• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions concerning Gnostics

Theweirdtophat

I have little knowledge about Gnosticism but I was wondering, would this be considered an abrahamic religion? I hear they look at Christ but do they worship Jesus or just show respect for him?

Is there a difference between a Gnostic and a Gnostic Christian? If so, what might it be? what are their views on the afterlife, such as Heaven/reincarnation. Do they have a place of worship like Gnostic temples or churches or do they worship at home? Do they worship God or just respect him? What are their views on magic? Do they practice it?

Theweirdtophat

Sorry just asking if others knew as I haven't found decent reliable resources and thought I'd ask some Gnostics here.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Sorry for the slow response. I'm not around much anymore.

I have little knowledge about Gnosticism but I was wondering, would this be considered an abrahamic religion?
It could be in a sense but not in the normal sense of that term as gnostics generally see the creator of this world as an inferior being.

I hear they look at Christ but do they worship Jesus or just show respect for him?
Depends on the individual really

Is there a difference between a Gnostic and a Gnostic Christian? If so, what might it be?
There are non-christian forms of gnosticism. A gnostic christian would be following the christian expression.

what are their views on the afterlife, such as Heaven/reincarnation.
Again depends on the individual. There is not much in the classical literature on those subjects.

Do they have a place of worship like Gnostic temples or churches or do they worship at home?
The ancient gnostics often were part of orthodox congregations but some separated out and formed their own communities with their own places of worship.

Do they worship God or just respect him?
depends...

What are their views on magic? Do they practice it?
Magic is not part of gnostic thought or practice. Simon Magus, the magician, became associated with gnosticism by orthodox detractors.

VargDrakon

To expand on what has already been said:
I have little knowledge about Gnosticism but I was wondering, would this be considered an abrahamic religion?
Yes, and no. It was born out of Abrahamic religions so it can be considered one from a historical perspective, but it disagrees with a lot of what is considered typical of an Abrahamic religion and thus might not be considered to be one from a philosophical/theological perspective.

I hear they look at Christ but do they worship Jesus or just show respect for him?
Most of the classical Gnostic groups viewed and revered him as a divine figure. Of the gnostic groups that survived through the middle ages the Druze do this and while the Mandaeans do not. Some modern revival Gnostics do, some don't.

Is there a difference between a Gnostic and a Gnostic Christian? If so, what might it be?
Yes. Although "Gnostic" was a term invented to describe a certain group of Christians and that group has been the most influential overall not all of what is usually defined as Gnostic is Christian. For example the Mandaeans mentioned above actively reject Jesus. The difference is very simple: if they revere Jesus in any way they are Gnostic Christians (or syncretic with Christian elements), if they don't they are not.

what are their views on the afterlife, such as Heaven/reincarnation.
The classical Gnostics had a concept of possibly being reunited with the true god after death and some (like the Cathars) believed that you would be reincarnated if you failed this. As for the modern revival Gnostics: some believe in these things, some don't.

Do they have a place of worship like Gnostic temples or churches or do they worship at home?
The classical Gnostics did. The Druze and Mandaeans do. Most modern revival Gnostics don't, but the Ecclesia Gnostica is an exception (at-least in some parts of the world).

Do they worship God or just respect him?
The Druze and Mandaeans do worship God. With the classical types it is a bit harder to know since the emphasis in their text and the commentary on them tends to focus on Gnosis (internal knowledge) rather than worship. I tend to assume they did, if not not the way modern Orthodox/Catholic/Reformation Christianity do. Among the modern revivalists it varies widely.

What are their views on magic? Do they practice it?
When it comes to the classical Gnostic I'm unsure. Some probably did practice it since some other early Christians did, but it was not a central part of the religions of either. As for the modern ones; again, some do, some don't.

Last edited:

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all

Here in my country (South Africa) there is a very active Christian Gnostic group called the Renaissance Congregation. I know they worship in their own churches as I visited one. Their leader, as far as I know, is Abel Pienaar. I've read some of his books and can recommend it.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Not all Gnostics are Christian. I'm a Luciferian. I can appreciate the Christ archetype, however, as Christ is a sort of Light Bringer. As for Yahweh/Allah, he/it is the Demiurge in my system of belief. I don't think he/it is a true creator, but a perverter and one who misleads. I believe in reincarnation until the soul finds the Key to break free from this realm and Ascend to a higher reality. Gnostic Luciferians typically practice forms of divination and magick, we don't have temples/churches of our own (that I know of) and are either solitary or join an order.