• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose of life in Your religion

Straw Dog

The more objective end of mind tends to think that life is work. We are useful for transforming energy in novel ways and preventing a vacuum. It doesn't ultimately matter what we do because to be is to do. We may favor certain actions of a humanistic variety, but any action is what really matters moreso than any purpose attributed to it. It may be a matter of the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long and the one that burns half as bright burns twice as long. Either way, energy is being transformed.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yeah it's a nice sentiment but old Jehovah apparently really miscalculated how bad a steward humanity would prove to be. Cruel, selfish, warlike, exploitative....I could go on and on.:rolleyes:

we chose independence and self rule.

It was man who turned his back on God, not the other way around.

But all is not lost. Not all of us have turned our back on God and there have been many people throughout all human history who have chosen to remain with God even though the world has not.

Very soon God will take back the reigns and those who wish to come under his governance will have that opportunity. And those who still dont will not have to either.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
we chose independence and self rule.

It was man who turned his back on God, not the other way around.

But all is not lost. Not all of us have turned our back on God and there have been many people throughout all human history who have chosen to remain with God even though the world has not.

Very soon God will take back the reigns and those who wish to come under his governance will have that opportunity. And those who still dont will not have to either.

So if you have not turned your back on God, then why is God still "punishing" you with all the same things the rest of us humans deal with? Death, pain, toil, and taxes... Seems to me that in some way, you are obviously still a sinner and you have not been forgiven.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So if you have not turned your back on God, then why is God still "punishing" you with all the same things the rest of us humans deal with? Death, pain, toil, and taxes... Seems to me that in some way, you are obviously still a sinner and you have not been forgiven.

God doesnt punish us. I think you view the consequences we are experiencing as punishment from God, is that correct?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
God doesnt punish us. I think you view the consequences we are experiencing as punishment from God, is that correct?

Well, according to the Book of Genesis, isn't this the case?

Genesis...

16 To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”
17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Well, according to the Book of Genesis, isn't this the case?

Genesis...

16 To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”
17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

i can see how this translation could appear to sound as if God is metting out a punishment.

but the fact is that in the hebrew language, if God allows something to happen, it is written that he makes it happen....which in turn is translated into english that he himself causes it.

But the original hebrew doesnt mean that he 'causes' it. What it means is that he 'allows' it. And so our understanding of genesis is that God allows the bad consequences of rebellion to befall mankind.

And this is why its perfectly sound reasoning that if mankind returned to him, we can be alleviated of the bad consequences that we currently experience.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
i can see how this translation could appear to sound as if God is metting out a punishment.

but the fact is that in the hebrew language, if God allows something to happen, it is written that he makes it happen....which in turn is translated into english that he himself causes it.

But the original hebrew doesnt mean that he 'causes' it. What it means is that he 'allows' it. And so our understanding of genesis is that God allows the bad consequences of rebellion to befall mankind.

And this is why its perfectly sound reasoning that if mankind returned to him, we can be alleviated of the bad consequences that we currently experience.

Interesting perspective. Why so then did God create faulty humans? Why are animals, which God apparently "designed" perfectly the way he wanted, subject to the same bad consequences of rebellion? Animals never rebelled against God, but yet he allows them to suffer as well. Just find it kinda odd...

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Why do people care so much about the Abrahamic religions if they don't like them?

Yeah, it isn't for you, move on.

Probably because a vast majority of the planet follows one of them. We have to live with you. Makes sense to understand each other, don't you think? Its unfortunate the feeling isn't typically mutual. Case in point.

kashmir

I would say the purpose was to love each other and help each other, but there was a guy with the same ideas and they killed him.

My purpose?
To be in the world but not of the world because it seems corrupt beyond repair at this point in time.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Interesting perspective. Why so then did God create faulty humans?

they weren't created with any faults. They were perfect but their perfection depended on them.

When they sinned, it damaged them genetically so that all their offspring inherited a damaged genes. When they began to die, their cells were dying and the children they brought forth were born dying.

What we need is to be repaired... and that is what God is going to do.
Revelation 22:1 And he showed me a river of water of life, clear as crystal, flowing out from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of its broad way. And on this side of the river and on that side [there were] trees of life producing twelve crops of fruit, yielding their fruits each month. And the leaves of the trees [were] for the curing of the nations

Why are animals, which God apparently "designed" perfectly the way he wanted, subject to the same bad consequences of rebellion?

animals were not created to live forever...they were created to live under the governance of mankind. How we treat them is not Gods fault, its ours.

arcanum

they weren't created with any faults. They were perfect but their perfection depended on them.

When they sinned, it damaged them genetically so that all their offspring inherited a damaged genes. When they began to die, their cells were dying and the children they brought forth were born dying.

What we need is to be repaired... and that is what God is going to do.
Revelation 22:1 And he showed me a river of water of life, clear as crystal, flowing out from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of its broad way. And on this side of the river and on that side [there were] trees of life producing twelve crops of fruit, yielding their fruits each month. And the leaves of the trees [were] for the curing of the nations

animals were not created to live forever...they were created to live under the governance of mankind. How we treat them is not Gods fault, its ours.
It would seem the jw' s have a crafted explanation for everything, is it ok to once in a while say, hmm I really don't know? Does your organization really think it has all the answers when it comes to the mysteries of God?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

OK, so please tell me what exactly a two-year old child did so wrong whereas God is supposedly punishing her with brain cancer? This is real as a close friend of our's daughter just got diagnosed as such two weeks ago.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
My purpose?
To be in the world but not of the world because it seems corrupt beyond repair at this point in time.

I feel like you'll be in for a few disappointments. How can you possibly be not of this world while being a part of it. Simply by existing you have an effect on the world, and the world has an effect on you

kashmir

I feel like you'll be in for a few disappointments. How can you possibly be not of this world while being a part of it. Simply by existing you have an effect on the world, and the world has an effect on you

I can only assume you do not understand the saying and what it means.