• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Putting God Ahead Of Humanity Is A Terrible Thing."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"Putting God ahead of humanity is a terrible thing." - Stephen Weinberg.

Do you agree or disagree with Weinberg? Why?

Evandr

Stripling Warrior

I would agree except for my belief that the two are inseparable, If you put God first you will treat humanity with the respect it deserves; giving humanity the respect it deserves means giving it what God would have you give it, for it is God's creation; thusly you would be putting humanity first by which you are respecting the Laws of God and thusly you are also putting God first and the whole cycle repeats. ;)

GayAtheist

Putting "God" ahead of humanity is why there have been so many problems in the past. Its why religion is no longer respected. Humanity is the most important thing. We know that humanity exists. We don't about the bigotted, bi-polar sky fairy that some people worship.

Some of the nicest people I have met, who are the most compassionate, altruistic characters not only don't believe in "god", but reject the idea of it completely. As do I.

Those who believe in these religions and these fictional characters generally have some sort of selfish agenda. They like to use religion to validate their own prejudices against certain members of society.

Francine

God is already ahead of humanity. And if we "put humanity ahead of God" that a little like putting a flea in charge of an elephant.

Draka

Wonder Woman

Agree.

Putting personal beliefs in an unprovable entity ahead of humanity is selfish. Your belief in a deity should prompt you to help others first...worship second. For that, I believe, would be what a truly benevolent god would want anyway. Take care of each other first. God will still be there when you get home.

Popeyesays

The prophets of God have founded the laws of divine civilization. They have been the root and fundamental source of all knowledge. They have established the principles of human brotherhood or fraternity which is of various kinds, such as the fraternity of family, of race, of nation and of ethical motives. These forms of fraternity, these bonds of brotherhood are merely temporal and transient in association. They do not insure harmony and are usually productive of disagreement. They do not prevent warfare and strife; on the contrary they are selfish, restricted and fruitful causes of enmity and hatred among mankind. The spiritual brotherhood which is enkindled and established through the breaths of the Holy Spirit unites nations and removes the cause of warfare and strife. It transforms mankind into one great family and establishes the foundations of the oneness of humanity.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 227)

Regards,

Scott

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da

Agree, putting any God ahead of your fellow man and woman is a terrible thing. The Gods are big kids they don't need us, we need us to help each other.

Popeyesays

No, that's putting clergy ahead of humanity, because there always has to be someone who speaks for God.

Jesus spoke for God. That does not mean a priest or clergyman of Jesus is speaking for God.

Moses spoke for God, but the Aaronic priesthood did not necessarily speak for God.

Muhammed spoke for God, Muhammed gave authority to Ali to speak for God, but the Imamate was temporary.

Baha`u'llah spoke for God, appointed an Interpreter of the Word, but that institution of interpretation was temporary. We do not have a clergy, the authority of clergy was removed by the revelation given Baha`u'llah.

Regards,
Scott

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Jesus put humanity before God.

How so, I thought Jesus came to earth to do the father's will.

Famous words of Jesus,"Nevertheless not my will but thy will be done"
Mar 8:33But when He had turned around and looked at His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying, Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."