• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Buddhism

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So if one does not believe in a deity, what is it exactly that takes place during meditation that causes enlightenment and Awakening?

I was just wondering what it is about meditation that produces these results, if there's not another entity involved.
meditation-1791113_960_720.jpg

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So if one does not believe in a deity, what is it exactly that takes place during meditation that causes enlightenment and Awakening?

I was just wondering what it is about meditation that produces these results, if there's not another entity involved.
View attachment 19082
Through practice one eliminates false perceptions and gets a clear view of reality and oneself.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Through practice one eliminates false perceptions and gets a clear view of reality and oneself.
Now Buddha starved himself a lot and practiced severe asceticism... What is it about those practices that increases the opportunities for enlightenment?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Agreed. There is no magic formula. It's more like physical exercise, really. If anything, you learn to focus on what you see rather than what you expect to see.

Sanzbir

Now Buddha starved himself a lot and practiced severe asceticism... What is it about those practices that increases the opportunities for enlightenment?

Gautama Buddha only did that at first, before his enlightenment, but later rejected severe fasting and the like in favor of a "Middle Way".

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
He categorically stated that both extreme privation as well as luxury is a hindrance to Buddhist path. He found practice of starvation and severe asceticism as counterproductive.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

View attachment 19082
You become your own coach, your own psychologist, and your own healer.
from Dhammapada 3

42. Whatever harm an enemy may do to an enemy, or a hater to a hater, an ill-directed mind inflicts on oneself a greater harm.

43. Neither mother, father, nor any other relative can do one greater good than one's own well-directed mind.​

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

The same that happens if one beliefs in a deity, I would expect: training of the mind for various effects, starting with the ability to keep both attention and peace of mind at once. Another popular effect is the ability to keep aware of the reality and dignity of other people's feelings and situations.

I very much doubt it. Then again, Buddhism does not really acknowledge the existence of separate entities as such.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Now Buddha starved himself a lot and practiced severe asceticism...

And then he realized that such was not the way and began to develop his Dharma. It is a classic tale.

What is it about those practices that increases the opportunities for enlightenment?
You should probably ask someone who encourages ascepticism. Buddhism does not.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
And then he realized that such was not the way and began to develop his Dharma. It is a classic tale.

You should probably ask someone who encourages ascepticism. Buddhism does not.
At the time of his Enlightenment wasn't he nearly starved to death, according to tradition?

If so, it makes me wonder if maybe the fact that he was starving contributed to his Awakening.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
At the time of his Enlightenment wasn't he nearly starved to death, according to tradition?

So the tale goes. He had received gentle attention and some food from a lady and realized that starving was not the way. Or, at least, not his way.

If so, it makes me wonder if maybe the fact that he was starving contributed to his Awakening.

Considering that he taught against doing it, apparently not.

Sanzbir

Considering that he taught against doing it, apparently not.

Well, I mean, in a sense he might not have come to the conclusion of the Middle Way had he not experienced both extremes firsthand.

So by allowing him to realize aesthetic life was not the path to enlightenment, in that way aesthetic living led him to enlightenment.

Mark Dohle

I was just wondering what it is about meditation that produces these results if there's not another entity involved.
View attachment 19082
The Buddha did not deal with the question about God, or gods. I do not believe Buddhism is 'atheistic', in the western sense of the term. They do have the concept of communion with and having compassion for all sentients beings. Also, the 'no self' they talk about is not nihilism, but a place where all passions are blown out, all false self-identification dissolved until what is left is 'nirvana, bliss'. If Buddhism was a religion striving for nonexitence in the western sense of the term, then all they would need do is to kill oneself.

Whatever reincarnates, is a continuation of a process, the no-self, is something real for them, like saying God is 'no-thing', points to Infinite potential.

However, being a Westerner and a Christian, I am sure I miss a lot and could be wrong (well I probably am) in my thoughts on the matter. I love to read Buddhist writers, they help in dealing with thoughts that just ramble, they help me to learn how to unknot.......For me, Buddhism is a help in growing in understanding of my own faith path. I do believe we are closer than we believe, especially in seeking to have compassion for all sentient beings.

Peace
Mark

MonkeyFire

There are entities in Buddhism called devas, and a devil of rebirth and desire named Yama. The point of meditation is happiness.