• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question, question, question...

gnostic

The Lost One
Does being an agnostic feel like you're sitting on a fence? Or that you're trying juggle and understand your relationship between theism and atheism, like being on a seesaw? :seesaw:

Which one do you find more frustrating? :banghead3 Religion? Or atheism? If religion, which one trouble you the most? :(

Or do you don't trouble yourself with religion? :)

Truls

Thinker
I personally lean toward the atheist side. Really religious theologians bother me. Their faith in ridiculous fairy tales like Noah's Ark baffle me and frustrate me. I personally don't see myself moving that way. On the other hand atheists seem to be the opposite extreme. I don't think of Agnosticism as a teeter totter I think of it as the middle ground between two extremes. All things in moderation

gnostic

The Lost One
I seemed to lean more to the atheist side as well, but I find religion much more fascinating.

However, I do find religion also frustrating, not because what they believe, but when religious people trying to impose their religion upon us. Trying to push Creationism into science classrooms. Or getting into politics, and imposing their morality upon us, by trying to ban this or that.

Atheism would be frustrating too if they trying to ban religion, like they did in China and the former Soviet Union. I believed everyone are entitled to their belief,
even if I don't agree or like them.

Moderation should rule.

KingNothing

Are you trying to call us flip-floppers. lol.

I believe all theists are wrong. I do not know if atheists are right or not. Ithink that summarizes many agnostics position pretty well.

I understand the theists' need to believe. I wish atheists would try to understand that need instead of shouting at the theist.

I get the feeling many think of agnosticism as a weak position. A cop-out if you will. In my opinion any other position is just ridiculous. No one is qualified to give an accurate and complete explanation of God or the Universe.

gnostic

The Lost One
Gnostic, I just noticed your religion is listed as gnostic agnostic. What do you mean by that?
Originally, before I came to RF, I was in islam.com's forums. I wanted to use agnostic, which is what I am, but someone was already using that name. So I decided to call myself gnostic.

When I came here (RF), I decided to continue to use the name gnostic, but I had originally listed my religion to be humanist agnostic, but I had recently changed it to gnostic agnostic.

I am a flip-flopper. I like being an enigma; a paradox. It appeared to my sense of humour.

You know how the theists joke that agnostics know nothing. And in reality gnosticism, particularly gnosis, is about knowledge and wisdom, which is exact opposite to agnosticism. Well, I see a lot of wisdom in agnostic's stance that existence of divine is "unknowable". The "gnostic agnostic" is sort of like saying - "wise agnostic".

AshleyLove.

AshleyLove & FrankiiBaby.
Ehh, yeah. I pretty much sit on an invisible religious fence. Pulling myself back and forth from ideas of Christianity and Agnosticism.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
I don't really view it as siting on a fence of any sort, it's just there's no evidence to go either way really. There is a lack of evidence for the existence of god, but on the other hand there's a lack of evidence proving there is no god as well. But it seems as if someone is always trying to make me make up mind in hurry, though I don't see the rush, I'll find out for myself when I die, but I'd say the Theists in general are always the one's giving me the most problems, I have yet to have a Jehovah's Witness or a Mormon knock on my door on Sunday morning after working all of Saturday night, give me a compelling reason to believe in god, what's worse and makes me slam the door in their face is when I know more about their religion than they do. Though I find the occasional Atheist who thinks the "compelling" lack of evidence for the existence of a deity, is why everyone should be atheist, rather annoying as well, they might not have any reason to believe in a god of any sorts, but that doesn't mean others don't.

"The lack of evidence, isn't the evidence of absence" - Gin Rummy, The Boondocks

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
It used to bother me a lot since I considered atheism or Christianity as the only choices for me. I struggled to believe a lot of what is written in the Bible and yet at the same time I had a spiritual side that needed satisfying. It was a constant state of questioning and getting my hopes up only to be disappointed. Finally, I gave up caring, now I merely try to live by a philosophy and try to be happy and to make others happy... no more wasting my time wondering if there is a God or not.

The way I see it, if we have to ask, "Does God exist?" then He either doesn't, or He's not too fussed whether we believe in Him or not.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
Good point, so do you subscribe to any particular branch of Buddhism like Theravada?

Still in the process of learning about all the particular aspects of it. But I'll probably end up doing my own thing in the end; taking what's useful and what works for me and leaving what doesn't... which is Buddhist in itself... paradox? :confused:

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Would that be called non-denominational Buddhism then? But does being Buddhist help keep the over eager Christians at bay trying to convert? I don't know about England, but here in Florida the Mormons are everywhere trying to convert people, I've even run into them after concerts, guess they think rock concerts are Atheist breeding grounds or something. It gets interesting sometimes though, after a Casualties and Dropkick Murphys show we almost had them questioning their beliefs.

Last edited:

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
Would that be called non-denominational Buddhism then?

I suppose you could say that. Calling oneself a Buddhist in the first place is a little... off. I mean it's a label that hinders rather than helps. I just stuck it there next to, "my religion" so people would have an idea of what I think (or don't think) about certain issues e.g. abortion - I have no opinion on it.

Sorry if that makes no sense... I have man flu...

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
But does being Buddhist help keep the over eager Christians at bay trying to convert?

I wouldn't know, my friend, that doesn't really happen here in England much. I mean I could probably count on one hand the number of times a JW has knocked on my door.

HoldemDB9

Does being an agnostic feel like you're sitting on a fence? Or that you're trying juggle and understand your relationship between theism and atheism, like being on a seesaw? :seesaw:

Which one do you find more frustrating? :banghead3 Religion? Or atheism? If religion, which one trouble you the most? :(

I don't see myself as in the middle of Atheism and Theism, because Atheism makes much much more sense to me than Theism does. I find religion and its followers extremely frustrating. Its not belief in God that I find frustrating, its how they claim to know how God works, etc. And that their way is the one true obvious way and anyone who apparently "chooses" to not believe will be punished and deserves to be punished. Ive tried numerous times to become a Christian and the main thing that has stopped me are its followers and their ignorance/narrow minds. I really do think that an honest, open minded person cannot truly follow any mainstream religion.

I seemed to lean more to the atheist side as well, but I find religion much more fascinating.

However, I do find religion also frustrating, not because what they believe, but when religious people trying to impose their religion upon us. Trying to push Creationism into science classrooms. Or getting into politics, and imposing their morality upon us, by trying to ban this or that.

Atheism would be frustrating too if they trying to ban religion, like they did in China and the former Soviet Union. I believed everyone are entitled to their belief,
even if I don't agree or like them.

Moderation should rule.

I agree. There are plenty of other things that I think are just as far fetched as religion. For example, believing in Karma or Astrology. But religion is always given more credit and taken more seriously than something like Astrology, even though the two are just as ridiculous as each other.

gnostic

The Lost One
holdenDB9 said:
Its not belief in God that I find frustrating, its how they claim to know how God works, etc.

That's true. I feel the same way.

holdendb9 said:
And that their way is the one true obvious way and anyone who apparently "chooses" to not believe will be punished and deserves to be punished.

A dogma that I can't accept.

holdendb9 said:
I agree. There are plenty of other things that I think are just as far fetched as religion. For example, believing in Karma or Astrology. But religion is always given more credit and taken more seriously than something like Astrology, even though the two are just as ridiculous as each other.

My main problem as stated earlier (in earlier posts) is not so much as their belief as to the way they tried to enforce their belief upon others.

I am quite happy to read their scriptures, or any other "scriptures", because I have a love of mythology. Greek and Norse mythology are wonderful, and I view something like the Genesis as pure myth. What I find objectionable is that some of the believers take it seriously and tried to push their belief in science classroom. Science is science. And theology should be kept in their proper places.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Gnostic,

Does being an agnostic feel like you're sitting on a fence?
Interesting question! Though may appear to be a fence sitter as friend S-word said in a post but do not sit even though am also an agnostic.
Or that you're trying juggle and understand your relationship between theism and atheism, like being on a seesaw?
There is no juggling as it is both theism and atheism depending from what point of view one sees from

Which one do you find more frustrating? Religion? Or atheism? If religion, which one trouble you the most?
Being comfortable with both, have no issues with either.

Or do you don't trouble yourself with religion?[/]
True do not follow any organised religion as only do things religiously of my own.
Love & rgds

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.
I went through a rather long agnostic phase before becoming atheist, so hopefully you won't take offense to my commenting despite not being agnostic.

When I was an agnostic I didn't, and I still don't, view it as fence-sitting. If neither side persuades you, the only honest choice is to admit you don't know. Choosing a side without being persuaded is dishonest - there's nothing fence-sitting about it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Neither :) As an agnostic, I am very sure of where I stand in regards to things.

I find atheism more frustrating, simply because the atheist doesn't have the mental tools handy to make the connections that might lead him to understand the theist or the nonetheist. Those (philosophical) tools are not out of reach, though.

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.
I find atheism more frustrating, simply because the atheist doesn't have the mental tools handy to make the connections that might lead him to understand the theist or the nonetheist. Those (philosophical) tools are not out of reach, though.

What mental tools are these and how did I lose them on my journey from Christianity to atheism?