informed opinion on it.
but, off topic..
cheers

Actually they do but many just don't realize it.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

but, off topic..
cheers

Yes, accuse a person of ignorance when you're the one with nothing to add. Makes sense. :facepalm:

Kalidas

Well, anyways, go to the Xian DIR and ask if you really care about the Xian viewpoint.

I can't imagine that asking Christians "Hey is this a religion or a relationship" causing an argument and in turn breaking the rules of the forum. Nope it would all go over perfectly well with no negative consequences...

Sorry I forgot to turn my sarcasm off.

arthra

Baha'i
Thread started ... feel free to post away. :)

The purpose of life I feel is addressed at least for me in the obligatory prayer that we Baha'is can recite daily... It is known as the "Short Obligatory Prayer" and is recited after ablutions while facing Bahji in the Holy Land as follows:

"I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth."

"There is none other God but Thee, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting."

See:

Short Obligatory Prayer

"I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee."

So the above words summarize for me the purpose of life.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
The purpose of life I feel is addressed at least for me in the obligatory prayer that we Baha'is can recite daily... It is known as the "Short Obligatory Prayer" and is recited after ablutions while facing Bahji in the Holy Land as follows:

"I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth."

"There is none other God but Thee, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting."

See:

Short Obligatory Prayer

"I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee."

So the above words summarize for me the purpose of life.

Just to know and witness God.
Doesn't make sense

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Thread started ... feel free to post away. :)

My understanding according to the bible is that we have been created to be earths caretakers as members of Gods universal family.

As caretakers, we are tasked with caring for Jehovah's animal creation, and cultivating the ground to create an earthly paradise under his direction. He gave Adam and Eve (our first parents) the blue print for how he wanted the earth to be cultivated when he established the Garden of Eden.

One day, all those who desire such a purpose will all be working toward that goal.

Kalidas

My understanding according to the bible is that we have been created to be earths caretakers as members of Gods universal family.

As caretakers, we are tasked with caring for Jehovah's animal creation, and cultivating the ground to create an earthly paradise under his direction. He gave Adam and Eve (our first parents) the blue print for how he wanted the earth to be cultivated when he established the Garden of Eden.

One day, all those who desire such a purpose will all be working toward that goal.

Doesn't seem to be going well...