• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Catholics on ordination

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It is not my intent here to create a big argument. I'm just interested in what your answers might be. I probably won't reply much except to seek clarification.

The Catholic Church does not currently ordain women. When I looked into this, the argument seems to be that Jesus and his 12 disciples were all men, so your church needs men to be priests, since they will be representing Jesus behind the altar.

If a priest needs to be superficially LIKE Jesus in order to represent him behind the altar, then why do you guys not also insist on only ordaining Jews and carpenters?

If you want someone who is LIKE Jesus in a significant way, why don't you only have priests who have the virtues that Jesus had? For example, if a priest has committed a crime or are shown to harass those who work for them, why are they not immediately defrocked?

It just seems to me that one of two things is going on here. Either I am missing something that would make sense of the requirement of a superficial trait, but allow those who are not a match where it counts. OR, the Catholic church is being irrational about this.

So explain this to me. What is it you think I'm missing?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Taking in persona Christi too literally in regards to sex always came off as a rather illogical and weak argument against female ordination even I was a Catholic.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you want someone who is LIKE Jesus in a significant way, why don't you only have priests who have the virtues that Jesus had? For example, if a priest has committed a crime or are shown to harass those who work for them, why are they not immediately defrocked?
There's two sides to this:

The Sacrament of Holy Orders can't be undone; in the eyes of the Church, once a priest always a priest, and a priest's ability to perform sacraments is a reflection of Christ's character, not the priest's.

This is a pretty long-standing position. During Diocletian's persecution of Christians, some Christians, including some priests and bishops, cooperated with the Roman authorities. This was seen by some, including a bishop named Donatus, to have been so heinous that it undid whatever sacraments the traitors had previously received: if they wanted to be readmitted to the Christian community, they'd need to get rebaptized and (for clergy) re-receive the Sacrament of Holy Orders. He even argued that the ordination of some priests was invalid because they had been ordained by traitorous bishops.

The final decision of the Catholic Church on the issue was that Donatus was wrong and that "Donatism" was a heresy.

... so in the eyes of the Church, a priest is still a priest regardless of what they do.

OTOH, administratively, a priest can get reassigned or fired for bad behaviour. That being said, their tolerance for bad behaviour has been shown to be pretty high.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Catholic Church does not currently ordain women. When I looked into this, the argument seems to be that Jesus and his 12 disciples were all men, so your church needs men to be priests, since they will be representing Jesus behind the altar.

If a priest needs to be superficially LIKE Jesus in order to represent him behind the altar, then why do you guys not also insist on only ordaining Jews and carpenters?

From what I understand, the issue is tied to marriage: the Church - i.e. the laity - is the "Bride of Christ" and Christ is the "bridegroom."

The argument I've heard is that since the priest stands in for Christ - the bridegroom - during the sacraments, the priest must be capable of being a bridegroom... IOW, must be male.

However, they don't prohibit men from being part of the laity - i.e. the "bride of Christ" - so either there's a limit to how far the argument goes or the Catholic Church is implicitly okay with (male) same-sex marriage.

IndigoChild5559

There's two sides to this:

The Sacrament of Holy Orders can't be undone; in the eyes of the Church, once a priest always a priest, and a priest's ability to perform sacraments is a reflection of Christ's character, not the priest's.
The Catholic church DOES indeed have a procedure to laicize a priest.

Grounds for laicization include:
  1. Grave Misconduct (e.g., sexual abuse, financial corruption).
  2. Violation of Celibacy (e.g., marriage or cohabitation).
  3. Apostasy or Heresy (e.g., renouncing the faith).
  4. Grave Scandal (e.g., behavior causing severe public harm to the Church's reputation).

My question, if I could rephrase it, is since the Church allows for laicization, why does it almost never do this?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Catholic church DOES indeed have a procedure to laicize a priest.

Grounds for laicization include:
  1. Grave Misconduct (e.g., sexual abuse, financial corruption).
  2. Violation of Celibacy (e.g., marriage or cohabitation).
  3. Apostasy or Heresy (e.g., renouncing the faith).
  4. Grave Scandal (e.g., behavior causing severe public harm to the Church's reputation).

This is a matter of the difference between validity and licitness: a laicized priest is still a priest (i.e. any sacraments they perform would be valid) but isn't permitted to act as a priest (i.e. any sacraments they perform would be illicit).

My question, if I could rephrase it, is since the Church allows for laicization, why does it almost never do this?

Because the Catholic Church experiences very little external accountability.

IndigoChild5559

This is a matter of the difference between validity and licitness: a laicized priest is still a priest (i.e. any sacraments they perform would be valid) but isn't permitted to act as a priest (i.e. any sacraments they perform would be illicit).
I think we are quibbling over semantics. I don't care if anyone says they are still ordained. I only care that they are not being removed from their positions after committing offenses, and just continue harming people.
Because the Catholic Church experiences very little external accountability.
Thank you for the honesty.