• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question(s) For Bahais

vulcanlogician

I'm not Bahai, but one of my favorite YouTubers is starting a series on them. Zevi is a true scholar and gentleman, so I'm fairly certain he is doing the Bahai some justice.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I noticed that @Seeker of White Light identifies as Bahai, and I got a little curious.
How does one become a Bahai, and what teaching is it based upon?

Hi @nPeace ,

A Baha'i is someone who follows the Teachings of Baha’u’llah and tries to put them into practice in their lives. There are no rituals or ceremony. If someone believes in Baha'u'llah they are already a Baha'i. There is a formal enrolment process for administrative purposes where one signs a declaration card and the local assembly may ensure the new Baha'i understands what being a Bahai means and they are committed to it.

I thought this link would be helpful.

How Do I Become a Baha’i?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I noticed that @Seeker of White Light identifies as Bahai, and I got a little curious.

I tried to join twice. Lol! At first I liked the Baha’i ideals and so joined. But when I found out what it was really all about I almost begged to join again but they said there was no need to.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I tried to join twice. Lol! At first I liked the Baha’i ideals and so joined. But when I found out what it was really all about I almost begged to join again but they said there was no need to.

What exactly made you want to join twice?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Hi @nPeace ,

A Baha'i is someone who follows the Teachings of Baha’u’llah and tries to put them into practice in their lives. There are no rituals or ceremony. If someone believes in Baha'u'llah they are already a Baha'i. There is a formal enrolment process for administrative purposes where one signs a declaration card and the local assembly may ensure the new Baha'i understands what being a Bahai means and they are committed to it.

I thought this link would be helpful.

How Do I Become a Baha’i?
Thank you... Especially for giving me a reference.
You become a true Baha’i when you start to believe in Baha’u’llah and in the teachings of Baha’i. You simply need to make an individual commitment to follow the teachings of Baha’u’llah.

So, how does one know if that person believes in Bahaullah or his teachings.
People misinterpret writings, and they can have doubts, about things.
How can one tell that the person is a true Bahai, considering those two factors?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Reading further...
The members believe that each person walks a personal spiritual journey and makes their own personal decision. After one as walked the mystical path and has looked inside their soul, he or she is close to achieving complete transformation to a Baha’i.

I don't understand this.
If one must believe in Bahaullah and his teachings, how can one "walk a personal spiritual journey and make their own personal decision"?

Does this mean one can practice Sufism, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, etc., and still achieve complete transformation to a Baha’i?

@Dawnofhope or other Bahai, can you help with this?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
So, how does one know if that person believes in Bahaullah or his teachings.

I know if someone believes in Baha'u'llah by their words and actions. If someone says they are a Baha'i, demonstrates they understand what being a Bahai means and their actions are consistent with what Baha'u'llah taught, then I consider them a Baha'i.

People misinterpret writings, and they can have doubts, about things.

That is true for most of us. It does not affect their being a Baha'i unless they no longer believe in Baha'u'llah and follow His Teachings.

How can one tell that the person is a true Bahai, considering those two factors?

As above.

I don't understand this.
If one must believe in Bahaullah and his teachings, how can one "walk a personal spiritual journey and makes their own personal decision"?

The decision to become a Baha'i is a personal decision. When I became a Baha'i I made personal decisions about how I would apply the Teachings to my life. Around this time I choose to forgive family and to no longer consume alcohol. I also adapted my spiritual practices such as prayer; meditation and study.

Does this mean one can practice Sufism, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, etc., and still achieve complete transformation to a Baha’i?

Personally, the only religion I have followed prior to becoming a Baha'i is Christianity. For me there is no conflict between following the Teachings of Christ and following Baha'u'llah. Obviously I could not follow the teachings and doctrines of some Churches as they contradict the Baha'i Teachings. Part of my personal spiritual journey has been reconciling my Christian upbringing with being a Bahai.

I hope that helps. I'm aware that Baha'is have a fundamentally different approach to these matters than the JWs.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I can see that @Dawnofhope already answered that question, but from my own experience I became a Baha'i when I signed a card saying that I believe in Baha'u'llah. I forgot what the card said since that was about 52 years ago.

The Baha'i teaching is based upon what Baha'u'llah wrote which is what we believe was.....

A revelation from God

Last edited: